A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Need help? Click the HELP link at the top of the screen to read the docs or ask at the Help Desk.
Total Members: 297,183
Currently Running With Scissors:
388 Guests and 5 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Professional business suit help  (Read 397 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

patellywells
« on: May 07, 2007 11:20:59 AM »

Hi, again,

I'm a law student working at a big law firm this summer and I need to wear suits every day.  I bought this lovely blazer for $1 at a thrift store.  It looks frumpy in the photo, but trust me, it's very modern-looking and quite flattering.  The jacket is somewhat long, and has slits up the side for movement.  There was no skirt for sale, and a quick search on EBay for the style number revealed nothing.

So, what are my options to make a complete-looking business suit? 

I was thinking I could somehow cut a little strip or shape from inside the lapel and make it into an "accent" on a black pencil skirt.  Or, I was also considering buying ribbon that closely matches the khaki color in the jacket.  I don't want to have a printed skirt because I think that might look tacky. 

Ideas would be appreciated!! Thanks, Craftster!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Ecrire c'est une faon de parler sans tre interrompu.
--Jules Renard
Star217
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2007 11:38:52 AM »

Purchase a nice below the knee length tank dress in a complimentary color, (if the jacket is tan then perhaps a navy dress would be a good color match) and cuff the jacket sleves. Also find a nice pair of slingbackheels, open toes can be a big no no.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Unable to leave good enough alone!
My Store
http://stickyfingers.etsy.com

My Blog
http://stickyfingerscrafts.blogspot.com
ScotSkipper402
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2007 01:12:34 PM »

That's a great jacket.

I like the navy tank dress idea.

YES to the black pencil skirt... but I'd leave it untrimmed. More versitile, and more serious-looking.

You could also make this "suit-y" with a contrast khaki skirt. NOT khaki pants, though... they read business-casual.

Maybe tailored trousers in a tiny glen plaid.

Next on your thrift-shop hunt: PEARLS. Instant seriousness. 

If you're up for it, a scarf with khaki and black/navy (whichever you pick as a bottom neutral) could tie the outfit together.

Sling-backs are OK, but all the lady lawyers I know (that's I a lot -- I live in DC!) wear pumps. Unless they've made partner already.

Shoes are 1 place you need to sink some money into. Better to buy one pair in good plain leather than 3 Payless pairs.

Mazetov on the summer placement!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"For what do we exist, but to laugh at our neighbors and be laughed at in our turn?"

My stash of supplies is now Beyond Life Expectancy. I love personal swaps! http://www.wists.com/redmennis
ScotSkipper402
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2007 01:18:43 PM »

PS: This is a good time to dress like a Frenchwoman.

Fewer pieces. Better quality. Stuff that fits. Variety from accessories.

The jacket is a great start.

BTW, the French shop resale/thrift stores all the time. The French term is "rentrevent" -- which just means "resale" -- but that's my favorite couturier, too.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"For what do we exist, but to laugh at our neighbors and be laughed at in our turn?"

My stash of supplies is now Beyond Life Expectancy. I love personal swaps! http://www.wists.com/redmennis
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Take Better Photos With a Zoom Lens
How to Take Better Photos From Different Heights
How to Take Better Photos Without Zooming
How to Take Better Photos with Fill Flash
How to Take Better Photos by Pre-focusing
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: DIY Drum Light
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...