A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News 05/06/14: Craftster has gone mobile!  Read the big news here!
Total Members: 296,652
Currently Running With Scissors:
656 Guests and 17 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Old tee to cute lil' dress (somewhat Image Heavy)  (Read 13707 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

ennayrollam
« Reply #40 on: June 16, 2007 01:33:15 PM »

i love this so much.
i've just recently been making tshirt recons and have been playin it pretty simple...

you got the gears a turnin Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged
doityourselflearner
« Reply #41 on: June 16, 2007 10:11:45 PM »

cheytown, I just looked at the dress pictures again and have a question.  I've been wondering about this for awhile and I hope you can educate me.  How did you hem the bottom of the dress?  I see there are two horizontal lines.  Did you use double needle in the sewing machine?  I'm reading "Teach yourself visually sewing" book right now and it showed double needle which I've never seen before (but the book didn't give enough info on how to use it).  I'm wondering how it is threaded when using the double needle?  Is this for regular sewing machine or special type (like serger)?  Thanks for the inspiration..
THIS ROCKS   Logged
cheytown
« Reply #42 on: June 18, 2007 02:37:27 PM »

this was my first foray into sewing stretchy fabric, and i had a lot of trouble... i actually wouldn't recommend doing what i did because i have problems with the hem flipping/rolling up. what you see on the hem is 2 separate lines of what my sewing machine manual calls "stretch stitch." (i serged the edge first on my old overlock machine and then turned it under and sewed those two lines.)

my sewing machine is capable of doing something called "twin-needle," but i haven't used that feature yet. i do know not all stitches on my machine can be done with it and that definitely the stretch stitch can't. otherwise, i think i was going to try it on this dress.

as for what twin needle is... there is a special twin needle that came with my sewing machine. it is like two needles that are attached to one post at the top. there is also another spool pin on top of the machine where i can put another spool of thread that gets threaded alongside the thread from the 1st spool. basically, twin needle lets me sew with 2 top threads.

cheytown, I just looked at the dress pictures again and have a question.  I've been wondering about this for awhile and I hope you can educate me.  How did you hem the bottom of the dress?  I see there are two horizontal lines.  Did you use double needle in the sewing machine?  I'm reading "Teach yourself visually sewing" book right now and it showed double needle which I've never seen before (but the book didn't give enough info on how to use it).  I'm wondering how it is threaded when using the double needle?  Is this for regular sewing machine or special type (like serger)?  Thanks for the inspiration..
THIS ROCKS   Logged
livvyloo
« Reply #43 on: June 21, 2007 10:52:15 PM »

Just did my first recon tonight. I may have to give this a try now. I am inspired!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

SpottedFrog
« Reply #44 on: June 22, 2007 04:15:36 PM »

Wow! I'm floored! I've turned shirts into quilt squares & dress shirts into teddy bears, but that is amazing!!

Yes, the kids get easier. About age 2 they will play solo for 20-40 minutes at a time, that gets longer as they get older. The other thing that helps is setting yourself up in such a way that you can see them from your sewing machine but ideally where they can't reach it. When my oldest was about 2 I sectioned off the 'breakfast nook' as my sewing area with one of those huge doggy dividers/ gate / thingy. Now in our new house I have my space set up so I can see into the kitchen- where they park at the table while I work. My oldest is 5 & my little one will be 3 in 1 week- man time flies!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
impibaby
« Reply #45 on: July 06, 2007 10:36:04 PM »

That dress (and kid) is perfect!  I love how you cut it up, very clever.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

All you do is talk, talk, talk
Kimberlina
« Reply #46 on: July 07, 2007 04:03:55 PM »

Very cute!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
cest_la_vie
Μελισσα

Je t'aime

View Profile WWW
« Reply #47 on: August 02, 2007 03:32:17 PM »

That is incredibly adorable!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

You cannot see faith, but you can see the footprints of the faithful. We must leave behind "faithful footprints" for others to follow.

-Dr. Dennis Anderson
Fiksteufel
« Reply #48 on: August 03, 2007 05:52:49 AM »

I love how you chopped the original up!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
littlemee
« Reply #49 on: August 08, 2007 04:50:48 PM »

Is this all from one T-shirt? I love it, I've got to make one, I haven't reconstructed yet.  I wish i'd been sewing way back when, as I always give anything not worn to charity shops, so I don't have anything to reconstruct......Ho wever I have your shirt tutorial on my list of many things to do. Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Crochet projects
http://www.youtube.com/user/Litt1eLisaMarie?ob=0&feature=results_main

The only place where housework comes before needlework is in the dictionary.  ~Mary Kurtz
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Motherhood Comes Naturally and Other Vicious Lies
Myths About Children and Their Parents Debunked
Susanna Kearsley on The Royal York
Loudmouth by Craig Carton
The Roberts Court by Marcia Coyle
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Teacup Bird Feeder
Winner of Craft Challenge #100-Pottermouth
July 23, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...