A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 300,875
Currently Running With Scissors:
684 Guests and 23 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: First post - a wristlet; my new love. Tutorial added;picture heavy.  (Read 7279 times)
Tags for this thread: tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

chezlin
« on: May 01, 2007 11:33:00 PM »

Normally I make purses.. nothin' special - usually just totes, but recently I've been wanting a smaller to lug my crap around, so I decided to make my very first wristlet!  I wanted it to be fairly organized, so I put pockets for my credit/id cards inside, kind of like a wallet.  Naturally there are some things I'd change if I made another one, it being the first one I've ever made, but I still love this wristlet so much!

And to the most important part of this post; the pictures!

Here it is!

Side shot.

The innards, complete with my cards, phone, writing utensils and lip gloss.

Whelp, I hope you guys enjoy it as much as I do!

Edit:  Tutorial added!! Here ya go.
Alright, here is the fabric I used:

The pink is going to be the outside and the green is going to be all of the inside goodness.

Ok, first I'll explain how to do the hardest part; the ID pocket.  I cut out a strip of green fabric, measuring 18 1/2 by 5 inches(now that I think about it, I think my measurements were off, but its okay, you can just cut the excess off later)  The easiest way to fold it correctly is to start from the left side, measure about three inches(I added in the seam allowance there), draw a line, and from that line, measure 1 3/4 inches, draw a line, from there measure 2 1/4 inches, line, and then from there alternate 1 3/4 and 2 1/4 until you get to the end, and you should end at 2 1/4 with a little bit of fabric left over.

From the left side, fold the first line under, and the second line over, 3rd under, 4th over, and alternate again.  I ironed it every time I folded, so I didn't have to pin it down. Blurry pic, sorry:

Ok, sorry if that was confusing, but it was the hardest part to figure out for me, so in turn its also hard for me to explain well.

Ok, here are the rest of the pieces:

- two 4 by 8 inch pieces of the outside fabric
- two 2 1/2 inches of the "inside" fabric to line the top of the outside
- two 6 1/2 inches of inside fabric
- two 8 inch pieces of the inside fabric, folded in half

- one 10 inch by whatever width you want your strap to be times 2.  I think I made mine about 2 inches... I didn't really measure, sorry.

Fold the 10 inch piece and sew along the side, iron, la de da, and you have the strap!

Pin the 2 1/2 inch strips to the top of the outside pieces, right sides together.  Here is where you'd pleat the outside if you so desired.  I didn't feel like it on this wristlet, so I did not.  Obviously if you pleat it, you should give yourself maybe an inch or two of extra fabric when you cut the outside pieces.

Sew!

Pin the id pocket piece onto one of the folded 8 inch pieces, I pinned mine to the left side, you can do it in the middle or right, whatever you want!  I did mine on the very side because I'm going to make a small pocket with the right side... that part comes later.

Sew!

Be careful if you're sewing in this direction, the pockets might get caught on the foot and make a boo-boo... like I did.  

Now take the 6 1/2 inch inside pieces and pin the two folded 8 inch pieces onto them, like so:

And sew!  Now, on these pieces, I didn't sew down the sides, I sewed straight down the middle to create two pockets on each side as well as connecting those two pieces at the same time.  I'm going to sew all of the pieces together at the end.. but if you want you can sew along the edges right now.  I sew along the seam of the ID slot pockets to connect the 6 1/2 to the 8 inch like so:

and just straight down the middle of the other one.

Ok, now you have all of the main pieces put together, all you have to do is sew 'em up! We're almost done!

I used e.r.i.k.a's tutorial for the lined zippered pouch(http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=22875.0) to help me out with this part..
Take one of the outside pieces, put the zipper on top(yes, my zipper is excessively long, but it's fine, zippers are easy to shorten), right sides together, sew.

I cannot stress this enough... make SURE you are sewing the zipper the right way... don't be like me and sew together the pieces and then realize you did it wrong.. and have to seam rip all of the pieces off... trust me, it's frustrating!

Put one of the inside pieces face down onto the outside piece and sew it together, basically on the same seam you just sewed.  

Notice here how the zipper is horrible incorrect... sadly I noticed this AFTER I sewed it on.

Repeat for the other side, lay out flat.  Make sure to unzip the zipper as well, I forgot to take a picture here.  If you don't, you will have a hard time turning your fabric rightside out at the end.

Take the strap, fold it in half, place it on top of one of the outside fabrics, and put the other outside fabric face down over it.

Pin in place..

Pin the pieces together, both of the outside pieces touching and both of the inside pieces together touching.

Sew!  Leave a small opening in the bottom of the inside pieces.

Turn rightside out, sew the hole on the inside shut, and be proud of yourself that you made it!!

Yay, beautiful!

Phew, that was a LONG tutorial, sorry if it's at all confusing, it's the first I've ever made.  I tried to add a lot of pictures to help out.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2011 10:32:16 AM by jungrrl - Reason: changed links to images » THIS ROCKS   Logged

cheera
Weenie-mobile!

OHNOEZ!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2007 11:41:28 PM »

I love this. The pleats look fantastic and...it just looks really comfy.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

www.bunny-squids.blogspot.com I am terrible at blogging!
angra
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2007 12:31:25 AM »

i like your fabric
THIS ROCKS   Logged
PolkaPolkaDots
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2007 06:55:57 AM »

That is cute!! I've been wanting to make a wristlet like that. Could you share how you made it? Please?!?!?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
SUBMITEVERYTHOUGHT
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2007 08:52:36 AM »

That is cute!! I've been wanting to make a wristlet like that. Could you share how you made it? Please?!?!?

Shocked PRETTY PLEEEEEEEEEEEEEZ!!!!!!!!!!!

It's so yummy!  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Genesis 8:22 While the earth remaineth, seedtime and harvest, and cold and heat, and summer and winter, and day and night shall not cease.
chezlin
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2007 10:26:57 AM »

I want to make another one, so when I do, I'll try to remember to take pictures and put together a tutorial for you guys Smiley  It'll either be this weekend, or sometime late next week.. it's the last few days of class and I'm swamped with final projects and test.. and then I have to pack up everything and move! So hopefully between those two I'll find the time.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

thingwraith
Awaiting zombification

Horse Montage!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2007 11:04:55 AM »

Oooh cute!!!  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://zomboid.com
My website, newly redesigned as of 9-2010! ^_^

http://facebook.com/heycookie
Yes, I have one of those, too. ^^;
SUBMITEVERYTHOUGHT
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2007 01:56:01 PM »

I want to make another one, so when I do, I'll try to remember to take pictures and put together a tutorial for you guys Smiley  It'll either be this weekend, or sometime late next week.. it's the last few days of class and I'm swamped with final projects and test.. and then I have to pack up everything and move! So hopefully between those two I'll find the time.

Thank you soooooo much, you are fantastic!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Genesis 8:22 While the earth remaineth, seedtime and harvest, and cold and heat, and summer and winter, and day and night shall not cease.
chezlin
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2007 01:46:01 PM »

Tutorial added guys, I hope it's alright!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

SUBMITEVERYTHOUGHT
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2007 06:21:21 PM »

YAY! Thanks sooooo much, bookmarked to try this soon! Wow, that was fast considering how busy you were. Thanks, it sure is a cute wristlet!! Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Removing Objects in Photoshop
How to Create Fairy Portraits in Photoshop
How to Create business cards
How to remove a double chin in Photoshop
How to Use Black and White gradient in Photoshop
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight On: Stamping
Mr X Stitch Presents: The Cutting (& Stitching) Edge - Jose Romussi
Tute Tuesday: Imprinting on Concrete

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...