A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 296,712
Currently Running With Scissors:
753 Guests and 22 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2]  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: What can I knit with 100% acrylic yarn?  (Read 1244 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

neggie
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2007 06:04:45 PM »

I second the hats/for charity suggestion. You can make a buttload of hats for those pesky friends who always ask you to knit them stuff... or knit a bunch of stuff to donate? I don't personally knit with acrylic very often, but the plus side is that it's very washable-- which comes in handy for kids/non-knitting friends/giving away.

I think before you make a cardigan or a sweater, you should ask yourself if you would really wear it (especially if you are on the fence about the yarn). I also have no clue if you have enough for a sweater. Yardage and needle size are probably more of a determinant than weight...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

knittinfiasco
A child of God

YHWH is my Daddy!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2007 06:13:22 PM »

The blue sweater on this pagehttp://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=105238.670 was done in 100% acrylic--Red Heart.  The pattern is called Simple Knitted Bodice and is available at www.stitchdiva.com.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

yarnhag
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2007 06:20:41 PM »

I find acrylics often soften up when washed and dried (do both in the machines without fear).  If it feels scratchy on the skein, knit up a swatch and wash and dry it -- you might be pleasantly surprised!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

lookagnome
« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2007 07:23:17 PM »

i always knit hats and scarves with acrylic because, as others have said, it's so easy to clean. i dont buy wool at all because i think its itchy, so most of my stash is either cotton or acrylic. its good for little accessories too like bags (if it stretches just wash it and it regains its shape)

if you need more ideas go to your local bookstore and check out "no sheep for you"... i didnt find many of the patterns particularly inspiring but they might give you some ideas. theres also a lot of info about different kinds of non-wool yarns that you probably dont know about (or at least i didnt!)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

raycheezy

Patches are my happiness and my hippyness.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2007 07:26:58 PM »

stuffed animals! I mainly crochet, but that is what I always make with it. Once it goes through the wash it gets a lot softer. With acrylic yarn you don't have to worry about needing to wash a dirty stuffed animal. Plus, they come in so many colors. It just works out.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I LOVE personal swaps! If you see something I made that you like, and have anything fun or interesting or silly, tell me.
vickilicious
« Reply #15 on: May 04, 2007 09:04:25 PM »

I'm probably a rarity in the knitting world for this, but yes, I do prefer acrylic and synthetics.

I have really really sensitive skin, and no matter how many layers I put between myself and wool or alpaca, my skin still freaks out and I get watery eyes and sneeze all day.

That said, I find that washing and drying acrylic (only with cool water and at low temps) really dramatically softens it and makes it a pleasure to wear. It is a major bonus for me that it can be machine washed and come out even nicer. I would be leery to hand-knit something elaborate for a lot of my family members and trust that they will remember to hand-wash it - it's nice knowing it won't get destroyed if they toss it in the laundry and use it like usual.

It's really good for baby and kid knits, as well as all the accessories mentioned already. I think it works great for bags, wallets, and personal accessories, all of which make great gifts (iPod cozies, laptop sleeves, glasses holders etc).

I also find it good for household things like coasters, cushion covers, tissue-box or lampshade cozies, etc etc. It dries quickly when wet, and I find it resists dirt and grime from laying on pillows and tossing them on the floor and such. Plus, once again, if it gets dirty, it's no big deal because you can simply toss it in the wash.

I don't have it, but Amy Singer (editor of Knitty) recently put out a book called No Sheep for You, which is all about knitting with non-wool yarns. I imagine she'd have something insightful to say about acrylic that you may find helpful.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

isisfae
New England Yarn Addict

i poke badgers with spoons!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #16 on: May 04, 2007 09:55:49 PM »

acrylic is also great for slipper socks that you know are going to get a lot of wear b/c the stuff really stands up to the washer and dryer and years and years of wear.

it's also great for blankets b/c of the washability and durability. before i left for college, i crocheted an afghan for myself using acrylic yarn. it was beautiful. everyone on my floor thought it was an heirloom and they were shocked when i told them i had spent the previous summer making it myself. the thing survived 4 years of college abuse and it's still in like new quality and i still use it.

i also like acrylic for items like capelets and cardigans. i live in a climate where both items are essential and to have them made out of something that's not only soft and comfy (like Simply Soft or Red Heart Soft Yarn) but will survive the washer and dryer is the best. i want them to last and last and last as well as keep me warm.

also, i'm a dancer. a lot of my dance warmups that i've bought at dance supply shops over the years are made out of acrylic. things like cropped wrap sweaters, leg warmers, arm warmers, shrugs... all of those are made from acrylic b/c it's durable, it will keep you warm while allowing for ventilation so you won't sweat, and it'll survive a trip through the washer and dryer... i've even made acrylic arm warmers that i wear to dance class in the winter b/c the studio is freezing. they keep me cozy until i've warmed up enough to remove them and if they get all sweaty... i can just toss them in the laundry.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. ~Mark Twain
kittin1982
« Reply #17 on: May 05, 2007 09:21:50 PM »

acrylic is great for someone like me who is on a budget and can't afford all the amazing yarns that are on the market.....i do both crochet and knit...and i have used acrylics for all things....sweaters, toys, hats, scarves, etc.  my mom especially loves the sweater that i crochet out of simply soft.....
THIS ROCKS   Logged
shewolf
I call her Vera.

The hero of Canton

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: May 05, 2007 11:42:08 PM »

There's something other than acryllic?  Huh Grin Wink

I've made everything out of acryllic. One time I bought some cotton. Baby blankets and other high wear high mess stuff (anything that gets near kids gets dirty!) is perfect for acryllic. Make a bedspread. Make a sweater that won't be on your skin directly. Stuffed animals. Pillow covers. Practice that new stitch or design.

I've seen sock patterns that I wasn't sure about that I start with ww acryllic. Makes a huge sock, yes. But I can try it and then add eyes and fabric paint face for sock puppets for the kids Smiley.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

(\__/) This is Fat Bunny.
( o.o ) It has taken over, and eaten the unbelievers.
( > < ) Copy Bunny into your signature or be EATEN!

www.rattleheadgames .com - for all your gaming needs!

http://www.wists.com/shewolf I wish, I wish, with all my heart.... Smiley
decline2state
« Reply #19 on: May 06, 2007 07:58:15 AM »

or for a little whimsy, you can give knitty's hallowig a try.  I bought bright pink a couple years ago to try it but I haven't done it.  I still think it is cool.

http://knitty.com/ISSUEfall04/PATThallowig.html
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2]  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Photograph Architectural Patterns
How to Create Extraordinary Colors
How to Take a Pet Photograph
How to Go Past your Photographic Limits
How to Choose Images from a Shoot
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Art Pen Case
Sock It To Me!
Meatless Monday: Kale and Edamame Salad

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...