A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News:  Vote now for your favorite craft challenge entry!  THREE amazing Ticketmaster prizes up for grabs this month.  Who will get one?
Total Members: 301,583
Currently Running With Scissors:
529 Guests and 17 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Trying out the pinch and twist technique...  (Read 2107 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

RosiePosie
« on: May 09, 2007 09:09:21 AM »

I've been wanting to try this for a while and I finally got around to it today. I wish I had some gold wire because this mix of beads would have looked better with that than silver. I also was kind of at a loss on how to finish the necklace. The long silver beads hide where I connected the twisting wire to the flexible wire.
Any tips on how to make this better would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks for looking
--Rosie
THIS ROCKS   Logged
riario
:*

expecting our first!

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2007 09:33:52 AM »

wow, i never thought of doing something like this... i really like it  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

lemon_yeye
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2007 01:01:03 PM »

That's fantastic, I'm in love wih it!!! I think I'll make one for myself Wink, but does it weigh a lot? Because it's made with glass beads, isn't it? And what kind of wire did you use?
Be happy!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I wanna rock!!
RosiePosie
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2007 01:07:36 PM »

I'm glad y'all like it! Actually about an hour after I posted it I dismantled it and turned it into a bracelet, lol. I just took the twisted part and added a toggle clasp, it's the right size for my wrist without having to add or take off any beads.
I used a 26 gauge wire. No, it's not heavy at all because most of the beads are plastic. There are a few glass beads mixed in, but not many.
The trick I think to making these is to string on about 1.5-2 feet of beads, keep your wire on the roll, and then start pinching and twisting about 1 foot away from the beads. I hope that makes sense, lol. 
I got the idea from a Simply Beads magazine. If you order their mag you can cancel it after you get your first issue. This project was in their June issue, which is out now. Or you could buy it from a craft store.
Thanks again
--Rosie
THIS ROCKS   Logged
perilously_divine
Moi

Keep on Rock'n in the Craft World

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2007 04:47:21 AM »

I really love this, but I am not quite sure I understand how you did it. You should do a tut or scan the directions <3 Smiley pllllleasssssse
THIS ROCKS   Logged
RosiePosie
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2007 04:24:39 PM »

My scanner is down, so I'll try to tell you how I did it an hopefully it will make sense!

String your beads onto 26 gauge wire. String on about 1-1.5 feet of beads, be as random as you want. Don't cut the wire, leave it attached to the roll. Put a clamp or wrap a bead on about 8 inches from the end of the wire. Slide up the first bead. Fold the wire in half around the bead, and pinch the wire together right below the bead. (You can pull all the beads up to the same length when doing this or you can make them in varying heights.)Gently twist the bead with one hand while holding onto the main wire. Don't twist too hard or too tight or the wire might break. Continue this until all your beads are pinched and twisted . You can finish it off however you like.
The more beads you string on in the beginning the longer your piece will be. It also depends on how close you pinch them together. I used 1 foot of beads roughly to start with and I ended up with a 6 inch piece. The directions suggested wrapping the core of the wire with a thicker wire to give it more stability. I used a 22 ga. for that and I strung on some beads to that as I went.

If anything is unclear let me know! I couldn't find anything online to help as a tutorial, so if I make another one of these I'll take pics along the way.

--Rosie
THIS ROCKS   Logged
brightshadows
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2007 08:21:09 PM »

I really like it! I've used this technique on other things good idea!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Kelda
Pirate Queen

Rock on the dock and never stop.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2007 09:08:02 PM »

Mmm. That's beautiful and gypsy-esque.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Fearlessly willing to try new crafts ... and usually botching them horribly.
My wists
funkyjunkdesigns
Private Jewelry Making Classes Available-Chain & Maille A Specialty

this is made from a bicycle innertube!!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2007 02:45:00 PM »

I really love this, but I am not quite sure I understand how you did it. You should do a tut or scan the directions <3 Smiley pllllleasssssse

She should NOT scan the directions, that is a copyright violation.  You could actually BUY the magazine and get the instructions.

fjd
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Recently Retired Items are now Jewelry...We Support Various Charities!
http://recentlyre-tired.blogspot.com/
RosiePosie
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2007 06:40:36 PM »

funkyjunkdesigns, yeah I realized that too so that's why I just gave my version of how I did it. I don't know if that's still considered a copyright violation, but I'm sure the people at Simply Beads weren't the first to do this technique.
Thanks again everyone for the compliments!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
AOL Motion Canvas: Dancers Man
How Practice Enables Mastery in a Creative Career - Bijoy Goswami
Are Butts The New Boobs?
Social Media, the New Movie Killer?
Follow Your Dreams or Get Paid?
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Making Toys
May 27, 2015 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Solar Light Garden Mushroom

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...