A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 295,087
Currently Running With Scissors:
477 Guests and 13 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Green swirly and Pixel tops (first post, lots of pictures) now with tute  (Read 32196 times)
Tags for this thread: tutorial , pixel  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Adidas82girl
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2007 09:59:14 PM »

those are fantastic...they would be perfect for the hot summer in Phoenix! 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
cloudyweather
« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2007 01:31:01 AM »

Thanks everyone!

I didn't use a pattern. I have tried to in the past but by the time I get them to fit right, I think it's actually easier to start from scratch. Same deal with the invisible zippers, I use them because I find them easier than the normal kind.

So this is what I did. I cut out two hourglass shapes, then cut one in half and put it back together with a zipper. For the green one I gathered about 5" by hand at the top and then sewed the zipper in VERY slowly right over all the gathers. For the front of other one, I gathered about 5" then sewed over the top a few times to hold it all in place. Then I sewed the two pieces together and hemmed it, and finally made straps and attached them.

I hope that makes sense. I could do a tute with pictures and all, I'll be making another top anyway because my sister wants me to make her one. I'll probably get around to it next week, so I can take pictures of how I did it then.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Donella
« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2007 03:28:55 AM »

I love the style!! and the fabrics are great Smiley I'm a big fan of invisible zippers too, much better than regular Smiley and not as difficult as many think...
Good job! Those would definitely be welcome in my wardrobe SmileySmiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

So much creativity..
So little time...

I have an Epla-shop for my paper bead earrings (it's like Etsy, but in Norwegian):
http://epla.no/shops/lindaspapirpynt/
lady4feet
« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2007 06:15:02 AM »

Wow! There's a zipper? I'm impressed.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

byonic_girl

Tohnia & Mike [1/27/2008]

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2007 10:52:18 PM »

They look amazing on you!  Wear them with pride.  Cheesy Even you stating that they had an invisible zip...I still couldn't find it!  Amazing job...just amazing!  Now if I only looked half as good as you do in those tops! Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

anxiety is the maiden hand of creativity - T.S. Eliot
_Suicidal_Angel_
people love me do you?

I am eternally a slytherin....

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: May 06, 2007 11:25:35 PM »

i love the green top so  much and it looks great on you!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
cloudyweather
« Reply #16 on: May 26, 2007 04:42:57 AM »

Okay I finally got around to a tutorial. I put the zipper in the side seam for this one, but I have tried to explain all three ways of putting the zipper in, I hope it is not too confusing.

First you need to measure around your bust (we'll call that A), your waist (B), and your hips (C). Divide these measurements by 4.
You'll also need to measure down from your neckline to your waist (D) and from your waist to your hips (E). Then fold the fabric into quarters and mark those measurements onto it.

Now, I can't really explain concisely how to put an invisible zipper in, usually there's instructions on the packet. Sew it slowly!

On this one I sewed some tiny brown buttons over the gathering. I didn't have any yellow thread and I had to use a yucky beige colour, which was fine inside the top, but on the stitching for the gathering it was really visible. Anyway I love buttons.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Miss*Laurence

Trainee Fairy Godmother

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: May 26, 2007 09:08:35 AM »

This is just awsome! I don't know if i'll ever look as good in it but I'm on my way to make one NOW! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"If God had wanted us to be naturists, we would have been born that way."

Want to know what I am making today?
http://editionslm.typepad.com/be_crafty_be_happy/
my website:
http://www.miss-laurence.co.uk
tricia
« Reply #18 on: May 26, 2007 09:20:56 AM »

These tops are both really cute!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

dissolvedgirl
« Reply #19 on: May 26, 2007 09:33:34 AM »

those are really beautiful, and so flattering on you. although it looks like you are a true hourglass, lucky you

i'm so glad i found this, i'm in the process of making a plain black (maybe strapless) fifties dress (having a craftster/cig break right now), but you've inspired me to put a gather in the centre bust. thank you for the tutorial.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Spinning Flax Fiber Into Linen
How to Set Up a Warp for Weaving
How to Prepare Wool Fiber for Spinning
Potato Stamps
How to Make a Laptop Skin
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Fairy Garden
CrafTATstic Crafty Tattoos: 30th Birthday Tattoo
April 17, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...