A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 300,853
Currently Running With Scissors:
650 Guests and 26 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: College Bound older sister  (Read 695 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Gina At the Disco
« on: May 09, 2007 03:05:10 PM »

this fall my older sister is going to move out to go to college.  I finally get my own room *singlecheer* but I'm definately going to miss her *singletear*.  I want to make her something for her dorm that will remind her of our room and our family but I'm stumped. Any suggestions? thanks a bunch!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

listen to the music playing in your head
kittycitycrafter

The Clarks www.clarksonline.com

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2007 04:18:23 PM »

How about one of those padded bulletin boards with the ribbon across to stash momentoes, reminders, etc.  You could cover it with some recycled or similar fabric from your home?  You could start her off with a family picture.

I'll join your cheer/tear!  Cry /;D
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"If I had a magic charm
It would protect you from all harm
There'd be no sirens to alarm
We could stay here every day
And if I were a super hero
Good guys all the villains zero
I'd save you from all that is evil
So you can sleep at night"

by the Clarks
Report Abuse:
1-800-4-A-CHILD
TrentSketch
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2007 04:48:32 PM »

Whatever you do, couple it with ear plugs so your sister can sleep.  I had to leave campus housing because the noise was so bad I couldn't get any sleep at night.  I became practically nocturnal and wound up sleeping through a week or two of class before checking out of the dorm for good and commuting.

Blankets are always appreciated.  A nice warm fleece throw in her favorite color that you can stencil some messages on or iron-on transfer some pictures would be great as well.

You could also pick up a pre-made tote bag (or sew your own) and decorate it to remind her of home.  Sometimes you just want to forget about the big lumpy messenger/sling/backpack and grab something light and easy to handle, and a tote bag is always a welcome addition.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Gina At the Disco
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2007 01:58:13 PM »

thanks for the tips! ill be sure to post whenever i finish whatever im going to do Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ImaginationsEnd
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2007 10:19:47 PM »

Stuffed animals are always good. Or a blanket or pillow. Maybe you could iron on/transfer a bunch of images of your family onto various sizes of fabric and make a quilt or a quilted pillow case for her.

A photo album is great, or picture frames. A hand bound photo album is definately a treasure.

Stamps, a letter set, some pens, and pre-addressed printed envelopes are cool....It will remind her to write to you guys.

I don't know about her dorms, but in mine, there were nothing to do but watch movies. If your family was into home movies, you could make a clip show, like, the "Best of" DVD of your family. She can show you guys off to her friends, or keep it to herself for those lonely moments.

Maybe not something you can make, but if she doesn't have a cell phone, or it doesn't work inside the dorm building, get her a calling card, in case she gets lonely. I don't know how many I went through, and I was only in the dorms for 6 months.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

You Were From a Perfect World....A World That Threw Me Away.

My Knitting Blog
mimi123333
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2007 10:24:44 PM »

Another idea... how about decorating a basket that would hold all your sister's shower supplies.  At least when I was in the dorms we had to haul our shampoo and such back and forth.  It'd be fun if your sister had a really cute basket from you.  And you could fill it with lots of yummy bath/shower supplies that you know your sister loves. 

And one more idea... dorm rooms are usually quite dull so maybe you could make her some art for her walls.  Maybe some photo collages of you guys and your family.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Promise me you'll always remember:
you're braver than you believe, and
stronger than you seem and
smarter than you think"
-- Christopher Robin to Pooh
mimi123333
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2007 10:30:47 PM »

Blankets are always appreciated.  A nice warm fleece throw in her favorite color that you can stencil some messages on or iron-on transfer some pictures would be great as well.

I second the fleece throw idea.  I got one of these from my boyfriend's mom and love it.  Then, I made on for my little sister.  She loves her's too.  It's so simple really.  Mine is Finding Nemo print, her's is Strawberry Shortcake.  Pick a print that reminds you of your sister or one that is something you share with your sister.  There's so many cute character/theme fleeces out there.  Then just buy a big piece of this fleece.  I think I got something like 2 yards, but you can go small too.  Then to finish the blanket it just made a fringe of two of the posing ends by making cuts one inch apart and about 2 inches into the fabric and then tied those into knots.  That was it.  Quick, easy, simple, and something she'll love!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Promise me you'll always remember:
you're braver than you believe, and
stronger than you seem and
smarter than you think"
-- Christopher Robin to Pooh
Gina At the Disco
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2007 09:23:48 AM »

thanks so much! im love the fleece throw idea
THIS ROCKS   Logged

TheCraftyCat

The truth is out there... anybody got the URL?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2007 10:35:09 AM »

The possibilities are endless, but dorm rooms are notoriously tiny, and she will almost certainly have at least one roommate, possibly more, so large objects are not a good idea (with the exception of a bedspread).

Some useful things:
- Shower caddy (fill with her favorite shower gels and stuff)
- Washcloths/towel embroidered with her name or initials
- Desk caddy
- Write-on/wipe-off memo board (embellish it with a frame or something)
- A throw pillow or blanket in her favorite color

Some not-as-useful-but-still-fun things:
- Framed photo of the family
- A stuffed animal
- A small framed piece of art (needlepoint, cross stitch, painting, whatever)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

poseursteph
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2007 10:52:47 AM »

Whatever you do, couple it with ear plugs so your sister can sleep.  I had to leave campus housing because the noise was so bad I couldn't get any sleep at night.  I became practically nocturnal and wound up sleeping through a week or two of class before checking out of the dorm for good and commuting.

Oh that sounds so terrible!  Those eye masks that block out light are good too. My dorm room last semester faced a parking lot and the blinds on my windows did nothing to block out the light. In the middle of the night it seemed like it was during the day because the parking lot lights were so bright. Even hanging blankets/sheets in front of my window did not help!

I third the fleece blanket idea, those things are warm, and comfy.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Apply Liquid Skin Illuminator to Look Younger
How to Look After Your Winter Skin with Elemis
How to Apply Smokey Eye Makeup
Is There A Natural Way To Plump Up Your Lips?
Faux Bob and Structured Jacket = Instant Makeover
Latest Blog Articles
Mr X Stitch Presents: The Cutting (& Stitching) Edge - Jose Romussi
Tute Tuesday: Imprinting on Concrete
Mmm, Bacon!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...