A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Did you know you can view all images posted by a member? Learn how here!
Total Members: 297,196
Currently Running With Scissors:
620 Guests and 30 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2]  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Because all girls need a crinoline!  (Read 8846 times)
Tags for this thread: party_dress  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

lilchef23
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2007 06:57:16 PM »

how long did it take you to make that
THIS ROCKS   Logged
hibbers
« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2007 08:09:28 AM »

I did it over a couple of weekends, probably about 10 hours altogether?  Although that's partly due to my crappy sewing machine!

how long did it take you to make that
THIS ROCKS   Logged
thebakersgirl
« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2007 06:43:48 PM »

I like it! I looked at the dress, too, it's really pretty!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Oh sweet Jesus! A boob! She's making a BOOB!" -InkFaery
The Hunger Games Swap: crafting!
http://emilymayhem.blogspot.com
Stars_Fire_17
Drop the Yarn and no one gets hurt!

Kitten

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2007 11:19:31 PM »

Ooo looks great. I agree.  All girls should have one. It makes skirts look awesome.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Kit

"Stars, hide your fires, Let not light see my black and deep desires"
LisaB234
« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2007 12:38:08 PM »

Great petticoat! I'm also into the 50's styles - they really work for us girls with small waists and bigger hips. . . SO, I think I will make a petticoat. I have a few questions - how much shorter does the petti need to be than your skirt? I'm thinking of making a generic white petti but I have a few darker dresses and don't want petti peeking out! If the skirt is several inches long (full circle skirt) will the fabric hang funny where the petti stops? I was thinking of making a "less poufy" version first - maybe no netting? Suggestions welcome!

Thank you for your inspiration!

Lisa
THIS ROCKS   Logged
catjonfitz
« Reply #15 on: June 20, 2007 01:08:44 AM »

Thanks for your very kind comments. I will attempt to answer some of your questions.

No I didn't use a pattern proper pattern, the top part is from a pattern for a fitted skirt with waistband and I cut to about 20cm. Made from poly cotton.

The next tier is three layers sandwiched together. The poly cotton was 112cm (44") wide so I ripped off four strips about 20cm wide across the width of the fabric. Joined two into a large circle gathered and gathered the top, so it would fit onto the upper skirt. Then repeated this with the other two pieces. I had 2 metres of nylon net so I cut a piece about 20 cm wide and kept it 2m long. I made this into a large circle and gathered it to fit the upper part as well the sandwiched it between the two layers of poly cotton and attached them all together to the top part of the crinoline.

For the lower level it was eight pieces of poly cotton and 4 lengths of netting. The poly cotton was joined into 2 circles of four lengths and the net was 2 circles of 2 lengths. All gathered to fit the layer above. The poly cotton was attached to the inside and outside layers only and both layers of the net were attached to the middle layer of net.

I did not have any particular problem sewing the net. I made sure I had changed the tension so it was loose on top to make it easier to gather. I took it slowly until I felt I was happy with how it was sewing. I do have a very good machine so that may have helped too.

The completed length of this crinoline is about 64cm (25") waist to hem. I have tried it out under a few different skirts. If the skirt is a very light weight material it helps if the crinoline is nearly the same length as the skirt, as the skirt will hang a little differently where the crinoline stops.
An example of a light weight skirt is here:
http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=176436.0

With a heavier fabric it is not so critical but the weight of the fabric will press the crinoline down more so may no look as puffy.
This is the dress I originally made the crinoline for:
http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=165403.0
It is quite a bit longer but generally it is hard to tell where the crinoline stops.

How much fabric did it take? 2m of 150cm wide nylon net and about 2.6m of 112cm wide poly cotton.

How long did it take? I made it over two days but a lot of that was figuring out what it was I was doing and how to get the result I wanted with the amount of fabric I had available. Also gathering over four metres of fabric really does take some time.

I am contemplating making one without the net too. I am travelling to the UK in late August early September and would love to take my dresses but the crinoline would be impossible to take just for the fun of it. Possibly I'll make one with two or three layers of poly cotton only and make it a similar length. Should be better for everyday type wear and more practical for packing. I am also considering making one in black.

Don't be afraid if this project, technically it was very easy, though it got a little awkward working with the bulk by the end. I'm very happy with the end result.

Good luck.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Love clothes!
Need to Sew!
Terrified of cutting beautiful fabric!
LisaB234
« Reply #16 on: June 20, 2007 04:13:50 PM »

I would be thrilled if I got results like you did! Thank you for all of the info - I think I will give it a go, thanks to you! ;-)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
KMartKid

WakingUpKK.etsy.com

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #17 on: July 27, 2007 07:12:56 AM »

That is so incredibly fabulous.  I saw it with the dress on the blog.  I must say, the dress would have been cute without it,  but with it, the dress is outstanding!  I absolutely love it! I think of the skirts I have worn all my life and realize that half of them would have been more awesome with crinoline.  I have been jipped.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I like apples.
elephantfanatic

real girls shoot guns!

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 13, 2009 09:51:14 PM »

You are absolutely amazing! I'm planning on making a teal colored one to go under a tea-length wedding dress, and this is just the instructions I needed! Thanks!! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"All Cinderellas have their midnight." Thomas S. Monson.
when_im_sixty4
Perpetually awkward

Craft Big, Dream Bigger!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: June 14, 2009 12:29:34 PM »

thank you for the wonderfully detailed explanation! After I visit the conversion charts (metric confuses me, lol) I'm going to try this myself. It would be perfect for a costume I want to make!

Thanks again! Oh- and your dresses are so beautifully made as well, you have great talent!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"[crafting] fills my days,
not to mention the living room, bedroom, and closets."
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2]  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Select Calligraphy Fonts
How to Buy Calligraphy Paper
How to Do Lines in Calligraphy
How to Make Your Penmanship Better
How to Illustrate Anime Characters
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Pumpkin Spice Latte
@Home This Weekend: DIY Drum Light
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...