A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Joining an Organized Swap? Please review the rules and info on a regular basis.
Total Members: 303,217
Currently Running With Scissors:
698 Guests and 25 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 3 [All]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Soda/Beer Cans  (Read 8663 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
« on: November 09, 2004 08:18:34 PM »

Help! I need how-to's for 2 projects... a christmas tree star and a purse both made from beer cans. I can't remember what site I saw the tree topper on, it was last year just after xmas and I remember being sad that I found it too late. The purse someone was selling on ebay....it popped up when I was googling for  the tree topper.

Thanks! - Holly

you can't be what you were
you better start being just what you are

I have become comfortably numb...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2006 07:21:01 PM »

You'll like this if you're weird like me.. I just took pipe cleaners and put them through the pop tab, twisted them, and taped them to my ceiling! Looks pretty cool. I was lazy and just used the pipe cleaners, but it'd look cool if you used other things..

Oh yeah, the tape is really noticable in the picture, but it's not in real life =P
« Last Edit: May 21, 2010 12:09:20 PM by pixieval » THIS ROCKS   Logged

We're just two lost souls swimming in a fish bowl, year after year - Wish You Were Here, Pink Floyd

Give yourself over to absolute pleasure! Swim the warm waters of sins of the flesh! - Rocky Horror Picture Show
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2007 01:06:30 AM »

So I got back from Portugal with these two soda cans.  This one in Thai and another in Japanese

I have searched out and read hundreds of posts on soda cans (yes, I did my homework), but nearly every one I encountered involved cutting the soda can a lot.  I really wanted to do something with these in my apartment in some kind of decorative house thing.. like a lamp or something for the wall or ..? again, I dont have any idea.  I don't want to wear them and since my entire interest in them is the language, I don't want to destroy them beyond recognition, though in theory I don't mind cutting them some.

So this is my little challenge.  I am in no rush, and as I said, I only have two cans.  Any ideas?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2007 01:11:44 AM »

If you very carefully and neatly cut the top and bottom off, and get a bulb chord thingy, you could make hanging lamps with long thin bulbs - like those energy efficient ones.

Or cut the top, make tiny holes, and put in tea lights.

Hulk angry! Hulk STASH! /  http://procraftinator.wordpress.com
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2007 01:16:25 AM »

If you very carefully and neatly cut the top and bottom off, and get a bulb chord thingy, you could make hanging lamps with long thin bulbs - like those energy efficient ones.

Hm I like the tea light idea but where I live has really strict light/fire rules (student housing).. It may be worth keeping them at home to do that though, that definitely is the coolest idea I've heard so far for them.  Thanks Smiley
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2007 02:19:09 AM »

Regarding tea lites and fire restrictions - you can now get battery operated tea lites and other types of candles.  Scour the web for them - you can get them pretty cheap.

I will trade my ephemera scans for your ephemera scans - please PM me if you are interested!
Crazy Craft Lady

Life is good.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2007 02:24:11 AM »

My cousins used to build airplanes out of beer/soda cans.  The way ther were designed, the "body" of the plane was one pretty much whole can, and then pieces of other ones were added for the wings, propellor, etc.  So you could use your "special" cans for the plane bodies and cut the other parts out of normal American cans

Here's instructions:

http://www.lost.eu/1871f  This is an invitation!

Tetris, pretty colors, and (of course) lots of knitting!
Check out my new blog at:
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2007 10:11:45 AM »

Hm I like the tea light idea but where I live has really strict light/fire rules (student housing).. It may be worth keeping them at home to do that though, that definitely is the coolest idea I've heard so far for them.  Thanks Smiley

Maybe you could use a small string of white Christmas lights instead.

Girl Genius! Kaja&Phil Foglio

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2007 08:35:43 PM »

Put a small vase inside-make one from a plastic bottle cut down to size if you have to.Fill with real or fake flowers.Fill with sand or something to add weight and have a pair of bookends.Use as a utensil holder.Cut out the bottom,cut a small hole in the lid.Get some little trinkets and fishing line and make a windchime.

