A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Curious if a project is for sale, or if someone wants to do a private swap with you?  Please Personal Message the member rather than posting on the thread.
Total Members: 297,206
Currently Running With Scissors:
434 Guests and 10 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Time-consuming knitting projects  (Read 1261 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

grusinskaya
« on: May 11, 2007 09:28:36 AM »

Have any of you ever knit something for a year or longer and actually finished it?

I'm asking because I'm beginning to get discouraged with this sweater I'm knitting right now. I cast on in December and knit furiously over winter break & ended up finishing the first half of the front panel then. It seemed like an accomplishment to me, because the sweater I'm knitting comes from a vintage pattern & is knit on size 2 and 3 needles.

So because I finished so much in just a week, I kind of tricked myself into thinking I could get it done by mid-may. However, schoolwork got in the way, and though I knit a row or two here or there, I haven't had time to finish even the first panel, much less the back panel and the sleeves.

I picked it up again a few days ago & realized that I knit an extra repeat of lace that's going to make my sweater waaaaay too long, so I have to rip some of it out. Maybe I'm over-reacting, I just have this horrible feeling like this sweater is never going to get done. I've never met another knitter who has put more than six months or so into a project without giving up. Can it be done? Or should I just toss it in the closet?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
isisfae
New England Yarn Addict

i poke badgers with spoons!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2007 09:40:46 AM »

i have a Branching Out scarf that i've been working on since February... it's not really a WIP since i don't work on it often, but it's not a UFO b/c i do pick it up from time to time. to get it finished, what i've decided to do is try to do at least one full pattern repeat a day (10 rows). most days i do it, most days i don't want to be bothered, and i don't work on it, i don't feel bad.

first take a deep breath and grab your knit check/ruler/measuring tape. now, see how many rows = 1 inch in the pattern. have that? okay. now, take that # (lets say it's 4 rows/inch since that's pretty standard gauge) and multiply it by a # of inches that you think you could manage to knit per day (for ease, let's say 2 inches). 4 x 2 = 8 rows. hmmm 8 rows. that's not that bad is it? so knit those 8 rows and when you're done... move to another project you're more into, or keep going and knit another 8 rows.

setting small daily goals will lead to the larger goal of finishing the item and you won't feel overwhelmed at all.

that help you at all?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. ~Mark Twain
Loo
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2007 10:56:29 AM »

Don't give up! It sounds like you really want to finish it. I just completed the only pair of socks I've ever attempted. I think I started them 1.5 yrs ago. I just let it sit for a while because I decided I didn't like making socks. This past winter, I decided to finish up the few UFO's I had & the socks were first on the list. In finishing them, I realized my knitting gauge has changed a bit, but I kept going.

My mother got them in the mail yesterday as her Mother's Day gift and loved them. It can be done! And here's the picture to prove it:

« Last Edit: March 03, 2010 09:37:53 AM by jungrrl - Reason: fixed a coding issue » THIS ROCKS   Logged

"I'd hate to be the only funny bouncing one in the room."  -Ani Difranco

http://seelooknit.blogspot.com/
Mnemosyne_LA
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2007 11:04:35 AM »

I don't think there's any rule that you have to finish everything you start, but it does sound like you want to finish it. 

Like Isisfae suggested, I'd break it down into small chunks, either knitting X rows/repeats a day or knitting x number of minutes a day.  Don't do anything crazy like, "Okay, I'm going to devote two hours a day to this sweater!" because you'll get burned out and give up.  Start small -- "I'll knit two rows every day" or "I'll knit one repeat every day." 

And do NOT set a time limit for yourself.  Just make a commitment to work on it every day and it will get done eventually (or be big enough to fit King Kong, but that's a whole other problem.  Wink )
THIS ROCKS   Logged
grusinskaya
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2007 11:22:25 AM »

Thank you so much! I was kind of getting overwhelmed by it, and I think breaking it up into # of rows per day would really help me.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
TheCraftyCat

The truth is out there... anybody got the URL?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2007 11:39:13 AM »

Don't give up!  It's easy to look at a large WIP and say "This will never get done!" but it can be done.  Just set little daily/weekly goals, and before you know it, you'll be done.

I started knitting a throw blanket two winters ago.  I didn't work on it at all last summer (it was way too hot to sit around under a partially finished chenille blanket).  I worked on it a bit this past winter, and I've again put it away for the summer.  Maybe next winter I'll get it done Smiley

I look forward to seeing your finished product.  Smiley
« Last Edit: May 11, 2007 01:01:29 PM by TheCraftyCat » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Lisendral
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2007 12:51:16 PM »

My Pomatomus socks were like that for me. Normally, I finish a pair of socks within about two weeks. Those? About three months. So I finally decided that I was going to do half a pattern repeat per night. They got done (and then were frogged because the yarn was not right for the pattern, but hey). I'm suffering from SSS for the second pair of Poma's, but once I finish the two summer tank knits that I'm working on, I'll get back to it. And do the same "work half a pattern repeat" method.

Honestly, you can do any project, no matter how large or unwieldy, so long as you break it into manageable chunks. It's a methodology that I incorporate into many parts of my life, and it's been working well for the past few years.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

rebeccajane
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2007 12:20:38 PM »

Ugh, I knit on a poncho (Sheer from Magknits) for over six months. It was insane. Size five needles, nearly lace-weight yarn, unending rounds of stockinette. I worked on it most every day and because of my extreme paranoia of not finishing projects, didn't work on anything else in the meanwhile. In the end, it turned out lovely, but, um, a poncho. I wore it twice before ponchos were over.

So, I guess what I took from the experience is to go ahead and spend a ridiculous amount of time knitting something breathtaking and perfect... just be reasonably sure that it's not too trendy but something that you'll love for a while.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

lupinbunny

the bunny with the loops

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2007 05:48:05 PM »

i started anatolia in march 2006. i finished knitting all the pieces in february 2007. it would be finished, except that i've discovered that the sleeves don't fit into the sleeve caps and need to be redone. and that, i have to admit, was the final straw. i threw it in a box until i'm ready to deal with it again.

to be honest, i got sick of looking at it. the yarn and colours are beautiful, so i'm sure in a few months i'll pick it up again and do what needs to be done. just not right now. and i'm zen with that. it's okay.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

piratekittie
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2007 06:42:10 AM »

No worries. I started a razor cami probably 2 years ago and it's still not even close to being done. Also, my 3-hour sweater has turned into the 5-month (and still counting) sweater.... I figure when things get done they get done. As long as I don't run out of needles to start new projects I'm fine. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

HUGE Spring Cleaning Sale!!!!
Etsy: http://karenmaiko.etsy.com

I have a Blog!
 http://karenmaiko.blogspot.com
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Leelee Sobeski Sports a White Jil Sander Gown at Vanity Fair Tribeca Party
Best Dressed Celebs at the Coachella Music Festival
How To Rock Zahara Jolie-Pitt’s Spring/Summer Look On A Budget
The Hottest Styles for Kids This Spring
Fostering Your Child’s Inner Fashionista on a Budget
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Pumpkin Spice Latte
@Home This Weekend: DIY Drum Light
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...