A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 309,602
Currently Running With Scissors:
558 Guests and 9 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: it's almost embarrassing to ask this ... but what are circulars and dpns ?  (Read 610 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

grapefruiit
« on: May 06, 2007 03:39:06 AM »

and what can i make without them, with the exception of scarves and ipod cozies? sorry for asking such a basic question, but i'm a COMPLETE amateur when it comes to knitting. sewing, jewelry making, embroidery - i can do - but knitting... my grandmother taught me the very basics when i was eight but i haven't picked up yarn+needles since. HOWEVER; now that winter is approaching (in australia) i really want to pick up on my very rusty knitting skills.

thankyou for your help =]
THIS ROCKS   Logged

neekie

gauge schmauge.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2007 03:53:32 AM »

dpns are double pointed needles and they come in a pack of 4 or 5. circular needles look like two straight needles but joined at the non-pointy ends with a cord. both of these are used for circular knitting - you join the beginning of your cast on row to the end, and you can knit in a tube.

you can still use straight needles for everything - sweaters, shawls, toys, cushions, whatever you can think of, but you knit several flat pieces and seam them up.

with circular knitting, because you are knitting a tube, you eliminate the need to seam things up most of the time (take a hat for example - knitting on straight needles, you will knit a flat piece that is smaller at one end than the other, then fold it in half and seam it up to have a hat. but if you knit on dpns or circular needles, you knit a tube then close it off at one end and you have a hat already hey presto)

check out www.knittinghelp.com for videos, those will probably help a lot Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Laural
I like exclamation points!!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2007 04:05:42 AM »

Here are some visuals:

Circular needle:

Double Pointed Needles (DPN's):

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Let's put the FUN back in dysfunctional!!

Wists: http://wists.com/PrincessLaural
grapefruiit
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2007 05:12:27 AM »

thanks guys =]
THIS ROCKS   Logged

soozeq
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2007 06:58:24 AM »

You can also use circular needles like you use straight needles - just don't join the yarn after casting on. They're especially good for large objects, which get too heavy for straight ones after a few inches.

sue
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sue
isisfae
New England Yarn Addict

i poke badgers with spoons!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2007 07:23:52 AM »

not to confuse you, but circular needles are also available in interchangeable sets where you can detach the needles from the cords and make a variety of different kinds of needles. they're a bit of an investment, but they're cheaper than buying a few needles at a time. Knit Picks has a great set and Denise is the classic. i have both and love both.

i use my interchangeable circulars for everything... especially straight knitting. it's easier on my hands and wrists b/c it keeps the fabric in my lap and the needles stay lightweight.

there's even a way to use circular needles like DPNs. it's used for small diameter projects.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. ~Mark Twain
redwitch
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2007 10:24:41 PM »

Well in a topographical sense circs are really doublepointed needles too.
Check out knittinghelp.com for videos of knitting on DPNs, circs, etc. in different ways.
Sarah
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make Your Blow Dry Hair Style Last
How to Get Rid of Flyaway and Static Hair
How to Choose This Right Hair Dryer
How to Choose the Right Conditioner
How to Choose the Right Blow Drying Brush
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Decorative Bulletin Board
Rain, rain, you don't have to go away...
Tute Tuesday: Latch Hooked Rag Rug

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...