A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Curious if a project is for sale, or if someone wants to do a private swap with you?  Please Personal Message the member rather than posting on the thread.
Total Members: 300,868
Currently Running With Scissors:
488 Guests and 13 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Fiber Friday 5/4  (Read 7096 times)
Tags for this thread: fiber_friday  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

bixby2
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2007 07:40:09 AM »

Wow Star.  Next time ask him "passive agressive much?"  My hubby is worse than jealous, he is an enabler.

Back on topic, I ADORE your yarn Harlem Purl!  It looks great!  And Vanillaxlight, I love your skein too!  It looks so squooshy Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check out the Electric Sheep Fibers!  http://amysbabies.etsy.com

My Blog
http://amysbabies.wordpress.com/
nicolassa

How do you like my lovely hat?

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2007 08:05:01 AM »

Whoa!  I guess I'm lucky...my husband loves it when I spin.  I don't know why, but he gets this lovesick look on his face whenever I'm sitting on the couch concentrating on not breaking a single or whatever. 

Harlem purl, I freakin' LOVE your rich, autumny yarn!!!!!  That has to be one of my favorite colorways ever!  And it's so evenly balanced.  Beautiful!

Here's my contribution for the week:

Scrapazoid

I basically took all my leftover singles and plied them into a nice big skein of squooshiness.  There's a little of everything in there...merino, superwash, alpaca, merino/tussah, corridale, romney...and about 130 yards, I think, spun on my drop spindle.  Someday I have got to try an actual wheel.   Smiley  Anyway, yay!  I love Fiber Fridays!!
« Last Edit: May 04, 2007 08:11:59 AM by nicolassa » THIS ROCKS   Logged

I have no idea what you're talking about, so here's me with some yarn on my head.

Etsyness:  http://WhirligigYarns.etsy.com

Bloggity:  http://whirligigyarns.blogspot.com
vanillaxlight
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2007 08:17:38 AM »

ooh, I hate when men are jealous of my hobbies.

Vanilla, try talking to your local spinning or weaving guild. I just learned that they sometimes have used stuff for sale. Also ask your teacher, she might know someone too.

Ive already found out, actually! $20 for a year membership to the guild, then I can get a wheel (ashford or louet), a drum carder, a niddy noddy, and a skein winder all for under $20 per month Grin

My boyfriend is interested in the process of making yarn, at least for now. He likes watching me do it, and he even asks me about it. Hes not interested in the finished product at all, though!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I'm no longer a moderator, but I will always love June 2005 - October 2008

http://robotsinagrid.com
feralfeminine
« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2007 09:45:57 AM »

I don't have pictures of most of the yarns I spun this week, so I guess I'll show them next week. Here's what I do have pictures of:

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/227/481890882_1826fee032.jpg

Foxmask - vegan handspun! "faux cashmere" nylon in brown, grey, pale green, and pale blue, gunmetal grey "black diamond" bamboo, and pale blue nylon sparkle, all plied with dark brown polyester thread.

Dandelion - This yarn is super detailed and complex. I spun it from batts that I carded myself. I don't usually spin handcarded yarns to sell, since it takes extra time (I use hand cards, not a drum carder), but this yarn reminded me that it's totally worth it! I carded together silky-soft superwash merino wool in bright yellow and green, white bamboo, gobs of yellow and green recycled sari silk, and lots of sparkle in two different shades of green. The sparkle doesn't show up well (or at all) in the pictures, but since it was carded into the fiber the entire skein has a subtle shimmery sparkle to it. This yarn has the most amazing texture! It's very smooth, soft, silky, and airy. It was inspired by the time I've spent with the local dandelion population recently - you can see my recipe for dandelion biscuits, with a photo, here.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2011 09:01:18 AM by jungrrl - Reason: changed non-working images to links. » THIS ROCKS   Logged

vanillaxlight
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2007 09:47:38 AM »

dandelion loooks absolutely beautiful. I always looove the bamboo yarns, but dandelion is my favorite hands down. love the coloration
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I'm no longer a moderator, but I will always love June 2005 - October 2008

http://robotsinagrid.com
feralfeminine
« Reply #15 on: May 04, 2007 09:53:26 AM »

vanillaxlight - thanks! And I like your  'oscar' yarn - I love a plump two-ply! Yum, it looks nice and squishy.

My boyfriend actually spins occasionally, he just doesn't like it. And he doesn't ever knit or anything, even though he knows how (I don't think he likes that, either). I once asked him why he spins if he hates it so much (it's actually funny watching him, he gets so MAD) and he said he just thought he should know how.

Actually, the wheel I'm using now is his. He's never once touched it, ever.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

inle_rah
« Reply #16 on: May 04, 2007 10:05:57 AM »

feralfeminine - Dandelion is gorgeous.  I am totally in love.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

about me
my wists
Ravelry
My Etsy
Personal swaps?  Yes, please.
patchworkarmy

Goin where the water tastes like wine...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: May 04, 2007 11:19:40 AM »

feralfeminine, I LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOOOOOOVVVVVEEEEE that first skein.  I just dyed some roving last night in a mint chocolate colorway. I'll take pix and put 'em up when I can, but YOURS is AWESOME! I always love your yarn. *sigh*
I love fiber friday! =0)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

RecycleMicol
Phasing out my swaps for now. I'll swap again later!

Use it up, Wear it out, Make it do or do without!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: May 04, 2007 11:36:14 AM »

Fiber Friday already???  Time flies when you're at home all day...every day...week after week!  Tongue

Such great yarns so far!!!  Kudos to the beginners!!!  Oh, wait...that includes me, too!  Hee-hee!

Here's my yarn for this week.  Lots of details in my craft blog.

'My favorite things' mixed media art yarn (which is really actually huge!  It looks like a small skein here, but it's 8.5 ounces and 390 yards!

'Dewberry Cobbler' - Cashmere and Llama boucle lace weight (which is more purple than this, but the camera wouldn't cooperate.)

THIS ROCKS   Logged

For my Free Knitting Pattern for Hand Springs Fingerless Mitts:

View My Craft Blog

I'm finally on RAVELRY!  User ID RecycleMicol
subloke
« Reply #19 on: May 04, 2007 12:07:25 PM »

So pretty already today!!  Dandelion really caught my eye.  The green is so vivid and almost living.

My contribution to Fiber Friday.  About 115 yards of chunky/worsted weight 2 ply wool, 4 oz. 

I'm not sure the breed of sheep it's from but I bought the roving from Custom Woolen Mills in Carstairs, AB.  I dyed it using Rit dyes.  The roving wasn't as "smooth" as any other that I've purchased to date, so I found it a bit of a struggle to get the yarn smooth (i.e. not lumpy) and wasn't sure if I would like it but now that it's plied I really do like it. 

THIS ROCKS   Logged

if you can't be a good example then you'll just have to be a horrible warning.

http://yesimadethat.blogspot.com
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Wear a White Blazer
How to Get a Complete Inexpensive Outfit
The Jeans We Are Wearing This Season
Designer Makes Clothes from Fermented Tea
Milan Shoe of the Day: Fendi
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Hippogriff
Handmade Gift Ideas: Exploding Needle Box
Handmade Gift Ideas: Japanese Shibori Dyeing

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...