A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Need help? Click the HELP link at the top of the screen to read the docs or ask at the Help Desk.
Total Members: 298,626
Currently Running With Scissors:
724 Guests and 17 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: WANT TO START RECYLE FOR THE ARTS PROJECT  (Read 11401 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

indie anna 58
"I am for an art that is political-erotical-mystical, that does something other than sit on its @ss in a museum." Claes Oldenburg

No Beefcake Without Irony

View Profile
« on: January 16, 2004 07:52:21 AM »

I was recently in New Orleans and visited their "Recycle for The Arts" Project. I would like to start a similar project in SW Ontario but first would like to research similar "recyle for the arts" projects in the U.S., U.K. and/or Canada. If anyone has participated in a project such as this, or has one in their area and would like to share information, or is aware of any web resources worth checking out, I'd really appreciate it if you could take a sec. to let me know. Thanks so much. (This site is kind of a virtual "recycle for the arts" project in itself -- it totally rocks and the people are amazing!!)   Cool
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Glitter on the mattress
Glitter on the highway
Glitter on the front porch
Glitter on the hallway
-LoveShack/The B52s
Dewey

A true friend stabs you in the front - O. Wilde

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2004 09:37:59 AM »

It sounds neat...but I don't know what it is...do you have more details
THIS ROCKS   Logged
indie anna 58
"I am for an art that is political-erotical-mystical, that does something other than sit on its @ss in a museum." Claes Oldenburg

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2004 09:56:22 AM »

It sounds neat...but I don't know what it is...do you have more details

Hi. Its a project I saw down in New Orleans where instead of people throwing stuff out (paint, paper, mags, fabric, wood, metal tins, whatever) they donated it to a central location where it was sorted into piles by volunteers and then other artists (or whoever) could go into the "depot" and buy stuff for like....75 cents a pound! You could also barter for materials (swap with other artists!) So its a kind of enviro. project + arts proj. + recycle proj.  Huh I'd like to do some research and find out more about it. Maybe apply for OAC grant? (Toronto might be large enough to start this kind of project without "seed" funding, but smaller cities? I don't know. Not a lot goin' on here right now...)   Undecided Maybe I should just go ahead and put up posters or something and see if I get any feedback that way. Let me know if you have any brainwaves or want more info, okay?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Glitter on the mattress
Glitter on the highway
Glitter on the hallway
-LoveShack/The B52s
Dewey

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2004 04:58:38 PM »

I'm totally interested in helping out

My e-mail is ewokgrl@canada.com, let me know when you have more info

I can design a poster if you like

The Gargoyle, one of the campus papers at U of T (and clearly the one I vounteer for ) is having a zine fair on March the 1st if you want I could put up some posters and have a contact sheet

It's a place to start
THIS ROCKS   Logged
SilverBamboo

"Don't dream it... Be It."

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2004 05:09:23 PM »

Its a project I saw down in New Orleans where instead of people throwing stuff out (paint, paper, mags, fabric, wood, metal tins, whatever) they donated it to a central location where it was sorted into piles by volunteers and then other artists (or whoever) could go into the "depot" and buy stuff for like....75 cents a pound! You could also barter for materials (swap with other artists!)

(I'm not in Canada, but...) I found this:

http://www.recycleforthearts.org/

...and I think the idea is brilliant. There are links on the page for learning more about recycling. I would contact them directly for ideas and start-up suggestions. Thank you very much for posting this.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Make something beautiful.
mac_U
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2004 01:53:20 AM »

the 'recycle for the arts' thing sounds great.  i'm sure alot of people would be interested beyond just artists.  

also, where is the zine fair gonna be held at?  i'd luv to go to that too.  
THIS ROCKS   Logged
indie anna 58

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2004 06:13:21 AM »

Shocked Wow! You guys are great. Thanks so much for all the feedback and support.  silverBamboo - Thanks  Wink for the link to the programme in New Orleans. The friend I was visiting down there helped to start the programme but it was started a few years ago, and she did not really have much of the original paperwork (ie. details of strategic planning, etc.) left. She wasn't able to hook me up with anyone who would have this info. So I'm just going to take your advice and contact them thru their website and see if they can help or suggest anything. I'll keep updating info. as I get it. Thanks again.  Cool
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Glitter on the mattress
Glitter on the highway
Glitter on the hallway
-LoveShack/The B52s
indie anna 58

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2004 06:32:11 AM »

I'm totally interested in helping out

My e-mail is ewokgrl@canada.com, let me know when you have more info

I can design a poster if you like

The Gargoyle, one of the campus papers at U of T (and clearly the one I vounteer for ) is having a zine fair on March the 1st if you want I could put up some posters and have a contact sheet

It's a place to start

Thanks for your offer! That's great. I'm tied up with another project til July so I'm just getting together as much information as I can til then (unfortunately, I don't have a lot more info. than I did a couple of weeks ago. I do have some ideas (which I just scribble in my sketchbook.)  Is the UofT Zine Fair just for UofT people or can other zinesters participate? I'm very interested. I have two zines and another in progress which I could get done for March 1st  Roll Eyes (she said, hoping against hope that she could actually do so...) Is there info. on a website that I could check out? A contact address you could give out? Whatever. If you have more info., could you please let me know? (and it looks like other people like mac_U would be interested as well...) (By the way, I was totally blown away by your offer to design a poster -- that was totally "above and beyond" -- Kiss -- thanks so much!) Craftster has got to be one of the best places on line!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Glitter on the mattress
Glitter on the highway
Glitter on the hallway
-LoveShack/The B52s
SilverBamboo

"Don't dream it... Be It."

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2004 12:44:34 AM »

Please do update; I want to learn more myself. I know a lot of artists and others who would be interested in this. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Make something beautiful.
Dewey

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2004 12:05:20 PM »

Argh...sorry all

I got really sick so the zine fair came and went

I suck!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Crochet a Granny Square Blanket Part 4/16
How to Crochet a Granny Square Blanket Part 3/16
How to Crochet a Granny Square Blanket Part 5/16
How to Crochet a Granny Square Blanket Part 2/16
How to Crochet a Granny Square Blanket Part 15/16
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Paper Lantern/Ball Ornament
Falling for Autumn Crafts
Meatless Monday: Pumpkin Roll with Maple Cream Cheese Filling

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...