"If you're going to go for tech that doesn't exist,think Willy Wonka,not Hoover!" Firefairy@craftster
<a href="http://StudioLTD@etsy.com.>StudioLTD"</a>| Couponcode CRAFTSTER 10%
<a href=https://www.etsy.com/shop/HipsterHive?ref=shop_sugg>HipsterHive</a>|
Pretty Pistol
Pretty Pistol

Doe Raemie

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2007 10:32:18 AM »

you could cut off top and bottom, then cut a straight line where theres no pic or text you want to perserve, so that you now have a flat rectangle and nail or glue them to a messege board, or make coasters.

or just poke  a hole in the bottom and run lamp innards through them to have a lamp with a soda can base

Such a Pretty Pistol
lauren marie
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2008 06:29:51 PM »

you could cut off the very top, fold over the dangerous sharp part, and use that as a vase...
or you could cut out a hole in the bottom, (after washing it out thouroughly) and stick in some tissues, threading the first one through the top, to make an awesome tissue box. (i would probably add a weight to the bottom of the can, so it would be eaiser to grap just one tissue, not the whole can...)

you could fill them with rocks and use them as book ends hahahaha
if you could some how turn them into an actual drinking glass (cup, whatever) that would be sweet. you would probably need to line the insde with something to prevent nasty lip laserations.

orange is a great color in any situation.

One Life, LIVE it!

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2008 01:11:26 AM »

I reckon they'd make really funky wall lights if you cut the top and bottom off and then slit up the side where the print joins so it won't mess up the picture etc.  Then keep it bent round in a semi circle and fix over a wall light, so that the light comes out the top and bottom of it.  Probably best for your room at home I guess though!

Can't find a pic like I mean, but a little bit along this line - http://mydeco.com/product/ceramic-wall-light/0f6d1a0ca69d8ac9b3ecc9937d9977afa6d65172/
« Last Edit: February 08, 2008 01:12:16 AM by savvster » THIS ROCKS   Logged

One Life, LIVE it!

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2008 01:22:09 AM »

Aha or alternatively what about jewellry out of them..................unfortunately no tutorial as yet, here's the link - http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=209046.msg2239017
« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2008 09:45:02 AM »

i think this was already suggested,,but you could just cut away the"top"
like one would open a tin of soup,tuna,,etc
and make a pencil holder,etc
sorry,,my creative juice has left me for today,,lol
cute tins btw

"I want you to trust me"

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2008 01:52:53 AM »

A little late but I once made a table out of them but a drunk friend of mine went through it.

Get a bunch of soda cans and epoxy them together in the shape of table. Make sure to wash them out really good and let dry. You could alternately use a hot glue gun.  For the top, (since the top is the top of the soda can and that's dangerous) I measured the top and went to Lowes and found some really thin wood pieces (I forget what it's called) and glued it on. I hot glued the inside of the can (where you sip it) so that it gives it more space to put the glue when you glue on the thin wood pieces.

"We are what we love, not what loves us."
- Charlie Kaufman, Adaptation

Xander of Wolven-Knit~

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: April 15, 2008 11:11:32 AM »

Some time ago i seen a tutorial using some sort of soda or something and putting it on there and connection two plugs for the electricity from a electrical source(like a battery) and when it charges the aluminum, it creates a etch kinda like using the peroxide on glass to create the frosted look except it looks a bit purple i believe(i think i found this on popular science awhile back).
And you can, to add on to the candle thiny, make little gradient light wall display. This, i saw in a craft magazine i got from a friend who didn't want it, in the article, it had the soda(or beer can) cut in a certain way and it was put on a small wire so it can spin when the heat from the candle or something moves and spins it. when it spins, on one side, it had a open side and a closed side, after you get that ready you set it up behind some partally transparent paper either colored or normal(kinda like wax paper or parchment paper). you arrange it in a shape on the wall or something and when it spins, it creates a dimming and glowing affect. sorry for the long post, but i hope you find an idea.

