A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, remember that you can always click the Modify button to edit the post and add additional information.
Total Members: 302,608
Currently Running With Scissors:
404 Guests and 5 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Another first timer.  (Read 823 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

xKikaiderx
« on: May 02, 2007 10:59:24 AM »

I have been lurking around and drooling over handspun yarn... So I figured I would try. Here is my first attempt...

Did I do it right? I bought the spindle on etsy and it came with that pencil roving. It's wool of some kind or another. Smiley I do like the color, and I don't know what I'll knit with it, maybe I'll use it as edging on a pair of fingerless mitts. *ponders* Anyways, I asked my boyfriend's dad if he would make me a spindle, since he's awesome at working with wood. He made me three. I really like his a lot better than the one that I bought for one reason. His wheels are bigger and have more weight so it's easier to spin. Which brings me to a question: There's no place close to me that offers spinning lessons.... yet. How do you keep the spindle spinning and use both hands for the fiber!? I have to predraft to perfection and then keep the spindle spinning with my left hand and feed the fiber with my right... Is that correct? I've only learned from online and the pamphlet that came with the spindle I bought.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2007 07:49:57 AM by vanillaxlight » THIS ROCKS   Logged

www.yarnjunkie37.bl ogspot.com

*~* interested in personal swaps *~*
eatmoreplants

AppleAndTree.Etsy.com

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2007 06:25:12 PM »

I predraft my yarn before I start spinning and get it almost exactly how I like it. Then I wrap it around my left wrist. I spin the spindle with my right hand and if I need to fix the fibers I stop the spindle by putting it inbetween my knees then I use both hand to fix the fibers before I keep going. Your yarn looks great! Keep it up I can't believe how much I have improved from my first skein!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Apple & Tree
appleandtree.etsy.c om

Apple and Tree believes in the philosophy of re-using before recycling. We make one of a kind pieces using salvaged items as base material and offer authentic vintage fashions.
anneadeline
Crafty Scientist

GEEK on so many levels

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2007 06:31:55 PM »

Great job on your first try!

When I spin on a spindle, I start it spinning with my left hand then move it up and use both to draft.  When the spindle slows down or stops, I just spin it again.  I recommend this site, since it has videos:
http://www.joyofhandspinning.com/HowToDropspin.shtml

THIS ROCKS   Logged
zeeblebee
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2007 12:48:32 AM »

I really like the colour of the yarn, it is really nice. Congrats for your first skein Wink.

Once I have spun yarn that is long enough I either bend a little of just hold it nead my foot and use one foot to flick it along the other, making it go really fast. Depending on how long the distance between the whorl and the end of the shaft you might be able to give it a go.

I like to predraft, and then put a little twist into the fiber (so it holds together better) before winding it onto a wrist distaff. Although predrafting can help acheive a look you are going for, I wouldn't stress too much about inconsistencies as they can be fixed up in the drafting.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
xKikaiderx
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2007 06:34:02 AM »

Thank you for all the tips and the link. Smiley I can't wait to spin more and try some new techniques.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

www.yarnjunkie37.bl ogspot.com

*~* interested in personal swaps *~*
picklesticks

It's ok, we're all friends here.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2007 03:42:17 PM »

I really like your handspun yarn. I have a spindle and have not been brave enough to use it yet. This whole thread was very inspirational. Thank you all.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Need to Know: The Smart Watch, Swing Skirts, and The Lunchbox Fund
London Fashion Week from the Vine of a Make-Up Artist
Revlon by Marchesa Nail Wrap Review
Tips For False Lashes and Daytime Foundation
Anna Sui - NYFW Spring 2014 - Interviews, Backstage & Runway
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...