A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Craftster is for freely sharing how to make things! Don't post pics of things you sell in hopes of getting some sales or we'll have to bust out the LIMBO stick on you! Wink
Total Members: 302,365
Currently Running With Scissors:
567 Guests and 16 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Teaching a lefty  (Read 3625 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

artteacher
« Reply #30 on: May 07, 2007 01:35:34 AM »

If your son is 'left handed'.. please do go to the store and buy him the child's scissors labeled:  LEFT HANDED   *THERE is a big difference...

However, if you've never bought him 'left-handed' scissors.. maybe he can use the right handed ones w/ his right hand w/out a problem- then, if this is true.. he should have no problems w/ his fine motor skills and doing things RIGHT or LEFT handed.

However, if you've ever noticed that his cutting is very jagged and uneven.. maybe the scissors are the problem?

THIS ROCKS   Logged

I've got a brand new blog:  *I'm one with the masses now!

*Life and adventues of an American living overseas who finds time to knit every now and then.
http://iwouldratherbeknitting.blogspot.com/
missknittypants

Knitting is my happy place

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 07, 2007 02:56:28 PM »

I'm a lefty who uses my right hand for many things- mostly from modeling a righty. (so I'm weakly left handed??)  I cut with my left hand - even with right handed scissors.  I've just gotten used to it.  It only bothers me if I'm doing a lot of cutting at once.

Back to knitting- I agree it's muscle memory, just teach side by side, don't make a big deal about handedness, and everyone tweeks it to their own way eventually.

As a kid, I never noticed my "different" handedness unless it was pointed out (by a pushy rt. handed 1st grade teacher), and only then did I get confused and worried about it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Mnemosyne_LA
« Reply #32 on: May 07, 2007 05:43:38 PM »

I cut with my left hand regardless of what kind of scissors I'm using. Most lefties I know do cut with their right hand.

It was self-defense -- at my school, the only way to get left-handed scissors was to bring them yourself, so it was either use the right-handed ones or twiddle your thumbs while everyone else did fun stuff.    Angry

I use scissors right-handed, but I can't cut a straight line to save my life.  Even with a line to follow, it ends up a little wavy.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
artteacher
« Reply #33 on: May 07, 2007 07:54:43 PM »

Missknitty..
I had to laugh a little.. my pushy 1st grade teacher was ACTUALLY my own grandmother (small country school and only 1 teacher per grade-- no choice) and I do 'vaguely' remember (maybe I pushed it deep down to block it out?) her making me be right-handed?   In her defense .. in her 'day and time'.. it was much more difficult to be a LEFT-HANDED person. So, I just think that she was trying to help me.

So, as a result:  I draw, right, paint... do all fine motor skills w/ the right hand.. but, I do carry all backpacks, packages/ open doors/etc.. with the LEFT HAND.. Cheesy

I think the left-hand feels left out and knows it can't do any of the 'biggie' stuff.. so, it does the strong stuff.. Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

*Life and adventues of an American living overseas who finds time to knit every now and then.
redwitch
« Reply #34 on: May 07, 2007 09:26:41 PM »

Well there's an interesting difference between what you are inclined to do naturally - like a very strongly left-handed person naturally doing everything with the left hand - but if you are forced to use your right hand for some or all things, that hand will be best at those things, and the one you are accustomed to using and most accurate with, and you might end up being kind of right handed. But not really.
Re the LH scissors: I don't know whether I have ever even seen a pair in my life and my cutting's okay (I prefer my left hand for most things including cutting) because there are so many scissors that do not have bias toward a certain side in the handles. I can't use right-handed scissors because the handles dig deeply into my hand bones. But non-sided scissors are fine because the handles are equally well suited for left and right.
If the blades are also aligned for dexies, as I think is the case with all the scissors I've used, the line of sight is obscured to the cutting line, but I don't find it difficult to lean over to the left or twist my hand so I'm looking at the cut line (usually).

Sarah
THIS ROCKS   Logged
missknittypants

Knitting is my happy place

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 08, 2007 08:53:52 AM »

Missknitty..
I had to laugh a little.. my pushy 1st grade teacher was ACTUALLY my own grandmother (small country school and only 1 teacher per grade-- no choice) and I do 'vaguely' remember (maybe I pushed it deep down to block it out?) her making me be right-handed?   In her defense .. in her 'day and time'.. it was much more difficult to be a LEFT-HANDED person. So, I just think that she was trying to help me.

This same pushy teacher also thought I wrote "incorrectly" because I hold my pencil with my thumb and first finger and resting on my 4th finger instead of 3rd.  That plus left handedness- oh the horror  Roll Eyes.  She said it was because I was from Rhode Island (I was a Navy brat who had just moved mid year to Ohio).  I was already a very shy kid.  She made me use one of those rubber triangle pencil grips.  It sucked.  What a bitch.

Sorry about the rant- btw, my handwriting is excellent and she didn't "convert" me.  I think the callus on my 4th finger from writing adds character!  Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged
artteacher
« Reply #36 on: May 08, 2007 02:11:51 PM »

Missknitty.. Hey, wanna compare our callouses?  Mine is on my 3rd finger!!   Cheesy

THIS ROCKS   Logged

ikillbarbies
Poor College Student

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 08, 2007 02:37:37 PM »

Hmm...I'm fairly right-handed with a few exceptions.  When I knit, I tend to switch between lefty and righty without paying attention.  My grandmother pointed it out one day and I've had to be conscious of which side I'm working ever since.  I have even switched mid row.  It's pretty weird.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

YouTube Channel Home to my animations and video shorts
redwitch
« Reply #38 on: May 12, 2007 02:53:30 AM »

I just decided to post and mention this webpage that allows you to make your mouse left-handed: http://members.jcom.home.ne.jp/mtpsoft/swapmousebuttons/

It is possible to change your mouse buttons over by going through the correct drop-down windows etc. in microsoft or whatever, but if you download this free you get left-handed cursors as well as being able to change your buttons by simply hitting two keyboard buttons. Left-handed keyboards etc. are expensive but this is free and easy. Try using the mouse left-handed if you want to understand a tiny bit of the problems left-handed people face every day.

There are also webpages that will explain how to teach lefty people to write, many school teachers don't know that LH kids have trouble and need to be shown how to do it LHed, if not they may always smudge their ink and wonder why they get told off for having sloppy handwriting despite trying very hard to write as well as the other (RH) kids. If he has figured things out for himself that's great and you might not want to confuse him, but keep an eye out for him having trouble with things in the future if it looks like something that might be difficult as a result of his being LH.

Sarah
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
DIY Fashion Inspired by the Kitchen
Is a Bra the Secret to Looking Slimmer?
4 Fashion Looks For Only $80
2013 Summer Swimsuit Fashion
5 New Ways To Wear A Little Black Dress
Latest Blog Articles
Mountain Views
@Home This Weekend: Fabric Boxes
Tute Tuesday: A Pod of Narwhals

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...