A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, remember that you can always click the Modify button to edit the post and add additional information.
Total Members: 302,587
Currently Running With Scissors:
544 Guests and 9 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Mod Podge  (Read 6123 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

isadora
« on: September 03, 2003 10:04:12 AM »

Is it crazy to want a mod podge tutorial?

I'd love to know what techniques people use. For example, every craft instruction tells me to sand it to make it smooth between layers but what grit? 1500 is too fine. I learned that yesterday.

Also, if you sand it does that make it less tacky? Because I've been spraying a very light layer of acrylic sealer over projects to keep it from becoming soft/tacky.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

www.isadora-ink.com
Clever Gifts & Greetings
StarStitches
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2003 11:09:32 AM »

Thats a good qestion! I'm getting ready to make a cigar box purse and was going to use mod podge. I've never sanded it down on other projects before, but I'm sure on the cigar box I should.

On a side note has anyone seen or used the sparkle Mod Podge? Does it sparkle well? Huh
Neesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

www.heydayfashion.c om
Get Your Shop On!
purlgurl

textile arts babe

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2003 10:30:57 AM »

Grin  

Oh, I've used it for projects before and it SPARKLES like crazy.  I made a game about the books we read for my final project in a French class and put the glittery Mod Podge on there to seal the gameboard... my French prof was really young and hip, so she loved it.  In my opinion the stuff rocks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
isadora
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2003 01:24:24 PM »

I think I need to start buying Mod Podge in HUGE containers because I've been experimenting with it a ton lately.

I made a cocktail tray & my BEST LP journal yet. It's seriously badass!

I slathered about five layers of glossy mod on it and then lightly wet sanded it (400 grit as suggested on the label - d'oh!) but it didn't turn out as smooth as I would have liked. I think I was just afraid to sand too much because I didn't want to damage the old LP or the old artwork on my cocktail tray.

Anyway, the sanding *did* make it look nicer/more finished but I could still see paint streaks.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

www.isadora-ink.com
Clever Gifts & Greetings
leah
Global Moderator
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

formerly "the craftster admin" - viva craftster!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2003 06:18:45 AM »

isadora,

I'd love to see your cocktail tray! Any chance you want to post a picture?

Also, did you do anything to waterproof it? I'm always curious about what people use for that.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Want to support Craftster? Find out about becoming a Friend of Craftster!

{ craftastic.com | leahkramer.com | helloadorable.com }
isadora
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2003 06:58:37 AM »

I haven't quite finished the tray yet. I'm going to put a few coats of polyeurothane on the entire thing but I'll post it in the projects area when I'm done!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

www.isadora-ink.com
Clever Gifts & Greetings
singtotheskies

I, too, taste like chicken

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2003 12:42:26 PM »

hi... i feel sorta stupid but i don't know exectly what mod podge is.

I went to the store  to buy some and try it out, but i couldn't bring myself to buy it when it looks just like elmers glue. what's the diff? I can get elmer's for like 30 cents which is like a lot less than 4 bux. (mod podge)

do you use m. p. (mod podge) for decoupaging things? is it shinier? if someone could explain i'd greatly appreciate it.

thx.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I never forget a face, but in your case I'll make an exception.
leah
Global Moderator
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

formerly "the craftster admin" - viva craftster!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2004 07:05:48 PM »

hi... i feel sorta stupid but i don't know exectly what mod podge is.

I went to the store  to buy some and try it out, but i couldn't bring myself to buy it when it looks just like elmers glue. what's the diff? I can get elmer's for like 30 cents which is like a lot less than 4 bux. (mod podge)

do you use m. p. (mod podge) for decoupaging things? is it shinier? if someone could explain i'd greatly appreciate it.

thx.

As I understand it, Modge Podge is "PVA" glue which is also what Elmers is. I think it may just be more watered down or something. In fact, I've heard of people watering down Elmers glue and using in place of Modge Podge. I don't do a lot of decoupaging though. Anyone else have a take on this?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Want to support Craftster? Find out about becoming a Friend of Craftster!

{ craftastic.com | leahkramer.com | helloadorable.com }
comfits
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2004 11:09:28 AM »

some people do just use watered down elmer's glue.  most complain that they get wrinkles, though.  i broke down & bought the big bottle of mod podge.  it's thicker & goes a REALLY long way!!  i've had a lot of luck w/ it--no wrinkles.  it does have a "shiny" finish, but i see that now you can buy it w/o that if you want.  i like the shiny finish.  oh, and yes, it is mainly for decoupage.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
firehead4

Wanna Make Something of It?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2004 01:58:00 PM »

Although i use MP, i can't say it's my fave.
i prefer using a clear craft glue to adhere the image and then heavily varnishing over the paper after it has dried from the glue. i like to use a popsicle stick (when gluing the image down) to smooth things out and avoid bubbles.  A decoupage artist i know says she use a wallpaper paste that comes in a tub. i tried it and it works nicely as well. think about how well wallpaper sticks to walls.  it's a good alternative. i have no idea how they compare dollar-wise, but i do advise any decoupager to experiment with different glues and varnishes (glossy, satin, matte) to see what works best.
my recipe works for me, but others are MP devotees.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2004 01:59:29 PM by firehead4 » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Practicing Random Acts of Creativity

Follow Me at...
http://artforcoffeessake.blogspot.com/
http://youtu.be/Q73M5hiqktA
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make a Steak and Eggs Breakfast
Almond Yogurt Waffles and Strawberry Milkshake Recipe
How to Make Pork and Black Bean Chili
Red Beans and Rice Recipe
How to Make Fudge: Homemade Holiday Recipe
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...