A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have a crafty tattoo?  We'd love to feature it in our Crafty Tattoos blog series!  Share it with us here!
Total Members: 302,560
Currently Running With Scissors:
699 Guests and 24 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: jewelry + boyfriend -engagement?  (Read 1000 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

MichL
« on: May 07, 2007 11:22:37 PM »

Hey all,
hope that my title makes sense. My problem is that my boyfriend and I pretty serious, but too poor and busy to be engaged. That said, I'm a very sentimental person and would like a physical object to commemorate our relationship. He, on the other hand, does not.

I gave him a ring once and he faithfully wore it, but then it broke but he says he doesn't want another ring because having to worry about losing the ring was too stressful. (Although you should have seen him when he thought he lost the ring. He was so worried! I appreciate his worry, but at the same time, don't want to cause him stress.)

So, can anyone think of a nice gift, preferably one that would involve more of an investment of time than money that would be a sort of keepsake?

Thanks in advance for all of your help.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
FredPie
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2007 06:35:23 PM »

Would a necklace be easier on him?  A neat-looking chain or beaded thing that's masculine, but that you know what it means.  Or maybe a key-fob?  Hmm, if he really doesn't want to wear jewelry, why don't you try something he doesn't have to keep with him, but will remind him of you when you're not together: a throw pillow, a photo frame, a scarf? 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Would love to swap, but must admit I'm a little flakey!
MichL
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2007 10:37:58 PM »

I like the pillow or picture frame ideas. I was kind of thinking about a quilt or a knitted afghan.
But I'm a little worried about
1. starting a project that's bigger than I can handle since I don't know how to quilt or knit (except for stockinette)
2. that I'll spend a lot of time on something that won't be appreciated. (I know that I was a little less than appreciative of things my grandmother made me when I was younger)

Also, I'm worried that he'll think that whatever I craft was really made because it's fun to make, rather than to show him how much I care about him.

Thoughts?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
lilian
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2007 07:10:54 PM »

Knit a whole bunch of squares in stockinette, stitch them together, then sew them to a fleece?  i think he would definitely see how much effort/time that you put into it.  also, i don't think projects that big are that "fun," per se, but more a labor of love!  plus it's good to snuggle with if you're not around.

what if you gave him a little dinky tin ring, as a joke?

a scrapbook if your relationship? photographs & all the little reasons you love him?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
lilfishyinbigblu
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2007 07:18:01 PM »

for christmas i gave my boy friend a "quilt" that i made for him. it was pretty easy to make, i bought a peice of fleece pre cut that was made for creating a fleece throw for the back. then got two types of fabric, did some math so figure out how many squares to make, then cut the fabric into large squares and alternated them. sewed it all together and it looked great. he sleeps with it every night witch is pretty cute.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
gothmom
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2007 07:25:22 PM »

Well back in the 1970's (not the 70's show 70's but the real 70's which wasn't as cool and involved a lot more polyester)  we had these leather bracelets that we'd wear and our boyfriends would wear that would say the other person's name. 

It is masculine, but brands him as taken fairly clearly.  (hehehe)

Gothmom

old and proud
THIS ROCKS   Logged
pryor208
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2007 08:26:14 AM »

How about a braided leather bracelet with maybe a cool trinket that represents something to the two of you?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
MichL
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2007 12:40:11 PM »

Thanks for all of the advice. I'll let you know what I decide
THIS ROCKS   Logged
picklesticks

It's ok, we're all friends here.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2007 03:40:11 AM »

I think you should make him a stuffie of you. It would take some time to make and if you made it small, he could have you with him all the time (is that a bit weird?) or you could make him a quilt. I made my bloke a quilt that is a Milly-Molly-Mandy style map of all the places we go. It had his house, my house, uni, the shops, our favourite walk spot, etc.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Healthy Breakfast Oatmeal Recipe
The 411 on Cosmetic Injections
NewBeauty Magazine Beauty Choice Awards: Product Highlights
MAC Collaborated with Kelly and Sharon Osbourne
Best & Worst Beauty
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...