A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have an idea for improving the Craftster swap process?  Suggest and discuss it here on the Talk About The Swap Process board.
Total Members: 301,633
Currently Running With Scissors:
616 Guests and 12 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: To specialize in one craft or flirt with many different ones?  (Read 2415 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Garnet Bear
your brain is the one with a shell on it

View Profile
« on: May 07, 2007 02:30:19 AM »

So I'm sitting here tonight, working on sewing the trim onto the dress I made tonight, and my husband asked me, "What projects are you taking with us next week?"  We're going on a cruise to Alaska, and will be gone for 12 days.  I'm going to go batty without access to my craft room, and besides bringing my sketchbook with some paper-based crafts (glue, tape, glitter pens, etc), there really isn't much I can pack along without needing tons of supplies and materials.
Just in the last week, I've poured soap, sewn a few dresses, finished an 11X14 illustration that I applied to a backpack, helped build a chicken coop, put together a necklace to match an outfit, sewn two aprons, made a picture frame with pawprints from my dogs, and started a mosaic countertop in my bathroom.  I've been busy!

How many crafts do you guys do?  Do you specialize in just one or two things, or do you like to try every new gadget that you can get your hands on?  What did you start with, and did you stay with it, or move onto something completely different? 
I think my problem is that I get completely infatuated with whatever my "craft of the week" is, gobble up tons of supplies for it, and then burn myself out on it in less than a month. 

I can't be the only one!  At least when the apocolypse comes, I won't be bored as long as I have power to keep my glue gun going. Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Always up for trades! my ATC gallery

Garnet Bear Crafts on Etsy this-a-way
TheCraftyCat

The truth is out there... anybody got the URL?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2007 06:44:47 AM »

I do a few different things.  My primary vice is cross stitch, but after a while, stitching little X's on things gets boring.  Besides cross stitch, I do needlepoint, and I knit.  Right now I'm on a knitting binge.  I also just inherited my mother's old sewing machine, so once I've finished my current knitting WIPs and met an upcoming swap obligation, I'm going to venture into sewing again - something I haven't done since high school.

Variety is the spice of life.   Wink

Small cross stitch and needlepoint projects are great for travel, because they're portable.  You can either buy a kit or make your own "kit" by pre-cutting your floss or yarn and throwing it into a bag with some fabric and the pattern (and don't forget a needle! Wink ).  I stitch little things all the time when I fly and when I take the commuter rail.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

PlumCrafty
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2007 07:05:53 AM »

I freely admit I'm a bit of a craft-tart myself. I have to try everything (but only because I can't keep making the same gifts, honest)! Cheesy

I draw, paint, photograph, sew, cross-stich, tapestry, make cards, journals, albums, cover books. I've even started silversmithing. Plus there are soaps, lotions and candles I want to make. I haven't done knitting and crocheting since I was in school but I'm sure I will take that up again in the not too distant future.

Just recently I made 22 cards for my brother for his yearly supply of birthday cards, then I sewed bibs, bags and dolls for my friend's baby and just started making little notebooks. Its been a pretty busy the past month or so.  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

2012 Swaps
Nov: SS Ornament R3
Sep: MALC 6x6 Canvas
Aug: 4x6 Art5
Jul: Hand-Carved Stamp4 and Vintage
Jun: Journal for a Month2
May: 4x6 Art2 and Crafted Cushion Cover2
Apr: Beginners Inchie3
Mar: Art Journal
Rogue Butterfly
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2007 10:13:26 AM »

I do anything I want when it comes to crafting.  My method of picking up crafts is terribly ADD-like but it's fun.

It started with bead jewelry, really simple stuff.  That progressed to wire art and more complicted bead and wire jewelry.  Then I had to have a skirt for a dance performance so I learned a little sewing and have another sewing project in the works.  Somewhere along the lines I wanted to learn how to knit so I got some needles and yarn.  Then I had an inspiration a dress reconned from a t-shirt but it needed cool accessories so I got some polymer clay to make the hair clip I was envisioning.  Oh and somewhere in there I decided to figure out decoupage because I wanted to make my boyfriend a tin with Betty Paige on it.  He's also getting a decoupaged journal.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Craftinator
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2007 10:21:26 AM »

When I was younger, I used to spend alot of time creating with whatever was around.  I remember doing calligraphy, carving, sewing, painting and drawing, collages, modeling clay, making abstract art using raw, natural materials like dandelion stems, my grandma taught me to crochet and then there's all of the craft projects that are done in school and girl scouts and sunday school.  I loved it and would spend spare hours just creating.

