A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
November 17 News: WOW!  Congratulate the winner of DIY Halloween Costumes 2015!
Total Members: 303,789
Currently Running With Scissors:
611 Guests and 12 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Simple A-Line Skirt  (Read 2206 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
« on: May 07, 2007 01:26:12 PM »

I made this skirt using the directions for a simple A-Line skirt with an elastic waist band in Sew What! Skirts http://www.amazon.com/Sew-What-Skirts-Fabulous-Fabrics/dp/1580176259/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/102-5444230-0557749?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1178569304&sr=8-1

I am not entirely happy with the hem, I messed it up a bit, but besides that I am really happy with the skirt. I love the fabric, it is the perfect light cotton for a summer skirt.

self proclaimed starlight fairy queen

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2007 02:03:14 PM »

i love the peacefulness of the color.

if you really hate the hem, my suggestions would be to bring a fabric patch/the skirt to the fabric store and find a thread that matches perfectly, and resew it. it's the perfect way to cover up if you aren't the greatest hemmeister. Wink

otherwise, it looks great!

and remember that [depth] is the greatest of *heights*

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2007 03:19:21 PM »

Really good job-love the fabric (and is that a dropkick murphys shirt?? Grin)
Sewing a hem by hand really isn't that hard-you can use a blind stitch that way.

"People sometimes reproach me with having neither genius nor talent nor deep feeling, but I have a will of my own"Isadora Duncan
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2007 04:45:21 AM »

That's really pretty!  I wouldn't have noticed the hem if you hadn't pointed it out haha and now you have it still doesn't look that bad. Mine are ten times worse so I just put ribbing or bias tape anywhere I needa hem haha.

Zorak: Are you really that stupid?
Brak: I dare you to say that again only this time say Brak I love you.

http://i-am-famous.livejournal.com/ For all my crafty goodness.
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2007 05:01:48 AM »

If you're really worried about the hem than you can cover it with ribbon, bias tape or lace.
Or you can carefully unpick it and hem it with hemming stitch - by hand. It doesn't take very long. It took me about 20 minutes to do 140 cm of hemming by hand which I know isn't as quick as with a machine, but it is very easy.
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2007 09:41:05 AM »

I love the pattern on the fabric, and the way it fades makes it look very soft.  I don't think anyone will notice your hem if you don't point it out, it's not bad at all.  I was so horrible at hemming until I made a few sets of curtains.  All that practice with straight line after unending straight line has really improved my hemming skills.  Covering it is a good option too. 

My husband has the coolest DKMurphys concert shirt (we saw them in London) that he never wears but has absolutely forbid me from reconning.   Embarrassed
Miss Lauren
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2007 07:00:43 AM »

Thats so cute- how much fabric did you use?

Lauren x
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2007 06:34:39 PM »

I just bought this book, and am excited to get going with it myself.  I love this fabric; it works really well for the shape of the skirt.  Ditto on not noticing the hem if you hadn't pointed it out - good work!
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2007 09:03:33 PM »

Hey, thanks for all the compliments. I think I might just redo the hem by hand so it will be less noticeable.

And yes, my shirt is a Dropkick Murphy's shirt, I am from Massachusetts so I have seen them a few times. I actually was wearing it while at the fabric store today and the cashier mentioned she liked them also. It just shows us crafty-types have great taste!

Oh, and Miss Lauren, I used 2 yards of fabric. I think it was 45" wide. That was more than enough to get a pretty full skirt. Though I am a shorty there was enough left to make it a lot longer.

Miss Lauren
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2007 08:06:19 AM »

Thats fab thank you! I'm just buying some fabric to 'attempt' (being the important word here!) my first A line skirt (and item of clothing ever!) so wanted some fabric measurement ideas!

Oh, and Miss Lauren, I used 2 yards of fabric. I think it was 45" wide. That was more than enough to get a pretty full skirt. Though I am a shorty there was enough left to make it a lot longer.
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
The White Shirt You Will Never Stain
10 Black One Pieces That Are Hotter Than Any Bikini
What Victoria Beckham, Reese Witherspoon & More Wear to Work
Hot Summer Trend: Palazzo Pants
Target Hires Real Women for New Swimsuit Campaign
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Holiday Gift Guide: Kindling Bundle
Handmade Holiday Gift Guide: Kitty Coasters
@Home This Weekend: Rustic Wreath

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...

Follow Craftster...