A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News 05/06/14: Craftster has gone mobile!  Read the big news here!
Total Members: 297,471
Currently Running With Scissors:
543 Guests and 27 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Naugahyde creases from folding  (Read 1323 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Zelda.Suicide
« on: May 14, 2007 01:03:56 PM »

So I have a TON of naugahyde that I have in a box under my desk, ideally I would have liked to have been storing it rolled so it wouldn't get creases, but I don't have the space, so now it's got creased where it's folded to fit into the box.  What I am wondering is, if there is any way to get rid of the creases?
Will a little heat take care of them, or will it cause more harm than good?

If I can't get rid of the creases I am quite limited to how to use all this naugahyde and that's no good at all because I have big plans for it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

terrorandstrife
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2007 03:26:12 PM »

you will definitely want to test this with a small piece first, but I have done this with vinyl without noticeable damage...

get an iron on low (LOW!) heat (the vinyl was super thin, so you may need a little bit more heat, but I'd be scared of melting anything!) and cover the area to be ironed with a medium-density piece of cotton. press, but don't drag the iron for a few seconds, and make sure to check every few seconds to make sure everything is a-ok under there!

make sure that you do this on interior side, so that if there is any melting you're not left with a cotton-woven-melted imprint!

if that doesn't work, you may want to try hot water - if you have a deck or a large, flat-ish area in your backyard this will be easier). heat up some water and have at 'er. I'm not sure how the fabric part of the naugahyde backing is attached, so you may want to test that out beforehand, too... if you have a clothesline, that might work really well also. a really strong clothesline.

another idea that may possibly work: use aforementioned deck, and spread the 'hyde out on a sunny day.

beyond those, I have no idea... a bunch of tiny naugahyde coasters?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I found the spot where truth echoes and know each beauty mark by heart - but I just can't keep her still enough to render perfect art.
Zelda.Suicide
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2007 04:26:55 PM »

Thanks, I will give the iron a try later tonight, living in an apartment I don't really have a space for hot water, other than in the shower, or to lay it out.

It's funny you mention the coasters, I was actually planning to make placemats and coaster sets with them, it may have to just be coasters though if I can't get the creases out.

Thanks again.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Getting A Salon Style Blowout At Home
3 Hairstyles That Look Great Wet or Dry
Princess Roll Hairstyle Tutorial
Salma Hayek’s Beauty School: Easy Wavy Hair
How to Make Your Blowout Last the Entire Week
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Sandwich Wrap
Falling Leaves
Meatless Monday: Provencal Inspired Quiche

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...