A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Need help? Click the HELP link at the top of the screen to read the docs or ask at the Help Desk.
Total Members: 300,949
Currently Running With Scissors:
657 Guests and 16 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 18
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Limbo board  (Read 14146 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Queen of the Savages
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2007 10:24:34 AM »

I think the LIMBO board is a great idea, and I believe it should be kept public.

I don't know whether this is right, but if it went private, wouldn't the mods have a lot more work?
When it is public, I feel that by browsing it I am learning what is right and wrong, since some of the stuff is pretty subtle. Without seeing it, then I would likely make similar mistakes.

I hope that made some sense, it's just how I feel.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
h_pets360
crankypants extrodinaire

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2007 10:32:06 AM »

I think the limbo board is a good idea.

I just saw *tons* of cat morley's posts on there - they were supposed to be changed to have all the diy info in the post rather than a hyperlink to her blog.  I'm a bit of a rookie on this, but doesn't it save bandwidth for craftster the way she's done it, and it would take up more room on craftster to have all the info on the boards?  I could understand if she wrote "click here for how to," and then her site said "pay five bucks and i'll give you the instructions."

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Miyoko79: I think "be proud, young craftster blood" should be your new siggie

I've got a new blog!  Tell me how to make it better!

Support the <a href="http://www.craftster.org/subscribe.php">craftster way of life!</a>
Mojo
« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2007 10:32:59 AM »

I like the Limbo board idea.  However, looking through that folder now it seems that 85% of the errant posts are from the same person.  I can see that being singled out like that might be a bit humbling/embarassing for the more sensitive among us.  Wouldn't it be easier, and more efficient, to pull that person's posts completely and contact her directly to educate her about Craftster etiquette?  
THIS ROCKS   Logged

superstitch
Clothing Moderator
Quilting Moderator

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

she's just a cosmic girl

from another galaxy

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2007 10:35:50 AM »

well the reason you may see a ton of one persons posts at a time is because when you notice that someone is breaking the rules, it usually isn't their first time to do so, so we go through all of their posts and pull the offending ones, so it can look like we're attacking one person when really we're just trying to be efficient
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Mustaches are sooo 2 years ago

my blog
wists
jungrrl
Global Moderator
Crafty Business Advice Moderator
Toys, Dolls, and Playthings Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

I'm a portmanteau.

Former Full-time Craftster-er

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2007 11:12:53 AM »

Browsing the limbo board amuses me.

I must say I am slightly offended by this comment Sad  I am really offput by this whole situation considering one of my posts (of something I very much love and am totally proud of) is right now sitting in that folder.  I took out the link to my blog, but still it sits,

That's because a mod hadn't had a chance to get back to that board and move it.  We aren't paid staff or anything.  We mod when we have time.

and I am wondering why I have been singled out while many MANY other posts that have the same problems are not in that folder?

You aren't being singled out.  There are other topics by other people sitting in that folder as well.  And other posts are not in there because a mod hasn't come across them yet, not because we're playing favorites.  Craftster is GIGANTIC.  We try but really now, it's huge.   

I am actually really upset by this situation, and I don't think this folder is there for other people to look through it to be amused.  That's all.

This I do agree with.  It's kind in poor taste to say you go perusing those posts for fun.  I know no harm was meant but maybe not so public with that kind of stuff next time, eh?  Kiss
THIS ROCKS   Logged

batgirl
Global Moderator
Occasions and Holidays Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Part Librarian, Part Superhero

Stop Pinning, Start Making.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #15 on: May 21, 2007 11:36:41 AM »

