A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: If you see a project that you think is awesome and deserves to be a featured project, you can click the THIS ROCKS button to nominate it!
Total Members: 302,605
Currently Running With Scissors:
650 Guests and 10 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: wee halter dress (now with a wee tute)  (Read 19195 times)
Tags for this thread: tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

SnowfallDesigns
« Reply #20 on: May 19, 2007 08:03:07 PM »

OOh!! I love the brown one...your stuff is such an inspiration!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

bluwave06
Tutorial Contributor

Fifties Twist

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: May 22, 2007 09:25:40 AM »

Those are so Pretty! I love the flower one.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

vegbee
Tutorial Contributor

tip-toeing though the pixels

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: May 22, 2007 11:31:25 AM »

Thanks all!

Very cute!  They are both so pretty.  I was wondering how you learned to make your own patterns.  Is it just trial and error or do you have a book?  Just curious how you learned.  Thanks! 

Sorry, somehow missed your question. 

I am learning by trial and error.  I only starting sewing a year and a bit ago, and I can't follow patterns because I think the way they put things together is silly.  (die burda die!)  I am definitely stumbling along here, but am probably learning a lot faster than if I could use patterns, since once I learnt how things go together design-wise, techique is easy to come by.

I have a stock of previous patterns I've made from pre-existing clothing and then altered every which way to improve fit, style, etc.  From these I motify endlessly: adding and subtracting sleeves, length, shape (a-line, straight, etc), strapes, collars, hoods.  And then, to make increase sizes (or decrease - although my kid generally seems to go in just one direction  Grin), I've studied the few patterns people have given me, and figured out what dimensions are increased by how much.  I also saved a copy of every pattern I've made/motified on brown post paper and filed it, so I don't have recreate everytime.

But for these halters, I took my kid's measurements and just winged it.  I think when you sew enough for one particular person, it becomes intuitive.  Still, I always expect my first go at it to just be the tester (and I try out new techniques on these too - zippers, appliques, top stitches, etc).  I'm always delighted when the tester turns out alright.

And I have been studing various books from the library.  My favorite, which is so beyond my skill level, but I find something new everytime I look through it, is 'The Art of Fashion Draping' by Amaden-Crawford.

I also spend a lot of time people watching, particularly kids, and see what clothes work for them, what looks comfy, and what's crap.  (There is a lot of ill-fitting crap out there, especially from the big stores.)  This may make me creepy?  Shocked  I find it more useful when designing to see real people wearing clothes, rather than clothes on hangers or on runway models.

Oh, and I briefly exploited a little granny for all of her knowledge and a use of a stitcher, but quickly grew more advanced then she could help me with, although watching what she did with the material was very helpful. 

So, basically, the point of this long winded response, is that I will take information in any form I can get and exploit if fully.  Craftster itself has probably been my greatest source of info and inspiration (prob wouldn't of started sewing if I hadn't had such yearning to possess what I've been on this site).

And, I talk too much.  Sorry, I should know better than to answer after a double tall latte.
 Tongue
THIS ROCKS   Logged

cheytown
« Reply #23 on: May 22, 2007 02:25:07 PM »

So, basically, the point of this long winded response, is that I will take information in any form I can get and exploit if fully.  Craftster itself has probably been my greatest source of info and inspiration (prob wouldn't of started sewing if I hadn't had such yearning to possess what I've been on this site).

And, I talk too much.  Sorry, I should know better than to answer after a double tall latte.

even though i didn't ask the original question, i really enjoyed reading your response. i've struggled with stupid patterns for ages - i could follow them for the most part, but you're right, they are silly! and nothing ever turned out the way i thought it would. anyway, my frustration with that basically made me give up on sewing for the last 20 years. (ouch! i just totally dated myself didn't i?) it is great to get insight into a different approach/perspective from somebody who makes who makes such wonderful things! so feel free to post under the influence of double tall lattes any time!  Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged
rozekitten

Glue, buttons, and a wall. Hmmm...

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #24 on: May 22, 2007 04:33:14 PM »

Thanks Vegbee.  That's pretty much what I do too.  Guess I'm just still working on there.  I have a little old granny too, except it's my mom and not a granny.  She lives about 800 miles away too.  So I guess I'll have to keep driving my daughter crazy.   Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

anitasplace

Monkey #1 as seen by Monkey #2

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 22, 2007 10:48:38 PM »

Me too!  I have been sewing about a month or so now.  I have a few patterns, but staring at them doesn't seem to help me understand them.  Like you said Vegbee (paraphasing now), looking at people waring clothes helps more than looking at a pattern.

I love the dresses!  When I saw the first one I started to think about making one for myself!  And I'm lovin' the slip on the second.  The applique on it is sooo cute!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
louw
« Reply #26 on: May 23, 2007 12:56:23 AM »

i love both!!!
lovely little girl too Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged
aislinsmommee
« Reply #27 on: May 23, 2007 05:55:40 AM »

vegbee, I have to say honestly that you are my biggest inspiration on Craftster. It makes me feel so much better that I'm not the only one that goes without using a pattern.  Smiley  Your stuff is always so adorable and professional looking, and your wee monkey is GORGEOUS!! Thanks for posting your stuff and sharing with us.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

If you dont have anything nice to say, at least have the decency to be vague.
vegbee
Tutorial Contributor

tip-toeing though the pixels

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: May 23, 2007 11:24:07 AM »

Thanks guys!  And aislinsmommee, stop!, you're freakin' me out!  Cheesy

THIS ROCKS   Logged

aislinsmommee
« Reply #29 on: May 23, 2007 05:14:31 PM »

ack! I promise, I'm no stalker. that would require waaaay too much energy on my part. LOL. i just believe in letting someone know when they do something good.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

If you dont have anything nice to say, at least have the decency to be vague.
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make Plasticine
How to Make Green Plasticine
How to Make White Plasticine
How to Make Fluorescent Slime
How to Make Slime Using Corn Flour
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...