A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Fanatic Friends of Craftster now have the ability to disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 297,148
Currently Running With Scissors:
585 Guests and 33 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Two new bags I've made...Halloween and tweed/wool  (Read 1486 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

smoon26
« on: November 11, 2004 12:20:13 PM »

Here are my two newest bags...that means number 2 and number 3 to be exact...

http://home.comcast.net/~bmoon16/images/DSCN5846.JPG

First the Red spiderweb bag...I really would have preferred white, but the red was what I found.  My husband kept calling it my spiderman bag, which is bit annoying...didn't really think of that when I bought the fabric.  Then I found the shiny web fabric for the lining at walmart on clearance for I think a buck a yard.  Then the little plastic spide was added.  Just used it for the couple days up to halloween.  i don't know what I'll do with it now.  Do I have room to store it?  Do I have room to store the gazillion other things that I have stored?  Depends on if you ask me or my husband.  Wink

http://home.comcast.net/~bmoon16/images/DSCN5851.JPG

http://home.comcast.net/~bmoon16/images/DSCN5852.JPG

Now the brownish one...I don't know if you consider this tweed or wool.  I think more wool, but regardless...I was at the goodwill the other day, just seeing what was new (our local target gives their clearance to goodwill, so I can usually get a couple knick knacking things pretty cheap--again, do I have room, really?).  I started to look through the mens suitcoats, thinking I could use some as fabric for crafts, since I was buying that kind of fabric anyway.  I found one for I think $4.98.  I was looking at it a little closer, and thought lo and behold, I could cut the pattern out around the pocket and have premade pockets!! Brilliant (although I'm sure many of you have thought of this already).  And the lining was already taken care of, so for $4.98, plus tax, plus the minimal cost of stabalizer, boning, and thread, I have this cute little bag.  I put pockets into the lining also, and topped them with the wool.  If the lining would have been different, I would have used the inside chest pocket as an interior pocket for the purse (the pocket was connected to the button placket).  I cut the outside pocket lining down, since it was longer than the bag would be.  Next time, I will try to find a bigger coat, as this was the biggest I could make the bag, due to the width between the pocket and the button placket/side seams.  There is still PLENTY of fabric left over for other projects, but I don't think I could squeeze pieces big enough for another purse due to the seams.  This coat was on the smaller size, so a large coat would probably get me two.

And now I see that the angle of my pics makes the bag look lopsided!  It's not...honest.  now it just needs a great brooch, or maybe a fabric flower to set it off.  I may go back and put a flap on the bag also, like Kate Spade Sam bags?  I think I can still do that, and it would finish off the top nicely.  Didn't think of it last night at midnight.   Grin

Thanks for looking everyone, and feedback/suggestions are MORE than welcome!!
smoon26

http://home.comcast.net/~bmoon16/images/DSCN5847.JPG

http://home.comcast.net/~bmoon16/images/DSCN5850.JPG

The wool line in this pic is the top of the pockets.

http://home.comcast.net/~bmoon16/images/DSCN5848.JPG
« Last Edit: August 05, 2011 10:24:55 AM by jungrrl - Reason: changed non-working images to links. » THIS ROCKS   Logged
dalaimama

In the spring the grass grows all by itself.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2004 12:34:03 PM »

Great bags!  I especially love the tweed one.  They look very professional Cheesy  You said you used boning...did you use it for the handles?  is that why they stand up so beautifully? I haven't used boning before, can you tell me how it is to sew with?  I think a vintage brooch on the tweed would set it off perfectly.  Thanks for posting, I'm looking forward to seeing more Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Come Visit My Online Shop! Bella Dia Designs
smoon26
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2004 01:40:40 PM »

Thanks so much...
Yes, the boning is in the handles.  I used polyester boning, in the 1/2" size-either black or white.  The polyester boning is really easy to sew through...it's actually 5 or six tiny plastic "wires" that are held together by polyester, so it goes through the machine well.  I can take a pic of it later and post it if you'd like to see it for yourself.
 After you turn the bag right side out, but before you sew on the lining, is when to put the handles on.  Here's a quick sketch...

The curve line is the handle...this is how I sew it on...(red lines).  Then I sew the lining on the outside (wrong side out), then turn inside out kind of, so the lining is on the inside, and the bag is still right side out.  This makes the handles go right up.  Then I top stitch.  Sewing the handles on this way, and then turning the lning in, is how they stand up so nice, the topstitching helps also.  I know this isn't real clear, but I'm hoping it's kind of how you do it anyway, so you'll understand.  Let me know if it's really off the wall, and I'll explain it better.

