A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have an idea for improving the Craftster swap process?  Suggest and discuss it here on the Talk About The Swap Process board.
Total Members: 297,066
Currently Running With Scissors:
557 Guests and 22 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Please help with Starsky -- belt question [UPDATED: more help plz!!!- PICS]  (Read 742 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

PrettyCranium
« on: May 11, 2007 08:43:40 PM »

Hi everyone,

I know a lot of people here have knitted fabulous Starsky-s, so I was hoping for some help.  I've tried searching the past KALs, but I can't find my answer.  The part I'm stuck on, of all things, is the belt.  The pattern says:

Pattern row:  [K1, sl 1 with yarn held to front of work] to end
Repeat pattern row until work measures 63 inches.

Question 1:  Is this really supposed to be K1, sl 1 with yarn held to *front* of work?  Or is it a regular sl st knitwise, where the yarn is held to the *back* of the work?  What does the belt end up looking like?  In the pictures it looks like a nice stocking stitch, but if I try knitting it this way, will it look like that?

Question 2:  So with the way the pattern is written, do I start row 2 with K1?  Or do I just keep alternating knits and slips around and around?

I hope my questions make sense and I appreciate any help.  I hope to have my nice warm wooly sweater done in time for the heat of summer!   Tongue

UPDATE:

So, I thought I had figured the belt out, but the more of it I knit, the more I'm starting to think I'm doing something wrong.  What I'm getting is basically a thick tube that is closed at the top end and involutes inward at the bottom.  The top edge and the bottom edge seem to be attatched.  I keep knitting and knitting and I seem to only make very slow, slow progress.

Here are some pics (ignore the colours, the lighting is bad -- it's really a nice cranberry):

Bottom view:

Top view:

Does this look right to all of you guys?  Does this belt just take forever to knit?   Huh
« Last Edit: May 12, 2007 08:38:27 PM by PrettyCranium » THIS ROCKS   Logged
soozeq
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2007 06:06:58 AM »

Yes slip with the yarn in front, then start the row with k1; you'll be slipping the stitches you knitted in the previous row and it will result in stockinette on both sides.

sue
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sue
PrettyCranium
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2007 08:51:09 AM »

Did you slip the stitches knitwise ore purlwise?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
soozeq
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2007 09:20:31 AM »

I didn't make the sweater but am familiar with double knitting. Slip purllwise.

sue
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sue
PrettyCranium
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2007 10:46:55 AM »

Thanks for that. Does this count as double knitting then?  I've been meaning to try that technique.  Am I actually learning how to do it with this belt?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
soozeq
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2007 04:46:25 PM »

Yes, this is double knitting, as in making a 2 sided fabric, that's like a tube closed on both end. It's not double knitting as in making a picture in your knitting.

sue
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sue
PrettyCranium
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2007 08:44:45 PM »

Could you look at the pics I've posted above?  Is this what you mean by a tube closed on both ends?   Huh
THIS ROCKS   Logged
soozeq
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2007 08:47:23 PM »

Why are you using all the dpns? This is a tube, yes, but it's supposed to be knit on 2 needles and not in the round but back and forth to make it flat. That's the point of slipping every other stitch - the slipped stitch is the knit stitch on the next row. And yes, this method takes forever.

sue
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sue
PrettyCranium
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2007 08:53:50 PM »

Why are you using all the dpns? This is a tube, yes, but it's supposed to be knit on 2 needles and not in the round but back and forth to make it flat. That's the point of slipping every other stitch - the slipped stitch is the knit stitch on the next row. And yes, this method takes forever.

sue

What what what??  Holy moley, are you serious?   Shocked

The pattern says in materials 1 set of DPNs . . .

. . . so I presumed that you use the whole set.  I guess I thought it would end up like a flattened tube.

So do you use only two of the DPNs?  And turn after every row?  If so, what is the point of using DPNs at all?  Couldn't you just use regular straight needles?

I have a feeling that I'm having a serious mental block here.   Undecided
THIS ROCKS   Logged
soozeq
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2007 05:26:53 AM »

I think you're supposed to use only 2 of them, though it should have said so. Iguess you'd use them because they're short and you're not handling that many stitches. Notice the pattern talks about rows, not rounds. That's a clue that you'll be knitting back and forth. What you've got is probably not wrong if you've been following the k1, sl1 directions, so just take out the extra needles and work with 2.

sue
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sue
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Cozy Up in These Cute Kitschy Sweaters Right Now
Get Stars Looks For Less From Celeb Boutique
Capes No Longer For Superheroes
Prabal Gurung For Target
Celeb Inspired Funny Halloween Costumes
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Decoupaged Table Top
August 20, 2014 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Faux Cross Stitch Sweatshirt

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...