A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can now organize your bookmarks into folders!  Read more here.
Total Members: 297,176
Currently Running With Scissors:
575 Guests and 26 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: I'm emotionally drained... now with picccy on offspring  (Read 1838 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

r3dh3d
« on: May 03, 2007 02:11:49 PM »

Too many firsts!
- my first copy from an existing garment, not a pattern
- my first reversible
- my first crossover top
- my first ... no, second bit of gathering (I guess I did it once when I was 12 though it's a dim memory and I won't tell you how long ago that was)
- my first lap-and-fell seam.  At least, I think that's what I ended up doing on the fly when the frilly bit wasn't working out....

Talk about biting off more than you can chew.  I'm a mess. Shocked  Anyhow, here it is.  Apologies for dreadful photo quality, it's a camera phone.  And thanks to hooseanna and onemoreseam for their help & advice on my thread in D&Q (where you can see the thing I was trying to copy).  Which advice, possibly I should have taken a little more of.... Grin Grin Grin  I'm off to get a good stiff drink.  

and here's a piccy on missy herself.  Please excuse DH putting his socks on in the background.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2010 05:26:13 PM by jungrrl - Reason: changed links to images » THIS ROCKS   Logged
ScotSkipper402
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2007 02:24:40 PM »

I'm off to get a good stiff drink

You've earned it. That's a darling little dress, and you can't tell the "right" side -- which is the sign of a really good reversible garment.

But if it's your dress... please drink in moderation. You could stunt your growth. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"For what do we exist, but to laugh at our neighbors and be laughed at in our turn?"

My stash of supplies is now Beyond Life Expectancy. I love personal swaps! http://www.wists.com/redmennis
onemoreseam
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2007 07:40:01 PM »

Cheers!   Grin

It looks awesome!  Thumbs up on the eyelet decision.   Wink  Looks great.

So when you recover, make sure you dish the dirt...how did you do end up putting it together?  How bad was it?  What did you do w/the "pits"? 

THIS ROCKS   Logged
r3dh3d
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2007 12:20:37 AM »

I put it together the hard way, of course! lol. 

You can't cut the centre back on the fold because the crossover strap is part of the same piece and goes past the fold (if that makes sense) so it has to be 3 pieces per side.  I worked out what they had done and just did the same, so sewed the shoulder seams first, giving me one sort of complicated U-shape of material per side.  I sewed the sides together down the neck/armpit seams only and turned right sides out through the shoulder seams.  I only attempted this because I'd used very thin material for both sides!  Pressed this and then switched the two back sides over so the crossover was in place, turned the back seam inside out again (iyswim) and formed that seam.  Then did the same with the side seams.  Then topstitched the entire neck/armhole seam, which after the crossover is all one seam now, in an almost moebus strip thingie.  (Is that how you spell it?)

I did the pits how they did the pits, ie with elastic, forming the casing and stitching the elastic down in one process with the topstitching.  It would have been easier if I hadn't been half way through the topstitching when I remembered I needed to do it....

The frilly bit was, as you predicted, a bit of a pain.  (I was going to say a rude word there).  I pressed under the hem of the main top on both sides and then put the frill on with one lot of topstitching.  The issue was that gingham which wasn't the robust polycotton sort, it's a very fine cotton that is fine and floppy and bias-ey.  I got 1 1/2 yards for $2 (or rather 1.5m for 1!) as a remnant the other day, and was using it because I thought I was bound to make a complete hash of it so best use something cheap.  I wasn't thinking at all, actually - now I know that if you make something reversible, it's much easier if you use 2 fabrics that behave the same!  So I never managed to get the two hems exactly the same length because the gingham side kept shrinking and growing mysteriously, so there are a couple of places where the stitching on the gingham hem is a bit wobbly!  Anyway, I'm not going to redo it.  I shall just look the other way!

Scots - Re: alcohol stunting my growth; worth a try.....
THIS ROCKS   Logged
shroomama
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2007 10:06:02 AM »

So I take it you aren't going to make another one? Wink  It is really lovely, beautiful work and yay for you, it's done!  I've thought of taking one of these on before and then decided against it, you've reminded me why.  At least it turned out really well, I'm sure if I attempted this it would end up being a weird crumply thing.   
THIS ROCKS   Logged
balkandina

Junk+funk+glue=Art

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2007 12:18:56 PM »

A job well done!! It's way too complicated for me. Cry It's lovely.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"People sometimes reproach me with having neither genius nor talent nor deep feeling, but I have a will of my own"Isadora Duncan
ScotSkipper402
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2007 08:34:03 AM »

So pretty! It's a shame not to make another one, now that you know how. The 2nd dress would just fall together.

OTOH, you know you can do it, so you've more than earned an easier project.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"For what do we exist, but to laugh at our neighbors and be laughed at in our turn?"

My stash of supplies is now Beyond Life Expectancy. I love personal swaps! http://www.wists.com/redmennis
jutybo
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2007 10:16:28 AM »

Wow!  I love this!  It really looks like two completely different shirts with your fabric choices.  It does sound really difficult, but you made it very well.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Naomi Watts Wears An Unusual Little Black Dress
How to Rock the Military Trend for Fall and Winter 2012
Get The Look: How To Wear Harem Pants Like Rihanna And Kim Kardashian
Jessica Biel and Scarlett Johansson Together At Hitchock Premiere
Waiting in Line For Margiela For H&M
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: DIY Drum Light
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...