A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Please remember to SEARCH before asking a question that may have already been answered. Thanks!
Total Members: 297,553
Currently Running With Scissors:
597 Guests and 26 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 [3]  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: I bought a loom!  (Read 3264 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

yarn_mafia
« Reply #20 on: August 14, 2007 07:12:04 PM »

In my weaving class we were taught to weave in a few lengths of toilet paper tabby and then to cut it off... that way if you are going to fringe or sew the end of it you won't lose the tension that you had woven it at, it won't start to unravel on you or anything.  Then after you sew the edge you can pull out the toilet paper or if you are doing a fringe you can tear the paper a few inches at a time so if it takes you a while to do the fringe you can just do like an inch or two at a time and leave the rest ofthe paper in, and just keep tearing the paper off as you go... if it doesn't make sense thats probably b/c i'm not explaining it that well but let me know if it helps!

We usually used rags in our class for evening out things at the beginning just for the reusable-ness. Although, someone did a nifty project with toilet paper as a weft in a huck lace design. She just could never never ever wash it. Ever.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Catapultam habeo, nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis ad caput tuum saxum imane mittam.
my site: www.geekyyarn.blogspot.com
my wist: http://www.wists.com/yarn_mafia/
niftyknitter

when I'm dreaming...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: August 15, 2007 05:40:24 AM »

wow i couldn't imagine using toilet paper for the whole weft... we use it in the begining as well as the end.... she taught us to use that instead of rags so that if we want to knot the ends of the finished piece we could just tear little parts of it out at a time so the rest of the piece would stay even and tensioned if we couldn't finish the knotting all at one sitting, but using rags would be way better and more enviromentally friendly, especially if you are going to sew the end to close it instead of knotting it Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

This summer I am biking across America to raise money for Habitat for Humanity!! Check out my site to see how you can help the affordable housing cause!
http://seewetzbike.wordpress.com
yarn_mafia
« Reply #22 on: August 16, 2007 10:13:14 AM »

When my classmate used the TP for the weft, it was a small sample with the end of our warp after we finished our huck lace samples for class. I think that project was 6" wide and a foot long. Not very long.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Catapultam habeo, nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis ad caput tuum saxum imane mittam.
my site: www.geekyyarn.blogspot.com
my wist: http://www.wists.com/yarn_mafia/
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Enhancing Waterfall Photos in Photoshop
Lightroom and Photoshop Panorama Stitching Trick
Understanding a Cameras Sensor Size
Selectively Sharpening Your Photos with a Brush
Watermarking Your Photos Using Lightroom and Photoshop
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Banana Pudding
@Home This Weekend: Seed Packet Gifts
Cooking: Honey Month

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...