A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can get cheap (and legal! Wink) advertising by donating a challenge prize! Go here for more info.
Total Members: 297,072
Currently Running With Scissors:
676 Guests and 27 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 11
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Is this going to be ridiculously difficult?  (Read 9547 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

savvymercury

black nails= badass knitter

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2007 11:17:13 AM »

i've made a wall hanging that was kind of like this, out of lots and lots of shibori pieces.
my advice to you is to NUMBER YOUR PIECES, or figure out annother way to keep track of them.  the trickiest part of it, for me, was remembering which square went where.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sewincbm

maybe i just like towels!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2007 02:04:27 PM »

well i don't know much about quilting, but looking at your picture, if you wanted to do lots of blocks built the same way and put them together instead of the grid, where there are alot more types of blocks (am i making sense? like i said i know very little about quilting), it looks like if you do one inch strips and make the big blocks 12 inches (one inch strips and a 2 inch square in the middle), the middle sized ones 6 inches (with a 2 inch square in the middle) and the smallest ones 3 inches (with a one inch square in the middle), it would all work out.  this way, all the blocks are built the same way and you could just count how many big ones, medium ones, and small ones there are and make them.  i think it gets more complicated if you do two inch strips....but i don't know. 

i hope you figure out some way to make this quilt, because it looks so cool!
and i can just imagine how awesome it would look in lots and lots of colors!!

C
THIS ROCKS   Logged

holla
tiph_thompson

Can't. Stop. Making. Things.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2007 04:37:28 PM »

Have you seen Kaffe Fassett quilts?   Your drawing makes me think of this one, on the front of his patchwork quilt book (which I own, and HIGHLY recommend)

http://www.amazon.com/gp/reader/0517708531/ref=sib_dp_pt/104-2972476-1003132#reader-link

He does that as such:

Divide your overall-sized design into a grid of squares or rectangles (each one, say, a foot by two feet, or whatever), and then use each of those squares/rectangles to subdivide into a bunch of smaller "stripey squares" as you say.  Smiley Overall, the quilt will look random, but it's actually divided and subdivided into squares so that the sewing together in the end is easier, you just keep sewing together smaller bits into larger groupings that makes squares, and then sewing those together into larger squares/rectangles.  It means when you do your design, you have to line things up a little sneaky-like.   Wink

**edit** ooookay, i did this really fast funny-looking drawing to try to explain better:
« Last Edit: July 13, 2010 12:53:11 PM by jungrrl - Reason: fixed a coding issue » THIS ROCKS   Logged

My sewing machine brings all the boys to the yard.

You'll find the fruits of my labor here:
www.odkins.etsy.com

Great vintage fabrics, books, supplies:
www.TheHaps.etsy.com
Homerof2
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2007 05:59:32 PM »

Quote from: KatherineEmma
Rather than do it in fiddly little tiny strips, I'm thinking of cutting it down into 3 x 3 squares in strips, like so: (my pink pen lines are a little faint, you might have to squint  Wink )

I can see this idea working if you break it into smaller sections.  If I was doing it, I would make some traditional log cabin style and some of the more 'interesting' shapes paper pieced.

I can't wait to see this finished.  I think it would look great just black and white but will look wonderful in a riot of colors!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

KatherineEmma
« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2007 06:28:51 PM »

Have you seen Kaffe Fassett quilts?   Your drawing makes me think of this one, on the front of his patchwork quilt book (which I own, and HIGHLY recommend)

http://www.amazon.com/gp/reader/0517708531/ref=sib_dp_pt/104-2972476-1003132#reader-link

Yep, that's what I'm after! Awesome cover. I'm going to have to get hold of that book.

I notice on that one the squares aren't a uniform width - it didn't even occur to me to do that. I might include a few thinner squares as I go along - it'll mix it up a bit and also use up some of my smaller scraps.

I started putting a few blocks together earlier today and quickly realised that doing everything in 3 x 3 squares was utter, utter madness for someone as impatient as I. I might live to regret this later on but I'm going to try doing it all log cabin-y for now, tricky seams or no.

Photos to come when I get a couple more blocks done...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

tiph_thompson

« Reply #15 on: May 02, 2007 09:35:28 PM »

hurray!  good luck with it.. fiddly things are really rewarding when they're done. usually.   Cheesy
I'm not a big quilter..I just do it once in a while.. but that book is stunning and has all kinds of neat patterns in it. 

I look forward to seeing your finished product!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

www.odkins.etsy.com

www.TheHaps.etsy.com
LibbyK

Eres la fea mas bella y no te has dado cuenta...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: May 03, 2007 09:05:01 AM »

http://www.flickr.com/photos/cassieblanca/482437430/in/pool-quilts/

This is from the flickr group quilts & quilting (great place for inspiration, btw.)  It's from that same Kaffe Fasset book Glorious Patchwork, and besides this example being monochromatic, looks a lot like what you want to do.  And if you look closely you can see that there were probably no set-in seams - looks like it was constructed in sections were three four inch blocks are paired w/ a twelve inch block, then match to two eight inch blocks...well you get the idea.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://quiltster.blogspot.com

If you are working on (or thinking about starting) a postage stamp quilt with 1.5" squares, I have scraps and squares to give away.  PM me if you're interested.
ZumaGirl74
Rebel at home & abroad.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: May 03, 2007 09:41:06 AM »

I love the Kaffe Fasset quilt - I've seen others in a similar style.  I can't wait to see yours when it's all finished. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

tiph_thompson

« Reply #18 on: May 03, 2007 09:41:07 PM »

LibbyK.. that's that exact same quilt from the front of the book, just in a different colorway.  What a fantastic picture. 

OH darn it you guys.  You're making me want to start another quilt and I don't even remotely have time for it!! Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

www.odkins.etsy.com

www.TheHaps.etsy.com
ranchelmarie
« Reply #19 on: May 05, 2007 11:42:01 AM »

those quilts are absolutely gorgeous! i think i'm going to get that book from the library and try it on a baby-quilt sized scale. i love that blue one someone posted a link to. beautiful.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 11 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Learn about Motion Picture Animation
Drawing Rosettes Part 1
Interlocking Poses for Deep Stretches
The Magic of Puppetry
How to make a Chocolate Vodka Martini
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Decoupaged Table Top
August 20, 2014 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Faux Cross Stitch Sweatshirt

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...