A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you know about all of these Craftster features?
Total Members: 299,132
Currently Running With Scissors:
685 Guests and 13 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Fabric in Canberra?  (Read 932 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

ludicrouslouisa
« on: May 03, 2007 11:17:14 PM »

Oh dear guys...I'm having trouble. I live in O'Connor and I'm 15 so I can't drive....so the closest store is Lincraft. And what a LAME range! It's all bizarre dress fabrics and drag queen organza! There's barely any simple cotton or t shirt knit fabric...and no wool felt Sad
I can't go to Spotlight without bribing someone to drive me. Sheets are far too expensive. Is there anywhere you can buy a good range of fabrics for a fair price that I can actually GET to?
And are there ANY thrift stores in canberra where you can get fabric - any places that sell fabric?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
bohemianphilosophy
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2007 10:13:42 PM »

There's "Hobby Sew" as Westfield Belconnen Mall.

If you can get any further, there's another shop at Tuggeranong's Hyperdome (next to bus interchange)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
fromvenuswithlove
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2007 05:14:38 PM »

Spotlight isnt that hard to get too, i live in turner and i dont have access to a car- just get the bus to queanbeyan (leaves from civic interchange) and walk for 15mins and as a bonus you have to pass a couple of op shops - the salvos has heaps of patterns, theres another next to the newspaper office that usually has a table of fabrics (last time i saw raiders flannelette - lol!) ...... tho i could see some problems if you went nuts and purchased heaps! Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
_heartbreaker_
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2007 06:08:11 PM »

You could take a bus to Jamison, and go to Y's Buys, which is a YMCA op shop. If you go to the Jamison shops you'll see a big Salvation Army store, and it is located behind that. I lived in Canberra for 4 years and got most of my most amazing fabrics from there.
Also, every 6 weeks there is a YMCA garage sale, and there's a section where you can get a whole bag of clothes for $3, and usually they have fabrics in there too!!

Good luck!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

xoxo Kit

Check out my stylin' designs!
http://weheartheartbreaker.etsy.com
fromvenuswithlove
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2007 05:37:58 PM »

I second the Jaminson tip!  also the Y buys at Kingston has suits and some formal dresses which would be fun to cut and use
THIS ROCKS   Logged
qazicat
Qazicat

Just not enough hours in the day to do craft

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2007 05:43:01 PM »

wool felt is available at Hobbysew in Belconnen,  but it has been a while since I have been there.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Qazicat Designhttp://www.netspeed.com.au/qazicat/

My Wists - http://www.wists.com/qazicat

I am willing to do personal swaps for ATCs
_heartbreaker_
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2007 05:47:38 PM »

Yes, the Y's Buys in Kingston is great for that kind of stuff. Also, they have all those different boxes of tea towels, tablecloths, and other interesting tid bits to search through. There's lots of great lace doilies and things there which could be good for embellishing or applique.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

xoxo Kit

Check out my stylin' designs!
http://weheartheartbreaker.etsy.com
SewcialDistortion
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2007 04:20:08 PM »

Hi there

Addicted to Fabric seems to have the best range and quality for dressmaking fabric. They also have a beautiful range of patchwork fabric which you could use for dresses or tops.  As someone else said in another thread you could walk over from the woden bus interchange. 

I also try to check out the op shops - there's usually a box of fabric scraps around.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make the Advanced Model of Paper Airplane
How to Make a Shirt Out of Paper
How to Make a Stitch
How to Make the Ribstitch
How to Lose a Stitch Properly
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Mini Book Jewelry
Handmade Gift Ideas: Bunny Travel Pillow
Tute Tuesday: Cross Stitched Sewing Box

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...