A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have an idea for improving the Craftster swap process?  Suggest and discuss it here on the Talk About The Swap Process board.
Total Members: 300,923
Currently Running With Scissors:
670 Guests and 16 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: cheapest pasta machine?  (Read 1772 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

leesespieces
lisa a crochet!

"lisa's going to decorate it" - dirty dancing =)

View Profile WWW
« on: May 13, 2007 11:26:58 AM »

i saw a pasta clay machine at ac moore yesterday on sale for $10, but my fiance, who's a cook, said you can get a regular pasta machine at some places for as low as $7. how much was your pasta machine and where did you get it, or do you know of any online place to get one for cheap?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

YourDadsMistress
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2007 11:30:24 AM »

This might not help, but if you are looking for a good deal online... like hmm $5 then shipping will be just as much, so its easier to just get the one at AC Moore since itll be about the same money.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Diane B.

GlassAttic --polymer clay "encyclopedia"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2007 11:51:03 AM »

I've never heard of getting a pasta machine for as cheap as $7 (unless from a thrift shop, or a friend, etc.), but $10 would be pretty cheap too.

Be aware though that there's a wide variety of pasta machines available, and they're often of different quality and some are definitely not good for polymer clay.  The ones made in Italy are the sturdiest and smoothest working, whereas the ones made in the Far East are less so.

Recently, Amaco (distributor of Fimo clays in the US) has been selling one of the Far Eastern ones under their brandname, and you can get those at Michaels for $25 (or $15 with their biweekly 40% off coupon)... other craft stores have similar machines, and sometimes have coupons too.  That's what I would recommend as long as you learn how to not stress the machine by putting in large or hard wads of clay, for example, which will ruin it.
In general, the $15 is about as cheap as you can go, though perhaps AC Moore has done the same thing as Amaco or perhaps Joanne's for even cheaper.

There are some really cr*ppy pasta machines out there though, and if they're trying to unload something like that, I'd be worried.  Unless you buy a pasta machine that's being sold by a store "for polymer clay," you often wouldn't be able to return it if it's really bad.

(as mentioned in another thread today however, the newer Italian-made Atlases are also having some problems... but they're not on the cheap side anyway)

You might want to check out this page on Pasta Machines for more info on buying one, and taking care of it:
http://www.glassattic.com/polymer/pastamachines.htm

P.S.  I'd be interested in knowing exactly where your BF has seen pasta machines for $7... does he perhaps get a discount at some kind of wholesaler, as a cook?  If not, there are a lot of clayers who'd love to have that info (as well as what brands they are)!  TIA.

HTH, and have fun with whatever you get!

Diane B.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2007 11:57:02 AM by Diane B. » THIS ROCKS   Logged

POLYMER CLAY "ENCYCLOPEDIA" 
http://glassattic.com/polymer/contents.htm
few of my photos
http://s96.photobucket.com/albums/l163/DianeBB
(had to move them from YahooPhotos, so many now without captions)
super sushi
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2007 12:54:16 PM »

Well mine was $40 so yours is a bargain!
LOL
THIS ROCKS   Logged
leesespieces
lisa a crochet!

"lisa's going to decorate it" - dirty dancing =)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2007 02:01:00 PM »

....i'm having a feeling i should've just bought the $10 one (especially since it was originally $20) and not listened to boyfriend lol. especially since that sale is over now. =(
THIS ROCKS   Logged

hello color!
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2007 10:56:52 AM »

Yeah.. Unless he really CAN get it for $7? I mean, if it's not very good, you're out only $7, and you might like to have a dedicated pasta machine just for white clay, for example, anyway.

The shipping alone on mine was $7, so you def. won't find a better deal online. I ended up paying $30 after shipping for my Marcato Ampia. It's pretty much the same as Marcato Atlas, but it's an older line, which didn't matter to me since it hadn't been used! And, the reason I chose it over Atlas, it has a black handle instead of that icky beige one. I notice a lot of people saying you really need to use the clamp. I haven't because it's more convenient to put it on my dresser, and I haven't had problems, so maybe it's also heavier. (However, I don't use it to condition clay since the clay I use is the air drying variety which doesn't need conditioning, so maybe that's why.)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
miezimau

Till he comes home

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2007 05:20:22 PM »

got mine used at a Goodwill for 2.99$ Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

WIPs

The WIPs Phenomenon

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2007 07:11:52 PM »

got mine used at a Goodwill for 2.99$ Cheesy

Lucky Duck! Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

100 Themes ATC: 1/100 Grin
something_wierd
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Evil will always triumph because good is dumb.

I like pointy things.

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2007 08:19:34 PM »

I got mine through Dick Blick probably 5 years ago.  The one in the picture was the Amaco one (here) I think, but what I got was an Aldente brand pasta machine.  It is identical to the typical Atlases except that the numbers go in reverse.  I think my mom may have paid roughly $30 shipped. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Polymer Clay Challenge #2 has a winner, RobbinZombie!  her entry was The Kraken  She will receive a prize from Persephone Rose!
jennifrb
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2007 04:48:30 AM »

Watch what you get!  I bought one at AC Moore for $10 and already killed it! 

I don't think I over did it with big wads of clay (where was Diane B's post when I first got it?).  I hadn't even used a whole pack of clay at one time in it yet.

So now I'm in the market for a new one...
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Best Day Time Eye Shadows
Beauty Truth or Dare with Coco Rocha & Chanel Iman
Recipes for Radiant Skin
5 Things to Try This April 2014
How to Make an Organic Sugar Scrub
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Chalkboard Wine Glasses
Handmade Gift Ideas: Wooden Chain
Handmade Gift Ideas: Upcycled Car Trash Bag

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...