A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Need help? Click the HELP link at the top of the screen to read the docs or ask at the Help Desk.
Total Members: 296,392
Currently Running With Scissors:
815 Guests and 39 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Sewing jersey/t-shirt material  (Read 3497 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

r3dh3d
« on: May 06, 2007 08:36:25 AM »

To start with, better say that I have a basic sewing machine which will do zig-zag, but no overlocker (or serger as I think it is known in the US?)  And I have worked out that if you want to stitch a seam in a jersey garment, the thing to do is stitch it in a narrow zig-zag, and then even if it comes out a bit stretched when you sew it, once it has been in the wash it sorts itself out.  So I've done a couple little pairs of trousers on that basis, and they came out fine.

But now I want to copy a little girls' dress which has edging on it, like bias binding or the neck on a t-shirt.

So, what I could do is cut out strips of material, press them up like bias binding, pin to the edging and zig-zag over the top.  Will that work out the same?  Is that the best way to do it, given the limited kit I have?

And, I'm sure that those of you who make a lot of garments in jersey use overlockers.... sorry, sergers!  Is that much faster?  Neater?  Easier?  if so, how and why - and should I buy one?  I've never used one but am happy to be converted though I'd probably have to put it on my Christmas list!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
i.am.flowerchild

Hello from Australia!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2007 02:12:30 AM »

Yes I only ever use an overlocker to sew up knit fabric - just thread it for a 4 thread and then it not only neatens up the edges but also puts in a seam for you. It's the only way to go.

Usually necklines in t-shirts are put in using a special machine and that isn't a normal sewing machine or an overlocker. I guess that the best you could do would be to either put in a bias binding - but you'd need to get a stretch knit one or cut long strips on the bias from the fabric you're using..... or buy some matching ribbed fabric and sew that in using the overlocker (you fold the ribbed fabric in half lengthways and that gets overlocked with the raw edges right around the neckline.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Davy Rothbart Talks About Requiem for a Paper Bag
Meet Photojournalist Kevin Rivoli
Sandra Brown Talks About Rainwater
Kate Feiffer Talks About Which Puppy
Chasing Brooklyn Book Trailer
Latest Blog Articles
DIY Summer
Craft Challenge 101 Announced - Stash Buster
July 8, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...