A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Curious if a project is for sale, or if someone wants to do a private swap with you?  Please Personal Message the member rather than posting on the thread.
Total Members: 296,680
Currently Running With Scissors:
456 Guests and 8 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: I bought a loom!  (Read 3138 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Melladh
Jolly doomsday prophet

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2007 09:46:25 AM »

hmm... well, I'll ask a friend to see if she can post something - she took a year of weaving Roll Eyes
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"That's my lab table and this is my work-stool. And over there is my intergalactic spaceship! And here's where I keep assorted lengths of wire."
Vildhavre
« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2007 10:01:03 AM »

Actually, if you're done with your weaving and don't want to use that warp anymore you can just cut it off and remove it Smiley Umm.. I don't remember if it was best to start in the middle or from the edges. A few threads in from the edges I think was best.. You want to save a few at the edge so the whole thing just don't fall down. Then you cut a few to the left, then to the right, then left again and so on until you reach the middle, then you cut the one at the edges. You might be supposed to tie them after you've cut them so the weave won't fall apart. I'll try to make a picture if this is unclear Wink Unfortunately I can't consult my weaving books since I'm away from home at the moment..

Oh! one more thing.. It's hard to see what you're weaving. But when we were doing carpets and had thicker weft we finished the weave by weaving with the warp as weft for a couple of inches. I don't know if it is anything you want to do, but now I've said it at least Smiley

And I would advice you to get a book. Loan one from the library if you don't want to buy one. It helps a lot! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Will swap for a DIY handmade paper kit!
Ginamonster
Monsterlicious

hee hee.

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2007 05:13:13 PM »

Ah. the library. I already checked for weaving books. And I looked at the bookstore too. Nada.I haven't been able to get to another library or bookstore. BUT your advice is helpful. I was just going to start cutting. it sounds like I would have had a nightmare! Thank you so much!  Let me try to post another picture. It really isn't anything, just a long length of practice fabric.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I like making stuff. Rumor has it, I'm an elf. Like a Santa Elf, not one of those elegant LOTR types.  Mostly because I compulsively craft and partially because I have green shoes.
idrinktea
« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2007 05:21:22 PM »

I've only tried weaving once when I was about 12. Good luck with your new toy! You practice fabric is pretty Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
wwrich
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Elsbeth's Mom

« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2007 06:10:33 PM »

I was originally going to just write...

We just cut the threads, and did a zigzag on the sewing machine.

Then I decided that a few more details might be in order.....This is how I was taught to finish a piece...There are several other ways too...

Finish your weaving.  If you want to put a border on, do it now.  Then use something fairly coarse, like rug yarn, and weave an inch or so of tabby with this.  This is not permanent.  Its just to hold things in place while you move things around.  Advance the finished work to allow yourself a couple of inches of warp where you will be cutting it. 

If you want to put a fringe on the finished piece, make sure you leave enough warp thread for that too. 

Pull enough warp through the loom so you don't lose any threads. You can also secure them with a pair of sticks. Since you are planning on sacrificing the rest of the warp, this is less important.

Cut your finished piece off.  Unwind and untie the starting end.  This is where you would tie the cut ends left on the loom to the bar.

Bring the finished weaving to the sewing machine, and do a small zigzag on the last "finished" weft thread on each side.  You might want to remove the rug yarn before you do this -- it depends on how good you are with a zigzag and how "slippery" the finished piece is.

If you don't have a sewing machine, I know some people use a hand stitch before they remove it from the loom.  I haven't ever done that.

You could also tie about every 1/4 inch of warp threads together to form a little fringe on each end. 

I know many people don't do any of this.  If you are planning on cutting the fabric to make something else, it doesn't make a lot of sense to spend too much time on what will be "scrap" anyway.

We also did that "sacrificial" coarse stuff at the beginning too.  It evens out the threads so they aren't so obviously in the groups that they are tied in.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Obsessed with Monster High dolls lately.

In the Chicago area?  Want to come to a great crafty weekend?  Check out http://www.musecon.org/
Ginamonster
Monsterlicious

hee hee.

« Reply #15 on: June 19, 2007 10:38:42 PM »

Tabby?

I am a beginner. Like, no classes, no books, just one brief lesson once at the Ren Fair (just a couple of passes on the loom, really, not much of a lesson, enough to make me want more.) some time on my inkle loom,  and whatever i have gleaned off the internet.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I like making stuff. Rumor has it, I'm an elf. Like a Santa Elf, not one of those elegant LOTR types.  Mostly because I compulsively craft and partially because I have green shoes.
yarn_mafia
« Reply #16 on: June 20, 2007 08:16:17 PM »

Tabby is a plain weave (1 x 1). I use left over 1" strips of cloth at the beginning of my weaving (instead of coarse thread).
Nice beginning weaving.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Catapultam habeo, nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis ad caput tuum saxum imane mittam.
my site: www.geekyyarn.blogs pot.com
my wist: http://www.wists.com/yarn_mafia/
Ginamonster
Monsterlicious

hee hee.

« Reply #17 on: June 20, 2007 08:52:15 PM »

thank you *blush*
THIS ROCKS   Logged

niftyknitter

when I'm dreaming...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: August 11, 2007 08:09:17 PM »

In my weaving class we were taught to weave in a few lengths of toilet paper tabby and then to cut it off... that way if you are going to fringe or sew the end of it you won't lose the tension that you had woven it at, it won't start to unravel on you or anything.  Then after you sew the edge you can pull out the toilet paper or if you are doing a fringe you can tear the paper a few inches at a time so if it takes you a while to do the fringe you can just do like an inch or two at a time and leave the rest ofthe paper in, and just keep tearing the paper off as you go... if it doesn't make sense thats probably b/c i'm not explaining it that well but let me know if it helps!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

This summer I am biking across America to raise money for Habitat for Humanity!! Check out my site to see how you can help the affordable housing cause!
http://seewetzbike.wordpress.com
Ginamonster
Monsterlicious

hee hee.

« Reply #19 on: August 13, 2007 09:02:03 PM »

Of course it does. Thank you.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Carve a Turkey - In The Kitchen
The Rookie Cook: How to Cook Bacon
Shrimp Creole Recipe
How to Make Broccoli Rice Casserole
Seared Orange Salmon - Alaska Salmon Recipe #3
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Teacup Bird Feeder
Winner of Craft Challenge #100-Pottermouth
July 23, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...