A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have an idea for improving the Craftster swap process?  Suggest and discuss it here on the Talk About The Swap Process board.
Total Members: 296,666
Currently Running With Scissors:
647 Guests and 20 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Owl-orimetry, with pattern!  (Read 36126 times)
Tags for this thread: pattern  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

xamonster

"Ah, curse your sudden but inevitable betrayal!"

View Profile WWW
« on: May 08, 2007 08:37:09 AM »

I enjoyed the Calorimetry pattern from the Winter 2006 issue of Knitty greatly. So much, in fact, that I decided to make lots of my own. I only followed the pattern to a T the very first time around. After that, I was inspired by all sorts of craftsters, many of whom had altered the pattern themselves. I threw in cables, I made it narrower, I made it much wider.

So when I saw a hat with adorable owl cables recently here on Craftster, I thought that another Calorimetry was the next logical step. So, dear craftsters, I bring you Owl-orimetry.

Look at how pretty I am! Too bad it's not actually in focus.
Of course, when I adapted the owl cable pattern, I forgot to take the spacing between the cables into account when I figured the initial stitch count and pattern. This left me with uncentered owls and giant holes, as I didn't feel like short-rowing the whole way. I did, however, like the way the little tabs looked on the ends, but didn't leave them in for the second go-around, when I figured the spacing correctly.

The owl cable pattern isn't mine, by the way. I found it on the world wide internets. Also, this pattern assumes that you're already familiar with the original Calorimetry pattern, and that you know how to do the accompanying short rows.

Owl cable pattern
(11+3 st rep, beg WS)
1: Work one row of reverse stockinette (purls on the right side).
2: [p3, k8], p3
3: k3, [p8, k3]
4: [p3 c4b, c4f], p3
5-11: alternate rows 2-3, beg and end with row 3
12: [p3, c4b, c4f], p3
13: k3, [p8, k3]
14: [p3, k1, p2, k2, p2, k1], p3
15: k3, [p1, k2, p2, k2, p1, k3]
16-17: rep rows 1-2
18: [p3, c4b, c4f], p3
19: k3, [p8, k3]
20: Work one row of reverse stockinette (purls on the right side).

Important note: as you work the twenty rows with the owl cable, you will also incorporate shaping. I did this with short rows. On each row, short row 1 stitch per side, to avoid gaping holes (like the top photograph below).

Short rows are worked on the first 5 of the 9 stitches on the outsides of the markers. Also, these 9 stitches are worked in garter stitch. To make the fun little narrow tab-like ends, the first short row on either side can be worked over 4 stitches, and the rest of the short rows over 1 stitch.

Instructions
Cast on 98 sts. (I like the cable cast on; you can see directions on
Knitting Help, about halfway down the page).

Work two rows of garter stitch. On the second row, place one marker 9 stitches in from either end. (The space between these two markers is where your owl cable pattern will be. From the marker to the end of the row is where the shaping magic will happen.)

Begin owl cable pattern. At the same time, start your short rows. (In other words, work your reverse stockinette to the last stitch, wrap and turn, and start row two.)

RS: Sl wrapped stitch, knit to marker, sl m, begin cable pattern for 7 repeats, sl m, knit to last stitch, wrap and turn.

Continue through cable pattern, wrapping one stitch per row. Once you finish row 11 of the cable pattern, you will have wrapped (short-rowed) 5 stitches on each end. Start increasing your short rows, picking up the wrapped stitches you left behind.

Work final row of owl cable pattern. You should be ending your last short row here on this row.

Work two rows of garter stitch.

Bind off. I used the k2tog method: k2tog, *sl st from RH needle to LH needle, k2tog.*

You should have both of your yarn ends, from the cast on and the bind off, on the same side of your FO. Draw each of the ends through the opposite side, and tie them in a bow. Pop it on your head, and go out on the town! You're now just as stylish, if not more so, than xamonster!

My first edge, with a squished owl and a hole.

The new edge, sans hole.

By the way, this pattern is typed up from the scribbles in my knitting notebook, so mistakes are possible. Let me know and I'll fix it up!

Thanks to sundayafternoonhous ewife for requesting clarification. Sometimes I'm garbled.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2008 06:02:41 PM by xamonster » THIS ROCKS   Logged

"I brought you flours."

Check out my blog and my wist!
anakarina
(*

dear skull , art thou shiny?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2007 11:17:08 AM »

that's great! thanks for the pattern!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Etsy shop! Little knits, ACEOS, & paper goods.

WIST-list
piratekittie
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2007 12:23:52 PM »

That is absolutely adorable! I'm not even one of the many owl-obsessed and I still love it. Hmmm... I think this may have to be added to my future knits list.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

HUGE Spring Cleaning Sale!!!!
Etsy: http://karenmaiko.etsy.com

I have a Blog!
 http://karenmaiko.blogspot.com
xamonster

"Ah, curse your sudden but inevitable betrayal!"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2007 08:30:35 PM »

Thanks, piratekittie and anakarina! Hopefully I can get some clearer photographs and share them, once I found a photographer that isn't me. Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"I brought you flours."

Check out my blog and my wist!
daizyduke
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2009 06:47:15 PM »

I just found this. This is really cute. I might have to make one. Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I have learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel. ~ Maya Angelou
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make an Adorable Watermelon Grill for Your BBQ Centerpiece
How to Make a French Chocolate Mousse
How to Make Red Velvet Cupcakes With Festive Sprinkles
How to Make a Strawberry and Nectarine Crisp
How to Make Homemade Snickers Bars
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Teacup Bird Feeder
Winner of Craft Challenge #100-Pottermouth
July 23, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...