A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Curious if a project is for sale, or if someone wants to do a private swap with you?  Please Personal Message the member rather than posting on the thread.
Total Members: 299,131
Currently Running With Scissors:
635 Guests and 16 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: savannah  (Read 16359 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

magnolia

Bob the Angry Sixtopus!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2004 11:29:14 PM »

YAY!! People from Savannah!  I'm not from Savvy (as I call it hehe), actually hail from the tropical island of Puerto Rico! But yes, I'm yet another SCAD student. Except I'm a fifth year film/photo Senior. I'm getting into the sewing shindig, especially handbags.

I have a question though. Where in Savannah could you get sewing lessons. I know I could take the INtro to Sewing (whatever it's called now) as an elective, but as of now, there are no spaces left.

Can anybody help??
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Craftgoddessss
Marble Magnet Mistress

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2004 10:27:36 PM »

Hi i'm from Savannah too!
there is not much craftyness here Sad
it makes me sad.

I want crafty Friends!

I'm 23. I live on the southside(for now)

my fiance is finishing his master's in photography at scad.

i tried knitting but i suck. a friend of mine taught me some basic crochet and i liked it.
i make marble magnets like they are going out of style (maybe they are...i dunno)

i sew poorly, but often lol

i make boxes from album covers

and lately i've been making christmas ornaments from beer coasters(it'sfun)

i make some beaded jewelry too

so yeah, if any ofthat sounds fun, or you do other crafty stuff that is cool and you want a crafty friend too them pm or something Smiley

...anyone know anything about craft fairs here...like how to get in
where/when are they?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

magnolia

Bob the Angry Sixtopus!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2004 09:17:16 PM »

You know, the other day I stumbled upon www.depart-ment.com, and I thought it would be neat to bring that concept into Savannah, organize a quarterly "craft-fair/store" her ein Downtown (which is where I live, and I only have a bike grr). But seeing as I've never even come close to organizing any activity in my life, an idea popped into my head.

I've been enrolled at SCAD for three years now and I have not seen an all-encompassing fair/sale featuring artwork/crafts from ALL majors combined. It's usually separated by department. (for example, the Jewelry dept has its annual Trunk Show). The college has a store, ShopSCAD, at Bull and Charlton, where students can sell their work, and although I haven't searched into this, I'm sure they do a meticulous job at selecting which artwork would look nice to tourists and prospective freshmen (you know how it goes). I must admit, the majority of the stuff is real nice, but they're all basically from graduate students or alumni. I would love to see the work from CURRENT students, the crafts they create, the photographs, the clothing, the jewelry. The college doesn't market this at all.

My idea is to organize a little event where all students who wish, can sell their stuff, whatever it may be. I have no idea how this will be carried out, as my mind is not well atuned to the laws and rules of event-coordinating. At first I thought, this could be held at one of the dorms... but, trust me, students don't buy other students artwork. Mostly cuz we broke! So it probably has to be held outside the dorms, open for the Savannah (and of course tourist) public.  I believe that's a good way to get the feel of the college and hey Savannah in general. Because, for better or for worse, Downtown Savannah is owned by Paula Wallace, president of SCAD. That's just the truth.

Anybody got any suggestions? Think this is abad idea, good, so-so??
THIS ROCKS   Logged

meg4568
« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2004 04:32:38 PM »

i work in city market, so i was thinkning of going to some of the art shops and asking them about helping us out carrying our work. Shopscad doubles the price of whatever you sell them, and i would hate to sell my stuff for rediculous prices. i was going to talk to  my boss too, because she owns a coffes shop in city market and i was thinking if we has little stuff to sell, they would fit in nicely. i have some small felted objects

http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=13911.0

and so on.

some pictures of your work would be greatly appreciated to give people ideas of how to help us.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

unsecretcrush
« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2004 12:06:54 AM »

if there is a stitch n bitch happening, i will totally be there.

i'm a sequential art major but i knit obsessively and since i live alone off-campus now i need more opportunities to get out and socialize. since i don't do parties, i want to knit in groups!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
magnolia

Bob the Angry Sixtopus!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: October 24, 2004 10:04:10 PM »

That's true about ShopSCAD. I would also hate to see my stuff sell for $60+. That's not the essence of us doing DIY stuff (I guess).

Meg- what store do you work at? Have you gotten around to ask the art shops? I mostly do handbags, although not currently 'cause I haven't a sewing machine here in Savannah, but will buy one once Winter Quarter rolls in. Here is a link of some of them: http://www.starmagnolia.com/bags.html

Unsecretcrush- do you have pics of the knitting you do?
We could manage to work out a Craft-Party Smiley.  PM me and let me know where you live.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2004 10:36:59 PM by magnolia » THIS ROCKS   Logged

meg4568
« Reply #16 on: October 25, 2004 12:25:08 PM »

ohhhhhhh pretty!
and i'm glad to see our little town has made it to two pages.

I work at the cigar shop in city market. i wouldhave made it around to the art galleries by now, but midterms......

im trying to find the time
THIS ROCKS   Logged

goldigold
« Reply #17 on: November 07, 2004 07:49:31 AM »

I live in Slovannah too--but I am not from here.  I noticed a knitting store on Victory Drive (called the Red Knitting Needle or something) its not far from Burger King and Johnny Harris.

At one point Starland was doing a Saturday crafts vending thing for about $20, but I do not know if its still going on.

I make jewelry (beaded and metal), cigar box purses, paper arts and some crochet.

I work at Afrika in Savannah on Broughton Street, I should have some stuff in there by December. 

Savannah has sooo many artists--yet nothing crafty is happening--clue me in if anything is going on.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2004 07:59:08 AM by goldigold » THIS ROCKS   Logged
magnolia

Bob the Angry Sixtopus!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: November 12, 2004 10:18:43 PM »

Oh wow, I ride by that store everytime, goldi.

Yes, next quarter we should definitely organize something. I would love to start at least with SCAD student artwork. My ex-roommate is a Head RA at one of the dorms, and she said I could pitch this idea to the Dorm Council People (that's not their name, but I forgot at the top of my head), maybe that could help things move along to the right people and get enough participation. It'd be nice to have a "craft show" during the Spring Quarter at Orleans Hall on Oglethorpe House. Which is where the school has a lot of those non-dorm affiliated activities.

When I get back on January I will start researching this and looking around , and maybe we'd have something by Spring Quarter. We gotta give the students time to create their stuff.

Any ideas???
THIS ROCKS   Logged

meg4568
« Reply #19 on: November 18, 2004 05:33:07 PM »

well i talked to the woman that owns wild fibre, and she's going to take a look at my felting after i finish it. but she's real frendly and loved the idea of student work so maybe she would help us out with something.
Also the people that own the red needle on victory have a daughter at scad, and im sure they would be intested in student work.
there are tons of oppertunties, and i think we should re group after break and think of something.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make a Spooky Halloween Yard Sign
How to Make a Pilgrim Costume
How to Do Vampire Lips With Makeup
How to Do Vampire Eyes With Makeup
Vampire Makeup Contouring
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Mini Book Jewelry
Handmade Gift Ideas: Bunny Travel Pillow
Tute Tuesday: Cross Stitched Sewing Box

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...