A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Please remember to SEARCH before asking a question that may have already been answered. Thanks!
Total Members: 297,155
Currently Running With Scissors:
577 Guests and 22 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: empty cigarette packs  (Read 14188 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

algebraashley

i could so make something out of this....

View Profile WWW
« on: October 29, 2003 08:26:00 AM »

okay so my friend smokes alot
i mean alot, the floor board of his car is often resembling a work of art with stacks of empty cigarette boxes

my question is what in the world could i do with them?

thanks guys

xox
THIS ROCKS   Logged

i like boring things- andy warhol
leah
Global Moderator
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

formerly "the craftster admin" - viva craftster!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2003 09:40:14 AM »

okay so my friend smokes alot
i mean alot, the floor board of his car is often resembling a work of art with stacks of empty cigarette boxes

my question is what in the world could i do with them?

Not too long ago, there was a discussion on Glitter about "prison folk art."  Which basically means, I guess, common styles of arts/crafts that people have made in prison over time.

If you google "prison folk art" you'll find all kinds of interesting things including things woven out of strips of cigarette boxes like this:

http://www.rubylane.com/shops/prettyvintage/item/PV-272
http://www.cellblockvisions.com/artgallery2.html
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Want to support Craftster? Find out about becoming a Friend of Craftster!

{ craftastic.com | leahkramer.com | helloadorable.com }
crazy_bout_you11
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2003 11:22:27 AM »

that is some really cool cigg art. i would love to have a purse like is shown in the 1st website. i haven't figured out how to go about doing this though. any ideas??
THIS ROCKS   Logged
shelikeshim
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2003 10:56:57 PM »

when i smoked i would keep my empty cigarette packs and glue faux fur on them, line them and put a fastener on them and give them away as coin purses.
but lucky strike cigarettes come in soft packs don't they ? only the hard box forms would work for this.

drum packets could work nicely too. a little more work though.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
marisa

making it up as we go

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2003 06:04:05 AM »

my grandma used to wrap tons of empty hardpacks (and other little boxes you'd normally throw away) in wrapping paper, then glue them in two or three layers (stacked on top of each other) onto a styrofoam wreath/ring.  she gave them to people as christmas presents, and they would hang them on their walls in horror i'm sure.  
she used really dorky paper, but if you used solid colors it could be pretty, and it wouldn't necessarily have to be a wreath.  
THIS ROCKS   Logged
jinxya26

But I gotta Rock!!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2003 08:19:55 AM »

I really like the coin purse idea!! You could also put toothpicks, bandaids, all that good stuff in them!!  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
cheesedip

Llama? Hmmmm...

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2003 11:06:08 AM »

Thankyou so much! My Grandma smokes like an industrial chimney, but I've never thought of doing anything with her smelly old boxes! I am gonna try the coin purse idea, it sounds like it would turn out really well.   Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"It is much more comfortable to be mad and know it, than to be sane and have one's doubts."
- G. B. Burgin
SilverBamboo

"Don't dream it... Be It."

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2003 02:28:01 AM »

This is an awesome thread... and I admit it, I smoke.

I recently switched to Nat Sherman natural cigarettes, which isn't the point, but... The individual packs open from the side, like you're opening a medicine cabinet. This makes them more chest-like, for lack of a more intelligent term, and I finally did something with a handful of them:
First, I spray-painted them; then I decorated them (some with photos of the recipient, some with recycled greeting card images), pasted a message inside them and threw in a few trinkets... to utilize them as kind of mini-gifts or Christmas cards with a little surprise in them. They fit 3 tealight candles great, and I hope my nieces and nephews really like the trinkets (I'm sure they'll be fine with the money) I put inside theirs.

I realize these aren't the average cigarette package, Nats kind of lend themselves to being creative by producing a unique shape. For years I've been plagued by what could be done with all the old generic packs... Thanks for all the great ideas!

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Make something beautiful.
Diana
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2003 10:22:22 AM »

When I quit smoking last May, I chewed a lot of gum and fidgeted a whole bunch...so I started a big gum wrapper purse made from Juicy Fruit and Big Red! I wrapped and wrapped and wrapped, and I am still wrapping! Now, whenever I look at all those lengths of wrappers, I have to remind myself that I am not actually in prison and cannot commit the larger part of my day to this purse and that it is ok if I finish it in 2015... Roll Eyes
So, my advice is: make small purses.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Kallese
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2003 12:42:24 PM »

DIY playing card deck holders!

THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Your New Summer Tee: Think Prints!
Closet Essentials Every Woman Needs
4 Hot Summer Concert Outfits
Look Great in Stripes
4 Foolproof Ways to Jump on the Leather Shorts Trend
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: DIY Drum Light
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...