A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Need help? Click the HELP link at the top of the screen to read the docs or ask at the Help Desk.
Total Members: 298,096
Currently Running With Scissors:
366 Guests and 3 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Anne Elliot Spencer designed by me - - EDITED to add PATTERN  (Read 145665 times)
Tags for this thread: pattern , tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

canarysanctuary
« on: May 03, 2007 11:18:39 AM »

Here is a knit I've been working on for a few months now.

It's worked in a clover pattern on tiny wee needles.  I had a lot of fun making it.  The pic of the back is better:

It took me a few months to make, but only because I didn't work on it exclusively.  I wasn't sure about the length to make the sleeves, so I just winged it (and of course decided that they were quite long enough after only about an inch!)  I'll probably be making another in the near future.  What do you think:  should I make one with 3/4 length sleeves? 

Thanks for looking!  More details on my blog, http://canaryknits.blogspot.com/2007/05/wee-spencer-christened-anne-elliot.html

___________EDITED__________

Please let me know if you see any glaring errors.  I didn't keep the best notes going along.  I hope this isn't too convoluted.

Sized for a 36" bust.  You can read my suggestions for pattern-improvement.
Gauge:  7 sts/inch
Yarn:  Wendy – Peter Pan 4 ply
Needles: 2.5 mm
Extras: seven 1 cm buttons, tapestry needle.
Warning: crochet ahead!
Hook: 3 mm

You can block the Spencer to make the lace look nicer.  Just don't use pins that will rust! (yes, I did).

Double Seed Stitch:

Row 1 - *K2, p2. Repeat from * to end of row.
Row 2 – As row 1.
Row 3 - *P2, k2. Repeat from * to end of row.
Row 4 – As row 3.

Clover Lace:

Rows 1 and 7 – K
Row 2 and all Wrong side rows – P
Row 3 – K2, yo, sk1, k2tog, psso, yo, *k5, yo, sl1, k2tog, psso, yo*, rep from * to *.
Row 5 – K3, yo, ssk, *k6, yo, ssk*, rep from * to *.
Row 9 – K1, *k5, yo, sl1, k2tog, psso, yo*, rep from * to *.
Row 11 – K7, *yo, ssk, k6*, rep from * to *.

Back

CO 82 sts
work 1x1 ribbing for 1 cm (0.5 inch)
work double seed stitch for  6 cm (2.5 inches)

Begin clover pattern, and begin increases.  Increase 1 st on each side on the Front Side of the work until piece measures 23 cm (9 inches) long.

(I had to fudge the pattern for the increases.  What I did was placed markers at the beginning stitches, and continued the pattern as normal within the markers.  When there was enough stitches outside the markers  - which is seven, I believe - I worked those in pattern).

Shaping armholes:

When piece measures 21 cm (8 inches) long, begin shaping armhole by dec 2 sts on each side of Front of work for six rows.  Then dec 1 st each side until piece measures 28 cm (11 inches).  Arm holes are now shaped.

Continue in clover pattern until piece is 36 cm (14 inches) long.

Front Panels:

Work two.  Just remember to reverse the neckline and arm hole shaping!
At this point, choose which side you want the buttons on, and which side the button holes.
CO 38 sts (this is what I did, but I recommend casting on a few more.  I found the front panels to be a bit small).

Do the same shaping for the front panels as you did for the back, save for the 6 sts along what will be the buttonhole edge.  Here I just kept the knitting in sockinette.

Button holes:

You create the first buttonhole on the first row of double seed stitch, and from then on place the buttonholes at approximately  2.5 cm (1 inch) intervals.
All I did was work 2 sts on buttonhole edge, cast off 2, and continue in pattern.  Then on the next row, you just CO 2 sts over the space created by the 2 you cast off. 

WHEN THE FRONT PANELS MEASURE 8 INCHES
Begin neckline shaping. (this is also when you begin armhole shaping!)

Neckline Shaping:
Cast off 18 sts to create beginning of neckline.  You should have about 30 sts left.
Now you continue to shape the neckline edge by dec 1 st along neck edge every Front side row.  Continue dec in this manner until you have 12 sts left.  Work until front panels are same length as Back.

Sleeves:

Make two.

CO 70 sts. 
Work 1x1 ribbing for 1 cm (0.5 inches).
Begin clover pattern.
Work in pattern until piece measures 4 cm (1.5 inches).

