A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can now organize your bookmarks into folders!  Read more here.
Total Members: 302,717
Currently Running With Scissors:
687 Guests and 23 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Simple A-Line Skirt  (Read 2163 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

tricia
« on: May 07, 2007 01:26:12 PM »

I made this skirt using the directions for a simple A-Line skirt with an elastic waist band in Sew What! Skirts http://www.amazon.com/Sew-What-Skirts-Fabulous-Fabrics/dp/1580176259/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/102-5444230-0557749?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1178569304&sr=8-1

I am not entirely happy with the hem, I messed it up a bit, but besides that I am really happy with the skirt. I love the fabric, it is the perfect light cotton for a summer skirt.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Tinkerbellforever
self proclaimed starlight fairy queen

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2007 02:03:14 PM »

i love the peacefulness of the color.

if you really hate the hem, my suggestions would be to bring a fabric patch/the skirt to the fabric store and find a thread that matches perfectly, and resew it. it's the perfect way to cover up if you aren't the greatest hemmeister. Wink

otherwise, it looks great!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

and remember that [depth] is the greatest of *heights*
balkandina

Junk+funk+glue=Art

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2007 03:19:21 PM »

Really good job-love the fabric (and is that a dropkick murphys shirt?? Grin)
Sewing a hem by hand really isn't that hard-you can use a blind stitch that way.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"People sometimes reproach me with having neither genius nor talent nor deep feeling, but I have a will of my own"Isadora Duncan
i_am_alexia
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2007 04:45:21 AM »

That's really pretty!  I wouldn't have noticed the hem if you hadn't pointed it out haha and now you have it still doesn't look that bad. Mine are ten times worse so I just put ribbing or bias tape anywhere I needa hem haha.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Zorak: Are you really that stupid?
Brak: I dare you to say that again only this time say Brak I love you.

http://i-am-famous.livejournal.com/ For all my crafty goodness.
ludicrouslouisa
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2007 05:01:48 AM »

If you're really worried about the hem than you can cover it with ribbon, bias tape or lace.
Or you can carefully unpick it and hem it with hemming stitch - by hand. It doesn't take very long. It took me about 20 minutes to do 140 cm of hemming by hand which I know isn't as quick as with a machine, but it is very easy.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
jennette
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2007 09:41:05 AM »

I love the pattern on the fabric, and the way it fades makes it look very soft.  I don't think anyone will notice your hem if you don't point it out, it's not bad at all.  I was so horrible at hemming until I made a few sets of curtains.  All that practice with straight line after unending straight line has really improved my hemming skills.  Covering it is a good option too. 

My husband has the coolest DKMurphys concert shirt (we saw them in London) that he never wears but has absolutely forbid me from reconning.   Embarrassed
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Miss Lauren
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2007 07:00:43 AM »

Thats so cute- how much fabric did you use?

Lauren x
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sarahblascovich
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2007 06:34:39 PM »

I just bought this book, and am excited to get going with it myself.  I love this fabric; it works really well for the shape of the skirt.  Ditto on not noticing the hem if you hadn't pointed it out - good work!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
tricia
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2007 09:03:33 PM »

Hey, thanks for all the compliments. I think I might just redo the hem by hand so it will be less noticeable.

And yes, my shirt is a Dropkick Murphy's shirt, I am from Massachusetts so I have seen them a few times. I actually was wearing it while at the fabric store today and the cashier mentioned she liked them also. It just shows us crafty-types have great taste!

Oh, and Miss Lauren, I used 2 yards of fabric. I think it was 45" wide. That was more than enough to get a pretty full skirt. Though I am a shorty there was enough left to make it a lot longer.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Miss Lauren
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2007 08:06:19 AM »

Thats fab thank you! I'm just buying some fabric to 'attempt' (being the important word here!) my first A line skirt (and item of clothing ever!) so wanted some fabric measurement ideas!

Oh, and Miss Lauren, I used 2 yards of fabric. I think it was 45" wide. That was more than enough to get a pretty full skirt. Though I am a shorty there was enough left to make it a lot longer.
[/quote]
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make an Origami Bat
How to Make an Origami Inflatable Bunny
How to Make an Origami Flapping Bird
How to Fold an Origami Sailboat
How to Fold an Origami Swan
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Rustic Fabric Pumpkins
I See London; I See France!
Meatless Monday: Zucchini Pineapple Loaf

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...