A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, remember that you can always click the Modify button to edit the post and add additional information.
Total Members: 296,750
Currently Running With Scissors:
608 Guests and 16 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: My First beaded necklace  (Read 932 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

ilikepinkeverything

This is Me!!! Hi there

View Profile
« on: May 04, 2007 11:36:13 AM »

I am very excited about this necklace. It is the first beading anything i have done. It took a few trys to get it right the first time i cut the tread to short hehehe well anyways here it is. Hope you like I know I do!

« Last Edit: May 04, 2007 01:01:25 PM by ilikepinkeverything » THIS ROCKS   Logged
SecretAgentStarchild
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2007 04:41:02 PM »

I can't believe that this is your first necklace!!! I could never make something as cool as this. I love the colors and the way that the strands twirl together, and the pendant tops it off completely! Fabulous job! I want one! ^_^
THIS ROCKS   Logged

And above all, watch with glittering eyes the whole world around you because the greatest secrets are always hidden in the most unlikely places. Those who don't believe in magic will never find it. - Roald Dahl
talyra
likes shiny things

Aboard yer ship, gnawin' yer timbers

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2007 07:13:58 AM »

Is that fastened the way I think it is? Do you drop the pendant through the looped ends of the seed bead strands? Cos if that's what you have done I am really impressed. I think it's ingenious, specially for your first try.

It STILL takes me a few tries to get things right sometimes. My last project was a "simple" 3-strand necklace and the lovely vintage clasp broke just after I had finished, so I had to re-do the whole thing with a new clasp.

This is a lovely piece, I hope you are inspired to continue!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ilikepinkeverything

This is Me!!! Hi there

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2007 08:26:38 AM »

Yes you do drop the pendent through the loops. Like i said i am new to beading and i havent bought any findings yet (honestly i am not really sure what kind to buy), so i decided to finish it with the loops.It took two tries to make this neclace the first time a cut the treads to short(of coarse i didnt relize this until after a had beaded a few of the seed bead strands hopefuly that will be a lesson i will not repeat. Smiley Thanks for your replay, Since i am very new to the beading world do you have any advice or pointers you could give me?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
talyra
likes shiny things

Aboard yer ship, gnawin' yer timbers

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2007 05:55:45 AM »

You look like you are doing pretty well to me! I always cut slightly more thread/tiger tail/whatever than I need, I know it's a bit wasteful but I often waste less than if I was to try to get the amount of thread exactly right first time  Embarrassed

As for findings, I personally prefer lobster or bolt ring (also known as spring ring) clasps - these are spring loaded clasps with levers, like you often see on store bought necklaces. I find that becaus they close up completely they are more secure than hook clasps (what they sound like) or toggle clasps (the ones with a T-shaped bar and a large hoop); some people prefer toggles, though, as they come in all sorts of pretty designs, and wire workers often make their own hook clasps. It's all down to your preferences: take a look at the stuff you wear and decide from that what you'd rather use.

As for attatching findings, it depends what you are using. If you have ordinary nylon or cotton beading thread, knots are fine, though a bit of "French wire" - also called boullion or gimp - will help stop the finding wearing through the thread. http://beadwork.about.com/cs/beadshowtos/ht/frenchwire.htm is a nice explanation of how to use French wire. What it doesn't say is that if you are using thread it's a good idea to add a drop of glue to the knot (some sort of clear-drying fabric glue should do, I use Fray Check) to help stop it coming apart. I have to admit I don't always bother with French wire when I use tiger tail (which is nylon coated stainless steel wire) but that's unprofessional and you probably shouldn't listen to me on that point Cheesy

The Beadalon website  http://www.beadalon.com/ has loads of useful advice for beaders, but bear in mind that it is basically there in order to advertise their products!  Wink The techniques are described very well and very clearly, though.

Well, I'm going to stop there because I have written you an essay. I hope some of this stuff proves useful, if not you can PM me or use the Discussions and Questions board here: a second, third and eighteenth opinion is always useful after all Cheesy

Have fun!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ilikepinkeverything

This is Me!!! Hi there

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2007 07:36:55 AM »

wow..thats for all the advice and the website links!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Edit Audio in Adobe Soundbooth Lesson 2
How to Edit Audio in Adobe Soundbooth Lesson 1
Introduction to Adobe Dreamweaver - Overview
How to Get Around in Adobe Acrobat Lesson 4
How to Get Around in Adobe Acrobat Lesson 3
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Quick and Easy Organizer
Tute Tuesday: Art Pen Case
Sock It To Me!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...