The Limbo board wasn't meant to be a sort of punishment (or we'd call it Purgatory, LOL). It's just a way to organize, and to enlist member's help in editing their own posts (so we don't have to change your words, and because with 80,000 or however many members we have now, it's a lot of work modding). We really appreciate help from members by reporting posts using the report to mod button, and by graciously editing their own posts. The new rules can be pretty confusing, so when we ask for posts to be edited we aren't pointing fingers, just asking for your help in keeping Craftster running smoothly. The most common complaint Leah gets is ads in posts, and we have really struggled and had many discussions about how best to handle this. The main thing we need is help and understanding from all the members to avoid advertising themselves, and point it out to us when it does happen. We are mods because we love Craftster and want to help, but we all have full lives and do have to rely on everyone to look out for the whole community. I'm sorry to hear that some of you feel hurt by Limbo, it's a new idea we are still refining, but that we hope will be a useful tool for keeping Craftster free, efficient, and friendly as it grows and grows...and...grows...
« Last Edit: May 21, 2007 12:52:14 PM by batgirl » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Just added lots of new items! Use coupon code "craftster" for 10% off! http://www.LilyLovesBernie.etsy.com
 50 Things
WIPs

The WIPs Phenomenon

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 21, 2007 12:50:21 PM »

I think the Limbo Board is actually a pretty cool idea. I must admit that I have made mistakes in the past, such as quoting pictures in my posts, so I am glad that there is the Limbo Board. Thank you, Leah and mods! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

100 Themes ATC: 1/100 Grin
sweets4ever
Administrator
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 21, 2007 12:52:29 PM »

Very well spoken, Batgirl and thanks, WIPs! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
BellaKarma

What Goes Around-Comes Around-So Make it Beautiful

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 21, 2007 01:21:09 PM »

How far back are you moderating posts? I've been on here since almost the beginning, and I admit I've seen an influx of sly advertisements (as I'm guilty of) and straight out pimping.

What about if someone asks me "where did you get so and so?" And so and so just happens to be an etsy shop or eBay store that is NOT MY OWN, but happens to be a fellow Craftster member?

I do LOVE the fact that you are discouraging "TUT PLEASE!!!!" demands! I know you've tried this before. I think they tend to be rude and often unnecessary (I collaged a box..what's so hard to figure out?).

How about boards where you are encouraged to link your blog (crochet blogs; knitting blogs, etc)? My personal blog has links all over the place for my boutique. I talk about being a business owner...and post previous art work I sold.

I'm not trying to knit-pick the rules, I'm just trying to figure 'em out...
Cheesy

I just realized that my avator is one of my business logos...is that against the rules too?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Stix on the Beach: Tales From The Happiest Hooker!
www.bellakarma.com
jungrrl
Global Moderator
Crafty Business Advice Moderator
Toys, Dolls, and Playthings Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

I'm a portmanteau.

Former Full-time Craftster-er

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: May 21, 2007 01:25:41 PM »

How far back are you moderating posts? I've been on here since almost the beginning, and I admit I've seen an influx of sly advertisements (as I'm guilty of) and straight out pimping.

All the way back.

What about if someone asks me "where did you get so and so?" And so and so just happens to be an etsy shop or eBay store that is NOT MY OWN, but happens to be a fellow Craftster member?

It's ok to let everyone know about other stores, even if they belong to other craftsters.  You just can't pimp out your own. Wink

How about boards where you are encouraged to link your blog (crochet blogs; knitting blogs, etc)? My personal blog has links all over the place for my boutique. I talk about being a business owner...and post previous art work I sold.

Obviously the threads and boards set aside strictly for listing your own blogs, sites, etc are ok.  Just make sure you read the rules for that area/thread.

I'm not trying to knit-pick the rules, I'm just trying to figure 'em out...
Cheesy

No worries!

I just realized that my avator is one of my business logos...is that against the rules too?

To my understanding, no it's not against the rules.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 18 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Crash And Burn by Artie Lange
Ernest Cline on Giving Away a DeLorean with a Flux Capacitor
Victoria Wilson: What Are You Reading?
Bryce Andrews: What Are You Reading?
Artie Lange’s Tips for Luxury Travel
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Chalkboard Wine Glasses
Handmade Gift Ideas: Wooden Chain
Handmade Gift Ideas: Upcycled Car Trash Bag

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...