A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 295,114
Currently Running With Scissors:
697 Guests and 24 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Meaningful handmade gifts.......  (Read 1319 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

michaelasmom

Nobody is born a bigot..........

View Profile
« on: November 10, 2004 11:56:19 AM »

I got into a discussion with some of my coworkers at lunch about meaningful handmade gifts.  So out of curiosity, what is the most meaningful handmade item that you have ever gotten?

-- my younger sister is hyper, high-strung, and very energetic -- Sort of the ADHD poster child.  When I was pregnant with my daughter she asked her boyfriend's mother (who is now her mother-in-law) to teach her how to quilt so that she could make something for my daughter.  At my baby shower, she gave me a beautiful quilt that fits a twin sized bed -- she had pieced and quilted the entire thing by herself.  She refused to let anyone help her.  It is beautiful, and it is even more meaningful because I know how hard it is for her to sit still and focus on any one item.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Any idiot can handle a crisis.  It's the day to day living that wears you out."  -- Anton Checkov
kendaljay

Funny, she looks smaller from outside her head.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2004 12:07:23 PM »

about a year ago, i bought all these green printed fabrics cause i wanted to make myself a quilt (not that i'd ever sewn anything, but that's another story)  anyway, they just sat in my sister's fabric box, and this past may, for my birthday, she made it for me.  it was a total shock, cause I'd really forgotten about it!!  it was great. Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

When you say words a lot they don't mean anything. Or maybe they don't mean anything anyway, and we just think they do.---Delirium

www.makeitcute.etsy .com
kategirl
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

queen of awkward

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2004 12:09:16 PM »

hmmm...  that's a tough call.  I think I have two, both small things, neither all that elaborate or fancy, but I love them anyway.  one is a "jar of smiles" that my friend from church made me years ago, I think freshman yr of high school.  it's just a little short glass canning/jelly jar that's painted and decorated on the outside, and has little scraps of paper in it that each have something that she loved about me on it.

the other was a notebook that my boyfriend gave me last year as a random little cheer me up present.  he borrowed his friend's craft stuff and drew my name on the front and printed out some pictures of us and glued them inside, and then he wrote me a really nice "poem" and a really touching letter inside.  it really made me happy that he did that for me, especially since he's very not at all crafty.  hmmm...  maybe there's hope yet.   Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

yardenxanthe
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2004 12:30:17 PM »

Definitely a quilt.  My mom used to make them for us periodically as we grew up -- sometimes for milestones like graduating from high school.  I loved all my quilts.  I still think it's the best gift to give, too.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

booglass
Coin Operated Crafter

I made a hell of a lot of crafts to get here.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2004 12:33:59 PM »

My mother made a beautiful lap quilt for my hubby and I.  It is very traditional and all blue and white.  It is very my mother and not really our taste.  But I loved it the minute I saw it b/c whenever I look at it images of my mother come to mind.  She lives out of the country in her home country and before that primarily lived overseas......so there is plenty of distance.  It is nice to have something that is soooooo much of my mother close. 

I just got misty.........oh my! 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

DrewsUSAgirl
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2004 12:56:04 PM »

I had a miscarrage a few years ago & my cousin who was dirt poor at the time ( & staying with me) went to goodwill & yard sales & bought jeans... lots of them. She made me a small quilt, she made it all by hand, at night after I'd gone to bed. It's not fancy but she knows I love denim (I have a denim sofa in my living room, denim slip covers on my kitchen & dining chairs, & that I had wanted a denim throw for my office / craft room for my cozy chair.   It's a basic patchwork all squares but she whipped it up really quick & I use it almost everday, I curl up for a few mins to read most night before I go to bed & that is either my pillow or my blanket. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
miffy
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2004 03:46:34 PM »

I think I have three favorite...

Two were recieved from my boyfriend, Josh. For our first Christmas together, he asked what I would like and I said I wanted a teddy bear so I could sleep with it every night. He said he wanted to get me something else, so I told him that whatever he would get me would be fine. He ended up getting me a movie (the movie we went to see on our first date), a stuffed bunny (because he used to call me bunny), and a small teddy bear that I love so much. I wasn't expecting it at all. And inside the bag were some post-its, each with a really sweet paragraph/song that he wrote me. Also included was a note that he wrote me that made me cry because it made me feel so important.
The second gift was that same valentine's day. He stayed up every night for weeks making my gift. He painted a big, heart-shaped box pink. He dried roses and then took the petals and painted each of them with sealant to make them stiff and make them last. He lined the box with this pretty paper and filled the box with the rose petals (he saved 5-6 of the roses to give to me with the box). Also inside the box was a small teddy bear, a box of chocolates, and a poem he wrote me. It meant a lot because he spent so much time on it and he really isn't a "crafty" person.

The third gift was indirectly from my grandmother. When I was growing up, she was my best friend. About five years ago, we realized that she had Alzheimers. In January, she lost her battle with Alzheimers after a massive stroke. She stayed alive after her stroke for about three weeks, asleep. During her last few years of life, she fell in love with silver bracelets, so we would always buy her some. She ended up with a collection of about 5-10 bracelets. When she was "asleep" (she would wake up sometimes, but her eyes would remain closed and she couldn't really talk), my mom took her rings and bracelets off. My mother brought them all home and asked me to have them. I love the bracelets because they were my grandma's and they were her favorite pieces of jewelry (besides her wedding and engagement rings).
THIS ROCKS   Logged
leaguegirl
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2004 04:28:12 PM »

When my husband and I were first married we were so stinking poor that we couldn't afford greeting cards for birthdays, valentines,and so on, so we always made each other cards from stuff around the house like construction paper, aluminum foil, yarn.  It just dawned on me while reading this thread, that seven years later we still always make each other cards. It's not anything we have ever discussed, i guess we have just started a tradition without realizing it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
iqjones
Who's house? Run's house!

Trying to keep it gold...

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2004 04:49:53 PM »

Okay, going to cry from reading all of your posts...
My Nonna (grandmother) is the original crafty-lady, makes clothes, pasta, everything. She can knit you a sweater faster than you can say argyle...
 Although I am very single, she is worried cause she is getting older (she is 86) & slowly losing her sight, so she made me a trousseau. Lace covered pillows, duvet, all of this beautiful stuff for "when" I get married. Great, now I am crying.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

All the goo we use, reviewed!
http://brainybeautys.blogspot.com
TattooAnnie

Revolution begins with a book & an open mind!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2004 09:59:36 PM »

The first Christmas my boyfiend and I were together, he had his dad teach him to do stained glass, and spent many hours on a piece that looked like the green leaf brooch the Fellowship gets from Galadriel in LOTR (we're both members of the "Dork-core" & lovelovelove Tolkien!) We now both have the same image tattooed on our forearms...his gift to me for our 1st anniversary.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"GIR...why is there bacon in the soap?"
"I made it MYSELF!!!!"

www.TattooAnnie.ets y.com
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Get a Braided Up-Do
How to Curl Your Hair With a Straightener
How to Style Side-Swept Bangs
Black, Gray and Red Wigs at the Nicholas K Fashion Show
Bumble and Bumble Hair at London Fashion Week 2012
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Fairy Garden
CrafTATstic Crafty Tattoos: 30th Birthday Tattoo
April 17, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...