Someone once called me a "Jill of all trades" to which my mother, in the background, replied as she shook her head and sighed "but master of none".

puhleeez.

There are pros and cons to both things so let's just choose to like who we are, OK??  geesh.

Anyway, I seem to be adept at all things crafty - which means my house is usually a total mess and I cannot figure out for da life o' me how a person keeps a house clean and well organized!  But I've come to terms with who I am and am continuously working at improving my shortcomings but not letting them put a damper on who I am.

I continued to expand my crafting knowledge as I got older, adding other crafts to the mix like cake decorating, mosaic, soap making, woodburning, and more.

I used to work at Michael's teaching classes and doing demos and was able to pick up any of the products that were designated for the demos and 'just do it'.  Also, while I was there, I interacted with customers who would ask general questions about crafts and I found out that I knew enough about most areas of the store to effectively help people with just about any craft question ( I would LOVE to become the next Carol Duvall!!!  How do I get there from here??).  The drawback to that was that my experience and knowledge is most areas was pretty general so I wasn't able to answer some of the more specific questions and wasn't able to give the type of advice an expert in the field may be able to give.

So, I think there's good parts to either focusing on one thing or being a Jill of all trades.  And that's OK!!!!

Btw - I'm still speaking to my mother and have chosen to forgive her and extend grace and compassion and mercy her way.
lol
THIS ROCKS   Logged

heini
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2007 10:40:45 AM »

Variety is the spice of life.   Wink
Exactly.

I suppose I started with paper crafts, but I'm not sure because I was so young. But now I do many kinds of crafts. I make cards, altered books and some other paper crafts, sew, quilt, crochet and make bobbin lace. I love weaving, and I'm professional weaver, but I don't have a loom, so I can't do it very often.
I also can knit, wet and needle felt, afghan stitch, make candles, cross stitch and other embroidery, dye, silk screen, stencil and macrame, and the crafts I don't remember just now. These just aren't as much fun as the ones I mentioned above, but sometimes they're fun too.
Now I'd like to learn how to tat and spin.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

AGFH
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2007 10:50:42 AM »

While my main craft is cross-stitch, I also do a little bit of everything else too. I am definetely not stuck in a rut. Some days I want paper, some days beads, some days fabrics, etc. It really all depends on my mood.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I was off to save the world....until I was distracted by something shiny.
Stephen Weaver
Textile boffin

Crusader for a day.....

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2007 11:43:02 AM »

I've done a huge variety of crafts over the years (I'm 45) and now I find that I can combine elements or materials from different crafts into my projects, which is great fun.  I do a lot of tailoring and dressmaking for stage shows and private clients, which leaves me with many gorgeous scraps (available to swap, btw!) and thanks to Craftster and the great tutorials, I've got quite heavily into the book arts over the last 9 months or so.

This means that I can bind books in remnants of great designer fabrics, use lace scraps to decorate pages, sew papers together when needed and generally blur the edges between paper and fabric.  I also have all my embroidery and weaving and knitting supplies to draw upon when needed - and even some mosaic tiles left over.  And of course if you are used to making clothes, the sewing involved in binding books is very simple.

Now all I need is a spare lifetime to make all the projects that are in my head and my notebooks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Enthusiastic worker in almost all textile media, currently heavily involved in theatrical costumes.  Also love papier-mach and mosaic work and gardening.  Happy to meet new people too. 
I DO STASH SWAPS - SEND ME YOUR EXCESS OR UNWANTED MATERIALS AND I WILL SEND MINE!
very_vizsla
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2007 04:22:45 PM »

my main vice is the beading, but i love to crochet, braid leather & do some collage work. it's all good!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Life is too short to wear a boring dog collar - Custom made handbeaded dog collars & martingale collars
WIPs

The WIPs Phenomenon

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2007 06:52:28 PM »

LOL, flirting.

Yes, I do that a lot. Before Craftster, I just knitted and doodled art.

After Craftster... Cheesy

Now, I crochet, bead, origami, cards, decorating random things, home decor, scrapbook, attempted to sew a purse, decoupage, and I just was introduced to polymer clay. And I guess I do photography, but not professionally, but it still counts as a craft right?

I so badly want to make soaps and stuff like that and start stencilling.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

100 Themes ATC: 1/100 Grin
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Stitch Letters Onto Fabric
How to Make Decorative Roses Out of Ribbon
How to Make a Patriotic Tote Bags
How to Make Scarves Without Stitching
How to Make Glove Puppets for Kids
Latest Blog Articles
Craft Challenge #107 Announced – Bottle It Up
Spotlight on: Knitting, Patterns Included
@Home This Weekend: Removable Fabric Wallpaper

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...