A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have an idea for improving the Craftster swap process?  Suggest and discuss it here on the Talk About The Swap Process board.
Total Members: 302,045
Currently Running With Scissors:
553 Guests and 6 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: I bought a loom!  (Read 3582 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Ginamonster
Monsterlicious

hee hee.

View Profile available for personal swaps
« on: May 02, 2007 05:09:26 PM »

I bought this loom last week, and today, in a fit of determination, I carried it from my car, up the stairs and into my apartment. Now I just need to learn to use it!

It's an 8 harness Gilmore "Sample Loom" that used to belong to Mr Gilmore, himself. I should quit posting and go play with it!

I also bought all her accessories. I think I have enough to be weaving for awhile...

THIS ROCKS   Logged

I like making stuff. Rumor has it, I'm an elf. Like a Santa Elf, not one of those elegant LOTR types.  Mostly because I compulsively craft and partially because I have green shoes.
BYA

Cunning, don't ya think?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2007 05:57:15 PM »

OooOoOoOooo  A new toy! Have loads of fun Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"It's a real burn, being right so often" - Malcomb Reynolds

Some of my illustrations:
http://www.dreamstime.com/easystreet_portfolio_pg1
My greeting card store:
http://www.greetingcarduniverse.com/easystreet
mountain_waif
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2007 05:55:43 AM »

Great Scotts!!  What a wonderful loom!!!  I am green with envy thinking of all the wonderful things you are going to create with that stash!

Please take lots of pictures of your progress and share the experience as you learn.  I'm always looking for tips and ideas.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
yarn_mafia
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2007 10:07:03 AM »

I am so jealous. Loom envy strikes. I haven't even looked at the loom sitting folded up in my living room since I got it...need to go look at that...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Catapultam habeo, nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis ad caput tuum saxum imane mittam.
my site: www.geekyyarn.blogspot.com
my wist: http://www.wists.com/yarn_mafia/
Ginamonster
Monsterlicious

hee hee.

« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2007 12:40:57 PM »

I'll post pictures. I am working on warping it right now. I hope I am doing it right! I had to throw out a handfull or two of the warp that was already on the loom, and I'm doing it backward from what I learned on the net...I can't wait to use up her warping on practicing so I can start my own from scratch!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I like making stuff. Rumor has it, I'm an elf. Like a Santa Elf, not one of those elegant LOTR types.  Mostly because I compulsively craft and partially because I have green shoes.
Ginamonster
Monsterlicious

hee hee.

« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2007 05:58:42 PM »

So, here is what I have woven so far. I would really like to know how to take this off the loom so I can make my own stuff...I can't find directions on the net. Help?

I have more pictures but photobucket has gone funky.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

leahwoo9
Woohoo - my etsy!

Does this smell like chloroform to you?!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2007 07:05:46 PM »

That's beautiful!!!   I've only ever used a lap loom that I made myself but this fascinates me!! 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://woohoocrossstitch.etsy.com  My g-rated store

http://crotchstitch.etsy.com  My x-rated store (beware!)
Ginamonster
Monsterlicious

hee hee.

« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2007 08:05:23 PM »

I need a lot of practice...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Melladh
Jolly doomsday prophet

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2007 03:20:18 AM »

I think you usually just roll it up on the .. thingy... so you won't have to re-tense the threads again, because it's hard to get them perfectly even. Just roll it up and roll up some of the thread too (warp thread..? can't remember the english name!) so you'll have enuogh distance to finish off both that and "your own" project.. Smiley
Then you just start weaving. Once you've weaved off all your warp(?) thread, with multiple projects, that's when you start removing it from the loom.

You can ofcourse do it earlier, but then every time you take it off, you'll need to re-tense the threads... which is a pain... never done it myself, but it's not an easy job according to everyone I know who've ever done it Roll Eyes
« Last Edit: June 19, 2007 03:22:21 AM by Melladh » THIS ROCKS   Logged

"That's my lab table and this is my work-stool. And over there is my intergalactic spaceship! And here's where I keep assorted lengths of wire."
Ginamonster
Monsterlicious

hee hee.

« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2007 09:23:52 AM »

That's the trouble, I want to change the warp and start an all new project. The warp is lovely, but it has a lot of noils, and I would like to try something a lot more even so that I can see how I am doing.

BUT since I don't know how to finish off the project that is on the loom, I'm stuck! I'm pretty sure I'm not supposed to just stop weaving and cut it off...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Pan Roasted Chicken Breast Recipe
Roasted Garlic and Golden Yukon Mashed Potatoes Recipe
Roasted Sweet Potatoes and Maple Sausage Gravy Recipe
Thanksgiving Turkey Roulade Recipe
How to Roast the Perfect Turkey
Latest Blog Articles
Book Review: Handmade for Baby
Tute Tuesday: Warm Those Piggies!
Which Came First?

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...