A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Did you know you can view all images posted by a member? Learn how here!
Total Members: 297,151
Currently Running With Scissors:
578 Guests and 28 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: selling clipart?  (Read 705 times)
Tags for this thread: copyright  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

weholdparties
« on: May 02, 2007 06:56:56 PM »

I'm not sure if this is the right site to post this kind of question but I have no idea where to look for this kind of thing otherwise.
Does anyone know of or know where I can find the rules concerning selling clipart?  I'm an vintage/antique book collector and I've amassed quite a bit of clipart from the pages of my beauties that I'd love to share with the world.  I'd be more than happy to give them up for free but if I could make a penny or two on my posessions then, well, where's the harm in that?
So if you, or a specific website have the rules concerning copyright I'd be much abliged.

THIS ROCKS   Logged
itscribe
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2007 04:30:28 PM »

I would think each book would have to be researched individually to determine if the copyright was renewed or not - I would not assume by it's age that it wasn't.

I'm only guessing here, but I would think for those images not copyrighted you would be on firmer legal ground if you sold a collection or compilation of them rather than singles.

If you are in the US, the copyright office in Washington (phone number was on the site somewhere) may be able to answer your question.

It might be better to offer the images for free (retains the spirit of copyright law - regardless of the current status of the books) on a website that has advertising (Yahoo, Google or other affiliate), but again, you probably should ask someone with specific knowledge about copyright law.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

weholdparties
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2007 07:03:05 PM »

I appreciate your help, I've been looking through websites to help me aswell but I will definitely take your advice to mind.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Francis Bacon Painting Sells for Record $142 Million
Tintin Under the Hammer and More Art Stories
Vogue Weddings - Artist Happy Menocal
Artist Uses Mouth to Paint
Art of VIBE: How & Nosm Go From Tagging Trains to 4-Story Buildings
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: DIY Drum Light
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...