A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Craftster is for freely sharing how to make things! Don't post pics of things you sell in hopes of getting some sales or we'll have to bust out the LIMBO stick on you! Wink
Total Members: 304,884
Currently Running With Scissors:
556 Guests and 18 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Another cosmetics bag :) **TUTORIAL ADDED**  (Read 17435 times)
Tags for this thread: tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Donella
« on: May 06, 2007 08:36:43 AM »

I made this one for my little sister who just turned 9 Smiley I'm a little unsure about the colors, I'm not used to using very bright colors.. but other than that I'm happy with it Smiley
What do you think?

***TUTORIAL***

This is my first ever tutorial and English is my second language, so if anything is unclear, let me know Smiley

STEP 1 - DRAFTING THE PATTERN
You can make it in whatever dimension you want, but it's very important that the measurements of the flaps are all equal. Once your pattern is done, remove 0,5 cm at both topsides for the zipper (see drawing).

All my measurements are in centimeters!!!
EDIT/ Here's a cm-inch converter for everyone who's not used to working with cm.. http://www.manuelsweb.com/in_cm.htm

STEP 2 - MAKING THE BODY
You won't need the pattern just yet. First you're gonna make the body. This should be a square that's a little bigger than the pattern.

I've chosen to make mine in patchwork, but you could also just use one fabric or one at the top and one at the bottom. This is individual, be creative!! Here's some patchwork examples:

STEP 3 - QUILTING
Once you square is done, cut out some batting (not to thick) and a back-fabric (this will be the lining). And then you freehand quilt your square how ever you want it. For example: stipple, flowers, stars, checkers... use you imagination Smiley

Once you're done quilting it, pin the pattern on and cut it out. Add a seam allowance you feel comforable with. This is what you should have now:

STEP 4 - HIGHLIGHTING THE ZIPPER
On this bag, I highlighted the zipper with stripes of fabric. You can skip this step if you want, but this is how it's done:

Cut stripes of the fabric, pin it on the topsides and stitch it on about 0,5 cm from the sewing line (I had 1,5 cm seam allowance, so I stitched it 2,0 cm from the edge). Then fold it over towards the edge and overlock/zigzag.

I used an overlock on all my edges, but if you don't have one, you can either zigzag them go use a lining, like in the original tutorial.

STEP 5 - ATTACHING THE ZIPPER

Pin the zipper on before you sew. When the zipper is attached, stitch the edges down about 0,3-4 cm from the edge.

STEP 6 - SEWING THE ENDS TOGETHER

Stitch the top ends together. Overlock / zigzag the edges and lay the seam allowance downwards.

Now squeeze the sides together vertically and sew together and overlock / zigzag the edges.

All done SmileySmiley

« Last Edit: August 11, 2007 03:20:14 AM by Donella » THIS ROCKS   Logged

So much creativity..
So little time...

I have an Epla-shop for my paper bead earrings (it's like Etsy, but in Norwegian):
http://epla.no/shops/lindaspapirpynt/
whyme81687
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2007 08:42:25 AM »

I love it and i'm sure your sister will too. Don't worry about the colors that's my favorite part about it  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"The thing about glitter is, if you get it on you, be prepared to have it on you forever. 'Cause glitter doesn't go away. Glitter is the herpes of craft supplies."
MnkyMama
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2007 08:47:35 AM »

LOVE LOVE LOVE the colors!  It is awesome!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
black and white photo
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2007 08:59:27 AM »

kewl! Grin  could you post a tut?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Donella
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2007 09:03:32 AM »

kewl! Grin  could you post a tut?

Thank you Smiley
I made it based on this tut: http://smallhand.blogspot.com/2005_08_01_smallhand_archive.html (scroll down)
but I've made some changes myself, so I'll make my own tut for you guys Smiley just give me a couple of days Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

So much creativity..
So little time...

I have an Epla-shop for my paper bead earrings (it's like Etsy, but in Norwegian):
rr
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2007 10:16:55 AM »

Very cute I like the colors
THIS ROCKS   Logged
runnermom100863

Sew like there's no tomorrow.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2007 11:19:47 AM »

Aaahhhhh!  I love it so much!

I LOVE the color combo and the quilting, too, especially!!  The way you highlighted the zipper with the gusset of the green fabric is absolutely perfecto!  So amazing looking!   Cheesy

That is a great tut, and I'll look forward to your modified version!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I miss my doggy~Apollo~He'll forever be in my heart

my etsy shop ~ www.lillaka.etsy.com
Damaranti
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2007 11:47:48 AM »

My niece of 9 years was also looking at this bag and asked me pleeeezzz can you make me one as cute as this one.... so I think yours ROCKS !!  Grin Grin Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
moonmom
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2007 12:08:08 PM »

Ah,,,,that seems a little too nice for someone so young, maybe good for someone,say,,,,30ish, lol. This is a really great case and I'm super jealous.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Donella
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2007 12:27:32 PM »

Thank you so much SmileySmiley I have plans to make at least 9 more!! that's how many zippers I've bought so far.. I wanna make one in more luxurious fabrics like satin, taffeta and lace... what do you think? Good idea?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

So much creativity..
So little time...

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Turkey Day Leftovers
Perfect Burger Recipe with Bobby Flay
How to Make French Toast Christmas Trees
Pan Roasted Chicken Breast Recipe
Roasted Garlic and Golden Yukon Mashed Potatoes Recipe
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Easy Tile Coasters
Tute Tuesday: Scrabble Afghan
These Are a Few of My Favorite (Spooky!) Things

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...