A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you know about all of these Craftster features?
Total Members: 302,969
Currently Running With Scissors:
505 Guests and 8 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: my first bags!  (Read 3941 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

chainreaction
« on: January 16, 2004 02:06:25 PM »

alright! so these are the first two bags i've made. i used this tutorial to make both, yet with slight alterations to the sizes.

i made this one as sort of a proto-type.

and my bigger version:

front

lining

back

i made the second one out of an old t-shirt and some teenaged mutant ninja turtles fabric i had. i noticed some bunching/pleating while sewing, and i think it's because the t-shirt is kind of stretchy... anyone have any suggestions as to how i could fix that next time? i'm not really happy with the strap, because there's a lot of bunching/pleating, and so therefore i haven't attached it yet, only with safety pins.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
soapie06
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2004 02:59:48 PM »

cute!
i've made a few like the second one before.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Debzy

I'm a Scouser!!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2004 10:34:57 AM »

oh how cute! i really like them all. the turtles rock too lol my favourite was donatello... (ah, memories...)

a good tip for sewing stretchy fabric is to use iron-on interfacing. it will make the fabric firmer and give a nicer finished effect to your bags  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Life isn't about finding yourself. Life is about creating yourself.
-George Bernard Shaw
thejordy

koala bears instead of cockroaches!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2004 11:44:28 AM »

those are awesome! i ESPECIALLY like the one made out of an old tshirt...

ive got a crapload of old 'vintage' [when i say vintage i mean thrift store] tshirts with like team names on them and stuff.. that i was gonna sell on ebay. hehe maybe i will make bags out of them instead!

great job!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

www.sewingschool.or g - Sewing is Fun!
------------------------------------------------------------
UPDATED Jordy Bag Pattern - Now with illustrations: www.jordynnmackenzi e.com
chainreaction
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2004 01:17:52 PM »

thanks to everyone!

and what's interfacing? i've seen it mentioned a few times in different threads. is it to make the fabric a little more stiff?

and my favorite turtle was michealangello.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
thejordy

koala bears instead of cockroaches!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2004 01:45:43 PM »

interfacing is awesome.

get the iron on stuff.... it will make your fabric stiffer.. and i havent sewn with tshirts yet, but im betting it will stop the puckering thing from happening.

xo
THIS ROCKS   Logged

www.sewingschool.or g - Sewing is Fun!
------------------------------------------------------------
UPDATED Jordy Bag Pattern - Now with illustrations: www.jordynnmackenzi e.com
Debzy

I'm a Scouser!!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2004 02:27:51 PM »

yup, interfacing is your friend  Grin

just ask for it at your fabric store. it usually comes in white or black (sometimes a charcoal greyish colour) but the colour doesn't matter too much as you won't see it on the finished product. if you're using light colours, go for white, if your fabric's dark then use black/grey.

it comes as 'sew-in' or 'iron-on', i prefer the iron on but everyone has their preference. to stop a fabric from stretching, the iron-on is ideal.

if you feel the iron on interfacing, you'll be able to feel one side is rougher than the other. this is the glue  Smiley you need to put this side onto the wrong side of your fabric.
then cover both with a pressing cloth (i use an old tea towel)
set your iron to it's hottest temp, and 'steam' if you've got a steam iron (if not, you can spray your pressing cloth with water, like from one of those plant spraying bottles)

then just iron away! it should only take a few seconds to attach, you can check it as you go. if you think it needs more heat, just iron it again.

you could always try out a few samples first to get the hang of it  Smiley

hope that helps! let us know how you get on  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Life isn't about finding yourself. Life is about creating yourself.
-George Bernard Shaw
beebidollz

and the green grass grows all around

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2004 03:05:00 PM »

i tryed the interfacing.. and when i pulled it through the lining.. i wasnt stiff anymore.. not that is was very stuff to begin with anywayz.. but still..! what hapened??
THIS ROCKS   Logged

werd....
flyhunnie7

too cool for the room

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2004 10:11:59 PM »

tres chic. i like
right now i'm making a bag similar to yours. its a messenger style bag and a matching purse with a terry cloth outside and a cute cotton lining. it's exciting  Roll Eyes
THIS ROCKS   Logged

leftist.feminist.ac tivist.journalist.
miss_mom

Keeping my head above water .... barely!

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2004 08:11:04 AM »

i tryed the interfacing.. and when i pulled it through the lining.. i wasnt stiff anymore.. not that is was very stuff to begin with anywayz.. but still..! what hapened??

beebidollz, I'm pretty sure that interfacing comes in different "weights" - thicknesses, really. You may have to experiment to see which one works best for you. I made a bag for my 3 year old to take to pre-school, ballet etc. that instead of using interfacing as the lining, I used some quilt batting - I had a small piece of the natural cotton kind left over from a quilt I made, but you could use any number of things - old blankets or flannel sheets, thin, lightweight towels, old cloth diapers - I once made a great lap quilt and for the "filling" use the old top of a mattress pad cover!

The bag I made is at pre-school with my daughter right now - I'll try and post a picture of it later.

chainreaction, I love that you made them from the old t-shirts-that's inspired! For the handle next time - try this - I'll do my best to explain it clearly! Especially if you are using a lighter weight material ... Say you want a finished handle that is 1 1/2" wide. Start out with a piece of fabric that is 6" wide. Ironing is a must - so fold the piece in half (right side out), and iron it. The edge you ironed we are going to call Fold 1. Now open it up (with the wrong side facing up), and fold each side in so they meet in the middle, at Fold 1. Iron the new edges. Now fold it in half again on that original Fold 1, and iron the whole thing flat. You will have a handle that is actually 4 thickness of fabric, and should be fairly substantial. When you sew it, sew both sides about 3/8 from the edge of the fabric, and use lots of pins to keep it from twisting and bunching. If you really want more body to it, it would be easy to tuck in some interfacing or other lining inside one of the handle folds before sewing.

Gosh, that was long - hope it was clear!
« Last Edit: January 20, 2004 08:13:53 AM by miss_mom » THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work."  - Thomas Edison
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How a Manufacturer Innovates ECommerce Operations
How Moo Cards Plots a Small Business Design Revolution
How to Improve Design School Education and Teaching
How Startups Benefit by Using Interaction Design
How Design Thinking Problem Solving Can Improve
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Art Pen Case
Sock It To Me!
Meatless Monday: Kale and Edamame Salad

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...