A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Please remember to SEARCH before asking a question that may have already been answered. Thanks!
Total Members: 297,130
Currently Running With Scissors:
588 Guests and 24 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: custom-made pricing  (Read 1035 times)
Tags for this thread: pricing  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

taylormade
« on: November 09, 2004 09:30:49 AM »

i'm having some major problems determining pricing for the clothes i make, and i am regularly undercharging people and overworking myself.

i make limited edition silkscreened prints, embroidered clothes, and one-of-a-kinds. i also offer the option of customizing all my designs to the individual (color shirt, ink, placement, etc). the custom-made clothes are really what is holding me up----how much do i charge for a custom-made tee shirt?should i charge per placement?  part of why i offer customization is because i don't usually have a big stock and so if someone orders off my website i end up going out and making it, which is why i decided to make a set amount of limited edition items. after they are all sold, the design must be ordered custom-made. another issue is that i sell at craft fairs, artsy boutiques, sample sales, and off my website----so my range of cutsomers and pricing is all over the place.

any pricing advice would be greatly appreciated.

many  Huh Huh ???thanks,
taylor
« Last Edit: December 16, 2006 05:32:04 AM by jungrrl » THIS ROCKS   Logged
MellifluousCouture
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2004 04:27:51 PM »

I determine my prices by first determining my base materials cost.  So I make handmade clothing, there's fabric, zippers, thread and assorted notions.  To the materials I add a 20% mark-up for time spent acquiring materials.  I also add to this administrative costs (I figured out my average production per week and how many hours per week I spend doing business stuff and spread the cost over all the pieces).  then I determine how much I want to make any hour ($20) and I time the lenth it takes me to do each design.  I too offer custom pieces so I also have standard prices for each customized aspect (sleeves +10, felt applique +5-15).

It was complex to set up but now I just have a list of numbers that I plug in and viola!  I have a price.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
april_cocaine
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2004 04:10:43 AM »

great  site, but where are the prices?

i like to keep my stuff fairly cheap, as i know it's a struggle for many people to find OOAK pieces that don't cost too much.

I add the prices of the materials i need, how long it took me, and shipping prices too (for UK reisdents) i'm not looking to make a big profit you see.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

havilah

If you ask me how I amIll say Im fine.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2004 03:02:42 PM »

First of all, your stuff is kick ass! 

I agree with MellifluousCouture.  That is roughly how I determine my prices.  Something else that has helped me is talking to my parents.  They help me out with setting up for craft events and such.  And they know how much time and effort I put into my stuff.  Often times I price things too low and my parents are the ones to encourage me to increase the prices.  So, maybe you have a friend that could be your sounding board while you work out pricing.

Just a thought.
Good luck and when I have money to spare I'll look you up.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Its easier to lie than stand emotionally bare.
stajdaml
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2004 08:41:15 AM »

i also agree that it's a good idea to ask someone close to you. i usually ask my husbands advice, because he's the one who actually sees me working my butt off.
also, you just have to figure out what your time is worth to you. you could be someone who just enjoys the work and isn't really out for too much profit, like april cocaine. or you could be someone who is trying to support your income through your site. once you decide what you want out of it, it's easier to justify your prices, and you won't make yourself feel bad if you have to start marking up prices.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

april fool
-handmade bags and accessories-
http://www.iloveaprilfool.com
lixxie
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2004 08:44:42 PM »

MellifluousCouture: I checked out your site, and your clothing is obviously well-made (that wrap-tie sweater looks gorgeous!) so the price is definitely justified. I was wondering, though, do you get much business if you don't mind my asking? Do people seem to mind paying $40+ through an independant business on the internet?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
taylormade
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2004 07:08:40 AM »

thanks for everyone's advice.
just to clarify, my prices aren't on my site yet for two reasons: one, i'm not an official business and didn't want to get in trouble, and two, i'm still having pricing problems b/c a lot of the stuff on my site is not made in large quantities, so often i have to go make the items when someone orders. usually this is someone i know or met at a craft fair, so they are patient, but if i want to expand, i'll have to start printing larger quantities and only put those items on my site.

as for your advice, i thought what you, mellifluous-c, said about factoring admin costs and time it takes to get supplies into product cost was really important. i've never thought about that----but it really makes sense if you're trying to make your crafting a real job, which i am.

friends also do help me with pricing. i guess it's the custom made factor that is holding me up. 5-10 dollars per placement makes sense to me, i just have to determine my base rate (for printing this means determining set-up costs).

and thanks havilah for your support---if you're ever in the sf area, look me up and i'll let you know about one of my craft fairs for the best deals!

taylormade

THIS ROCKS   Logged
MellifluousCouture
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2004 07:16:22 PM »

Lixxie,  sorry I didn't respond sooner.  I get a lot of business but not usually from individuals in the shop.  I have the site set-up mostly for wholesale/consignment store owners.  I decided that since I took the time to maintain the site it was worth adding a shopping option to it, though I only make a few sales a month through the site.  I have regular customers though that do buy through the site.  Most of my sales are through Brick & Mortar stores however and the site is a good way to make those stores acquanted with my work. 

THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Photography Lighting Techniques Part 2/2
Six Lies About Digital Photography
Photography Lighting Techniques Part 1/2
How to use a light meter
How to Work with Natural light
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!
Spotlight on: Woodburning

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...