Begin shaping sleeve.
Dec. 1 st each side of Front of work until you have 2 sts left (my sleeves ended up being 16 cm/6.5 inches long).

Finishing:

Sew up side seams, shoulders and sleeves.  Place and sew buttons.
Pick up sts along neckline (sorry, I didn’t count them), and knit two rows in stockinette.  This makes a nice edge for you to create the crochet trim upon.

Neckline crochet:
Starting at one edge of neckline, make 1 sc.
Skip 2 sts. 
Make five dc in next st.
Skip 2 sts.
Slip-stitch this down.

There you have the mini-shell that I used all the way around the neckline.  Just continue the pattern til you get all the way around the neckline.  I consciously kept my crocheting a little looser, because I was afraid it would pucker the knitting and look funny.

Suggestions for improvements to pattern:

If I were making this pattern again, I would add an inch-worth of extra stitches to the bust area (I would spread this out across the front panels, so I'd add 0.5 inches to one side and 0.5 stitches to the other).

I would also attempt to do it in the round, at least for the bottom half.  I only suggest this because I dislike sewing seams.

I suggest creating a row of garter stitch on the edge of the front panel where the buttons will be sewn.  This will make the fabric want to lay flat, rather than curl under like the original does.

Here is a pathetic Paint diagram of the measurement I took of the Spencer.  If you can measure your own gauge, you can fit the pattern to you and your own yarn/needles/tension.

« Last Edit: May 22, 2007 08:34:20 AM by canarysanctuary » THIS ROCKS   Logged

"I am because my little bird knows me."
http://canaryknits.blogspot.com/

"Gentlemen! We can't *all* be the Honey-Nut Cheerios honeybee!" -Crow
Marykz

did I say one project at a time?

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2007 11:33:13 AM »

that is Very cute- I like the short sleeves!  the clover pattern is really attractive. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
yellowblanket
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2007 11:50:27 AM »

wow...this is absolutely gorgeous!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

my wists: http://www.wists.com/yellowblanket

will knit for: earrings, cloth pads, homemade soaps, and handspun yarn. PM me if you want to swap!
kinderbean
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2007 11:52:21 AM »

This is really cute! Good job on the pattern. I think it could also look cute in a longer version (I don't usually wear shorter shirts myself) but it looks great on you. Where does the name come from?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

knightswhosayknit
Veni, Vidi, Texui

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2007 12:17:53 PM »

Beautiful! The details are perfect, and it fits so well. And you should post this in the Jane Austen KAL (I'm assuming it's named after that Anne Elliot?), they'd love it over there.

I think a 3/4 sleeve version would look awesome as well. (are you going to write up a pattern?) What yarn did you use for this one, btw?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Anyone on Ravelry? My username is Caitlism, friend me!
laceypooh

I've looked at clouds from both sides now..

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2007 01:26:26 PM »

that's absolutely gorgeous! 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

“I want to have fun. I want to shine like the sun. I want to be the one that you want to see. I want to knit you a sweater. I want to write you a love letter. I want to make you feel better. I want to make you feel free.” --Joni Mitchell

http://laceyknitsandpearls.blogspot.com/
carmabelle1191
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2007 03:13:21 PM »

Good job! I want to make one! Do you have a pttern written? Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

my blog-carmabelleknits.blogspot.com. I love comments!
soobeeoz
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2007 03:13:42 PM »

That's really sweet!  A longer, 3/4 sleeve version would look good too.  I like the neckline finish.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Please feel free to check out my Dating and Tiffany Ring blogs.  A few more are listed on my profile page.  Smiley

http://www.safedatings.com

http://www.cheapweddingringssets.com
jennirose
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2007 04:25:39 PM »

I love this!! I would love to make one! are you going to share the pattern? Smiley please??
THIS ROCKS   Logged

crocodisle
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2007 05:49:39 PM »

Aw, that's adorable. Great job!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

If all our life is but a dream, fantastic posing greed
Then we should feed our jewelry to the sea
For diamonds do appear to be
Just like broken glass to me.

The northern downpour sends its love.
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Art of VIBE: How & Nosm Go From Tagging Trains to 4-Story Buildings
Glen Berger Tells The Back Story of Spider-Man: Turn Off The Dark
Light and Movement Digitally Added to Van Gogh Paintings
This Artist Uses Bananas as His Palettes
Stalled at Comicon
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Scrabble Afghan
These Are a Few of My Favorite (Spooky!) Things
Meatless Monday: Pea, Potato, Leek, Mint Soup

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...