The world is a circle...

MrMiagi '01 - aka rascal - We miss you MissDaisy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: April 15, 2008 11:22:27 AM »

Those are great ideas I think I like the "lamp shade" the best.
The only thing I can add is to carefully cut and flatten then frame. Could just be nailed to a piece of wood or matted in a frame.

MAKE: something of yourself
Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most.
"Everything is deeply intertwingled." - Ted Nelson, ca 1974
wists-fulness - http://wists.com/SacTownSue/

Rarely online these days. Will respond to PM when I notice them. AT&T SNAFU!
« Reply #17 on: October 05, 2009 02:14:05 AM »

I see people buy those aluminum water bottles for $15 or something crazy. I have a few of those monster cans that can re-seal. Any ideas on how to make them not look like monster cans?

Formerly known as rubidiumdawn, I changed my username.
The Crafteteria- Home Baked crafts!
Bike Swap! Let's make this happen!
« Reply #18 on: February 15, 2010 12:28:00 PM »

Hi, I am Chelsea and I was wondering if you craftsters could help me out. A few years ago I had a wonderful friend who was my partner in craft. She got me involved in art and was my source for creative inspiration. On the weekends we would find new creations to make. There was one that we never got to complete because she passed away somewhat suddenly. We were going to make these birds out of aluminum soda cans. There was a really detailed diagram that showed how to bend the metal and where to fold. I am not so much concerned with making this bird anymore, but I would really like to find this tutorial. I've asked her mother and searched through livejournal communities that she belonged to, but I haven't been able to find it. I want to use it for a project of my own. I know this is pretty improbable that anyone will have the exact tutorial over the vast world of the internet, but I figured it was worth a shot.
Description of Diagram: hand-drawn, mainly pictorial, might have a little bit of writing, I think it had a photo of the finished soda can bird in the corner. I think it was mainly line drawings with some dotted lines.

PS I hope that I am posting in the right heading, this forum has changed since I've last browsed.
Running on all 4 cylinders!

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 23, 2010 05:42:55 PM »

there's a site called aluminouspublishing.com with LOTS of online patterns, but for some reason their site is down today, so I can't post the link - it must be there

My ultimate gifts to receive: Thread and Glue Sticks!
« Reply #20 on: March 31, 2011 10:25:18 AM »

With soda cans, I made that:

More details here in the electrifying challenge:

I also made this plane, using bottle caps to make the wheels:

And also made wall decorations:

I have more pictures on my blog:

« Last Edit: September 17, 2012 10:09:50 AM by jungrrl - Reason: linked to specific blog entry » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Mahe Zehra
« Reply #21 on: June 20, 2012 02:51:14 AM »

I make jewellery, cards, home decor items, gifts and lots more with soda cans!

Gallery 3 by Altered Upcycling, on Flickr

Have an artsy day!
« Last Edit: September 17, 2012 10:16:26 AM by jungrrl - Reason: changed links to images » THIS ROCKS   Logged
« Reply #22 on: September 07, 2012 08:14:39 AM »

I used a ton of soda cans in different colors to make butterflies for my daughter's first birthday. I used double stick tape and put them all over the walls.  There was quite a flock.  Too bad all those pics got lost in The Great Computer Kablooey!
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 3 [All] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Tristan Eaton Recycles Garbage Into Art
Incredible Sculptures Made Out of Butter
Mattia Trotta Transform Metal Wires Into Art
Meet Burning Man Sculpture Artist Marco Cochrane
Makerbot-Made 3D Zoetrope and 3D Sculptures
Latest Blog Articles
Ghosts and Graveyards
Meatless Monday: Stuffed Acorn Squash
@Home This Weekend: Quilted Patchwork Basket

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...

Follow Craftster...