More specifically, just for the handles, I cut strips that are 1 1/2" wide, and the length I need.  Then I sew 1/4" seams, and then turn them inside out, so that you have 1/2" straps.  You can make them a touch wider if you want, so that you have a little more room to get the boning through.  Then just thread the boning. I put tape on the end of the boning, or else it will just push itself all apart.  Hope you understand my lousy instructions (I am hurrying--I hear my baby stirring upstairs, and my son is running around me while I type--talk about distracting).
smoon26
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Katya
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2004 06:41:41 PM »

Those look extremely well done and professional.
Congrats!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
dyabolica

Gaze into my eyes and submit to my puppy dominion!

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2004 07:32:29 AM »

Extremely nicely sewn, I like the tweed one best, the spider one is cute too though. I can't find the sew thru boning in my fabric stores, they only have the solid stuff thats in like a bias tape cover, i have had to resort to aquarium tubing to make my stand up handles. Im curious on what weight interfacing you use? I like timtex but its so pricey I usually wait till its 50 percent off notions day, what do you use?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

R.I.P Jon 7.15.07 I will never get over losing you!
End the war in Iraq, we have lost enough our
Fathers, Mothers, Sons and Daughters! I won't be on Craftster for a while, I am just not feeling creative.
krebstar5
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2004 07:54:48 AM »

I like the spider bag because it reminds me of spiderman.  To me, that's a really good thing.  I would use it all year round and not just on Halloween either.

The tweed one is great because it is classic.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I have a blog-
http://smalerie.com

Rule 1: To do rather than watch.
http://www.journeyofwill.com
smoon26
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2004 09:30:15 AM »

for the "interfacing"...on the spider bag, I used Peltex (I think that's what it is called).  Its very thick craft stabalizer.  On the tweed, I used just heavyweight stabalizer.  These again are stabalizers, not marked as interfacing, but they are in the same place at the fabric stores.

I think I really like the heavyweight better than the peltex for these size of bags.  Easier to sew, and  to get the seams to lay flat when Ironing (in fact, on the spider bag, I used some fabritac to get the seams to lay down better).  I s'pose if I was making a large tote or something, I would like the peltex--I just wish my sewing machine had a higher deck!  You could always do a double layer of the heavyweight to get it stiffer, especially on lightweight fabrics.  The peltex (I hope thats the right name, BTW) was around 4.50 a yard though, whereas the heavyweight was only a dollar something.  I'll definately stick with heavyweight when I can.  The other bag that I posted pics of-my first-used only midweight (they were out of heavy), and it slumps after only one hectic weekend.  It was a lighter weight fabric, so it really need more.

For the boning, I found my boning (hehe, I said boning <couldn't resist>) at JoAnns and Hancock fabrics.  I don't think I saw it at either walmart or hobby lobby, and I haven't looked at the "nicer" fabric stores...Here I'll post a pic of it  (taking a few minutes to load it up here).

There...I took a pic of the black so it would show up better.  You can see why I tape the edges, no?  It unravels.  But, with tape on the ends, it's so much easier to thread into the straps (can the other kind even be done?).  It is a little more expesive, like a dollar more a yard or so, but so worth it.  I took this pic with the peltex and the heavyweight stabalizer also, so you can (hopefully) see the difference.  The peltex is almost like a stiff felt.

Oh, and one last little bit...I used plastic canvas in the bottom of the bag, under the lining, to give the bottom a "surface"  Just cut it the size of the bottom of the bag.  I tacked it down a bit with more good ol' fabritac just to get it to not float around, although I don't think it would even with out it.  I think that helps quite a bit.  Didn't know if that trick was common knowledge or not, so just thought I'd add it.

Hope that answers your ??  If not, let me know, I'll try better  Smiley

Thanks for the comments everyone...I get more motivated to make more stuff with each one!!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
dalaimama

In the spring the grass grows all by itself.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2004 09:47:43 AM »

Thanks for the explanation smoon26. Cheesy  I'm going to the fabric store this weekend and will buy some boning to try it out. Btw, your explanation was very clear  Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Come Visit My Online Shop! Bella Dia Designs
dyabolica

Gaze into my eyes and submit to my puppy dominion!

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2004 12:37:18 PM »

Well I go to Hancocks and JoAnns but neither of them have the sew thru boning, so maybe its a regional thing. I guess I can order it online, and I will have to try the peltex stuff too, thanks fo the heads up.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

R.I.P Jon 7.15.07 I will never get over losing you!
End the war in Iraq, we have lost enough our
Fathers, Mothers, Sons and Daughters! I won't be on Craftster for a while, I am just not feeling creative.
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to make an Origami Waterbomb or Paper Balloon
How to Fold an Origami Eight Pointed Star
How to Fold an Origami Six Piece Lotus Flower
How to Fold an Origami Box with a Lid
How to Fold a Paper Football
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: DIY Drum Light
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...