A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Curious if a project is for sale, or if someone wants to do a private swap with you?  Please Personal Message the member rather than posting on the thread.
Total Members: 302,611
Currently Running With Scissors:
633 Guests and 19 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Making your posts accessible  (Read 878 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

sophieangele
Two-headed girl

lacing fingers through the notches of your spine

View Profile available for personal swaps
« on: December 30, 2006 07:28:15 AM »

Hello

Sorry to do this, and sorry if I'm annoying people, but I just wanted to make a wee request, which you can ignore if you feel like it.

I know people often like to use 'funky' text in their post - different colours, fancy fonts, mixed lower case and upper case letters, text with flames on it, and that sort of thing.

I'm sure it looks really pretty and lets you express your individuality, but it also makes life a bit difficult if, like me, you have difficulty in reading for a variety of reasons - visual impairment, dyslexia, visual disturbance when reading (e.g. floating text, or text disappearing into the background unless there is enough contrast or certain colours used) or other problems.

Craftster is difficult to read anyway because it doesn't seem to agree with my accessibility software, but when people start to use coloured text or whatever it makes it nigh on illegible.

Using capitals - LIKE THIS - is also difficult to read, especially on the titles page of a board. It doesn't really make your post any more noticable; it just looks like you are shouting to most people, and for people with reading difficulties it can be difficult to read.

I know there isn't much can be done to make it easier to read, as everone has different requirements, but if people wouldn't mind cutting back on the 'funky' text and using plain old ariel in black, I would really appreciate your kindness.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

jMi
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2007 06:53:18 AM »

sophieangele, I'm sorry you sometimes have trouble reading the colorful posts. We don't restrict the members from using the options provided, but we do try to edit the problematic ones as we see them. - For example, a post written in all yellow would be edited, topics written in all CAPS are edited, posts that are accidentally written in one color and then somehow highlighted in that same color are edited. But otherwise, we do enjoy giving the members their freedom to express themselves colorfully and in different fonts Smiley
Maybe there is an option somewhere for you to turn off viewing different texts?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://lifeadored.blogspot.com/
Getting back into crafting! Follow along with me on my blog and see what I come up with! Smiley
sophieangele
Two-headed girl

lacing fingers through the notches of your spine

« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2007 02:45:00 PM »

thanks

I do have accessibility software, but it can't seem to cope with craftster - it's not good wiht forums. And I can't seem to change my options to plain text. There might be a way to do it but it would involve losing pictures

It wasn't a request for it to be banned or anything; just thought I'd put it out there for people to think about, and maybe people would choose to cut back on the particularly difficult text by themselves, if they want to.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Loli-chan
Simply Brilliant

Antisocially Awesome

« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2007 09:11:56 AM »

Hey,
      you know what would be good? If craftster its self had an option where you could choose to turn off all the colours and fonts, and maybe even "emotions" too, so that it was just normal.

This is a great thought!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Dead... It's what you are when you've died.
BeccaJaneStClair
Follow the Butterflies....

I'd rather swing on the moon than a star.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2007 10:18:05 AM »

I'm pretty sure there's an option in your web browser to turn off colours.  Or at least, way back in the day of the birth of the internet for home users (1993ish?), I had a Mac LC. Piece of crap by today's standards, but it did it's job at the time.  The web browser I was required to use stripped all colour and images out of webpages, leaving me with text only web pages. Of course, this also was in the early/mid 90s, where there wasn't a whole lot of colourful, image-laden web pages hanging around, so I have no idea if the browser still exists or if you can somehow enable your browser to strip colour.

I've ranted at least once in the Craftster Rant thread about some of the lighter colours being used for text, because I find them hard to read too.  But, I find having colour to use to highlight things and indicate statuses for swaps is a big help. 

Sorry you're having such problems with it though! 

What if you set your monitor to only display black and white or 16 colours? or would that just screw everything else up for you?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

(formerly AnnaOnTheMoon)

http://blog.beccajanestclair.com ~ http://annaonthemoon.livejournal.com ~  http://www.wists.com/annaonthemoon  ~ http://pinterest.com/annaonthemoon
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
3 Summer Hairstyles To Beat The Heat
Quick Tips to Fight Frizzy Hair
Hair How To: The Gatsby Girl Look
How to Style Balayage Highlights
Messy Updos Are in This Summer
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...