A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Curious if a project is for sale, or if someone wants to do a private swap with you?  Please Personal Message the member rather than posting on the thread.
Total Members: 304,856
Currently Running With Scissors:
711 Guests and 31 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: travel scrapbook - any ideas?  (Read 3347 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

diamunds
« on: May 02, 2007 09:35:48 AM »

After graduating from college, I spent three months backpacking around Europe with some friends.  About a year later, I haven't mustered up the courage to attack to the thousands (literally) of photos from the trip to make the scrapbook -

I don't want to do a chronological thing - (90 days, yikes!) - and had a few ideas (Top 10 Lists from everyone who went, an ABC thing) - but was wondering if anyone had some good ideas on how to scrapbook the trip thematically, rather than chronologically?  And also - ways to get my fellow travellers involved...

Thanks bunches!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

simplicity is the ultimate sophistication - da vinci
ermellina
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2007 11:30:06 AM »

Themes you could try:food, churches, museums, squares, people you met, busiest day, day you did the most travelling, most memorable day.

Then with the theme, have bubbles(maybe a different color assigned per person throughout the book) with their opinions about the different things.

Don't get overwhelmed!! Start by sorting your photos into piles, then go shopping for your supplies, and tackle it a theme at a time. You'll be done in no time.

There are no mistakes in scrapbooking.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

JoyceAnna Memory Works Independent Consultant #462
http://designdolcezza.etsy.com
BTStars
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2007 04:48:13 PM »

Themes you could try:food, churches, museums, squares, people you met, busiest day, day you did the most travelling, most memorable day.

Then with the theme, have bubbles(maybe a different color assigned per person throughout the book) with their opinions about the different things.

Don't get overwhelmed!! Start by sorting your photos into piles, then go shopping for your supplies, and tackle it a theme at a time. You'll be done in no time.

There are no mistakes in scrapbooking.

Yes, there are no mistakes until you chop someone's head off!!! Tongue
THIS ROCKS   Logged

danilouwho

...just keep swimming, just keep swimming...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2007 11:51:20 AM »

since you have sooo many photos, are you wanting to scrap all of them or just a select amount?

If you are not scrapping all of them - I would get all the photos in some type of regular photo album just for viewing. Then for your scrapbook you can use copies to scrap about whatever you'd like.

Also - have you heard about a two up scrapbook? Here is the link to it:
http://www.simplescrapbooksmag.com/mag/article.ihtml?idx=451&issue_idx=20&page=1

It's a good idea when you have alot of photos that kinda tell their own stories. The things you can do with this type of album are endless.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

diamunds
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2007 01:26:02 PM »

thanks for the link, danilouwho!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

simplicity is the ultimate sophistication - da vinci
jessersmisadventures

we are the knights that say nee!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2007 07:20:43 PM »

In addition to "regular" scrapbooks/ albums, one thing I did with some of my fave pictures of my own Europe trip was get a pack of those corkboard "tiles" (about $3-$5 at Target, etc.) and use them as a stand-alone scrapbook page and/or mini bulletin board.  The cork tiles are already 12x12, so cardstock, etc, can be taped to it, if you want everything to be cute and coordinated.  It's a great way to display some of your favorite pics!  I also did a similar idea on a larger scale by using tissue paper and cardstock on one of those big foam/ posterboards, and added pics of a roadtrip, along with random fun stuff, like strips of leather, dried flowers, etc.  (Sorry no pics to show you what I mean.  My digicam got stolen in Naples!  Never go there, nasty place!)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Visit my beautiful, brand new shop! I am currently offering free shipping to all fellow Craftsters!

www.Palmyria.etsy.com
scrills
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2008 12:40:06 PM »

I like the idea of themes. Think of the book "Eat, pray, love". Pick a couple of simple themes and go for it
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sumsmom
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2008 01:59:42 PM »

I recently completed a scrapbook for my granddaughter about her trip to Japan.  She was there for a week and ended up with 400+ photos.  I chose a K&Co Life's Journey 8.5x8.5 album with a compass embedded in the front cause I thought it was cool.  Anyway, it was a surprise Christmas gift, so I couldn't ask her input on anything, which kind of limited what I could do.  However, she had described her photos pretty well when she uploaded them to Kodak's website, so I retyped her descriptions and printed them and cut them in strips for photo titles. 

I decided to separate her photos into different cities she had visited such as Kyoto, Tokyo, Kobe.  To show separation, I made a filler page with the name of the city before each new city section.  Since I couldn't write any journaling, I left large tags here and there for her to write her thoughts on.  I also weeded out lots of photos because there just wasn't going to be enough room for all of them.  I also tried not to make every page "design perfect" and tried to squeeze as many photos as I could on the pages for her. 

My original thought was to separate the photos into sections title "The People", "The Places", "The Cuisine", "The Sights" etc., but I went with the city thing instead.  If your traveling companions have access to email, I would email them a photo and ask them to give their thoughts on it, which you could then print off and include with the photos. 

I'm going to try to show some photos here, but I've never done it on this forum before so we'll see if it works!

Corinna

« Last Edit: February 12, 2008 05:38:18 PM by jMi » THIS ROCKS   Logged

nycelle
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2008 02:47:49 AM »

I love the Japan scrapbook, sumsmom, it looks great - what a thoughtful gift!

I especially like the brownish borders on the text captions on the second and third pages. How did you get that effect?

Diamunds, re: your original question, I would suggest starting by picking out your very favourite photos and work from there - see what themes suggest themselves when you've picked out the best images.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Kyrie04
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2008 06:51:58 PM »

I'm still scrapbooking my trip to Scotland which I took LAST May, so I know how you feel!

I'm doing mine by places as well. Except a little different. We visited a lot of really cool different places. So I have "castles," "graveyards" "churches" "cities" "people" "landscapes" "seascapes" etc. Because my bf is also into cars we have a "cars" page coming to life as well. When I was going through my pictures, that's just how they seemed to all make sense. I agree with what nycelle said about looking at ur pics and seeing if they give you any ideas themselves.

Good luck and post pics!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Hot Floral Dresses for Spring
Mastering the Art of Laid-Back Parisian Style
How to Look Chic But Feel Comfy
DIY Cute American Flag Shorts
5 Trendy Spring Looks For Less
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Easy Tile Coasters
Tute Tuesday: Scrabble Afghan
These Are a Few of My Favorite (Spooky!) Things

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...