A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Monday, May 23 News:  Please take a moment to congratulate and thank our newest Craftster Moderators, lindyv321, pottermouth, PerfectlyBohemian, Mistress Jennie and LovelyMiss!
Total Members: 305,662
Currently Running With Scissors:
460 Guests and 16 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 25
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Pantyhose/Tights/Nylons  (Read 85458 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

wordie
« on: January 29, 2004 03:49:50 PM »

so i have a pair of stockings (or tights, or nylons, or pantyhose, depending where you grew up) that i bought months ago. they're the wrong size (*grr* misleading packaging *grr*) and there is no hope of me ever wearing them, and of course i no longer have the receipt. they're neat: they're black and have a herringbone texture. aside from giving them to a skinnier friend, what can i do with these? armwarmers seem like the obvious way to go, but maybe a little boring... any crafty inspirations?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
abricot
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2004 04:17:26 PM »

Well the first thing that came time mind was bank robbing, but I sure there are much better things to do with panty hose...

If part of them would fit from your calf to your ankle, I'd carefully cut that portion off and put a bit of clear nail polish on the edges to keep the edges from running while I was working... I'd fold over the top/bottom edges and sew those down to keep it looking smooth... and trim with a ribbon on top so I could keep it sort of "tied" to my leg so it would not roll off when walking.. It makes sort of like a fitted leg warmer (or a pair of knee-high socks without feet)...

I've done something similar to several pairs of my own stockings since I have this curse where I always end up with big holes in the toes after wearing a pair once...  Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Lovely Craaaft! Wonderful Craaaft! Lovely Craaaft! Wonderful Craft. Cra-a-a-a-a-a-a-ft. Cra-a-a-a-a-a-a-ft. Cra-a-a-a-a-a-a-ft. Cra-a-a-a-a-a-a-ft. <--- sing to the tune of the "Spam" song....
Goddess
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2004 05:19:35 PM »

cut the feet off, and cut a hole in the crotch part, and you can wear them as a shirt under something
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Lenae
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2004 08:14:11 PM »

Turning them into knee socks would be cute.  You could add ribbon to the top.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
susank
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2004 01:06:35 PM »

2 ideas:

stockings have culinary use.  Might not be what you wanted to do with a cool herringbone pattern, but you can wash them and use them for straining fine things.
One great example: Homemade Hooch in the recent ReadyMade mag http://readymademag.com/currentissue.php

Another idea is to cut off the feet and use the legs to make covers for pillows (or whatever).  The tights and pattern would let the underlying fabric show through.  You could pull the leg-tubes over a lampshade, and that might be rad.  Just glue the edges of the tights over the edges of the lampshade, onto the inside.

--susan.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

mac_U
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2004 02:09:41 PM »

i'm sure alot of u know this if, but u could make screens out of them to make ur own paper.  you simply take a wire hanger and reshape it into a square frame then cover the stocking over it.  
THIS ROCKS   Logged
carpejugulum

Gothic Martha Stewart

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2004 06:54:34 PM »

I'll second the motion on the shirt. Whenever the crotches of my numerous pairs of fishnets go to hell, I tear them a little bigger and make fun sleeves to wear under boring teeshirts.

You can also snip them up if they are of a stable material and use them as fun insets in a de/reconstructed shirt. As in, take a tank top that's too small, slit the seams down the sides, and use parts of your tights to widen the top. sexxxay.

I make fingerless fawcy gloves with the toes of my beat-up tights too. Just trim them to a proper glove length, place them on your hands, and snip holes in the toe where your fingers would pop out. mm.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Well, you don't say.
yousmellspecial
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2004 01:57:08 AM »

you could also make a nice little choker, if you're into that kind of thing. i always wanted to do that with fishnets, but never had a spare pair. (not the whole stocking, just a small portion would do, of course)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
moobaa
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2004 10:33:13 PM »

Makes wings for bugs!.
Or a wicked flower with black petals.  
Or an evil dark fairy!
Or bats for halloween!
Shape some wire or wire coat hangers into the shape you want and cover it with the stocking, you can even add glitter glue and rhinestones!
 Cheesy Cheesy Roll Eyes Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Roll Eyes Tongue
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Your just jealous cause the voices only want to talk to me!
Tracey
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2004 08:58:41 AM »

Anyone remember the book about the "crafty little girl"  "Jillian Jigs" you know about her marvelous, wonderful pigs? that she made out of pantyhose? That could be fun, have a goth type piggie! I think it'd be cute  Roll Eyes
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Love your ememies..... It will drive them nuts!
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 25 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

How-To Videos
Expert Reveals Best Makeup Tricks To Look Red Carpet Ready
6 Coconut Oil Beauty Hacks
10 Beauty Product Hacks That Can Save the Day
How To Contour Your Nose
Out-of-Sight Makeup Primers for All of Your Beauty Needs
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Reusable Dryer Sheets
Tute Tuesday: Painted Background
Easy Summer Salads

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...