A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Craftster is for freely sharing how to make things! Don't post pics of things you sell in hopes of getting some sales or we'll have to bust out the LIMBO stick on you! Wink
Total Members: 297,060
Currently Running With Scissors:
543 Guests and 25 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Baby shower and gifts for mother help  (Read 1220 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Adetten
Jen the Jew

You got to pick up every stitch

View Profile WWW
« on: April 16, 2007 03:15:12 AM »

Alright well my best friend is pregnant and I'm set on making her something.

But one of the people that I hang out with in my sculpture class's wife is due in 2 weeks and I would like to make her something (I haven't met her though) and so is my boyfriends, step-moms, sisters, friends daughter (who is hosting the baby shower at the sisters house, and I will be going to help watch all the little ones and prepare for the party) Because I don't know these people so well I was pondering how appropriate it would be for me to make something for them. I would like to just because I love making things for kids (my main job is babysitting lol) and there parents when it comes to things like this.

I was considering making a taggie or a rag quilt out of flannel but I'm worried about the safety of this. I'm not sure what age its ok for them to have something like a rag quilt or a taggie, so would a normal flannel blanket be better?

Along with that I would also like to make some matching burp cloths to go with it. Is double sided flannel enough for absorption or would there be something better to use?

I would like to include a few gifts for the mom so I was thinking of one of those heated rice packs and some lavender foot soaking salts.

Is there anything else that would be better or would be wanted by the mother? Any advice or comments would be appreciated.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"What about simple people like you and me, All we wanna do is have some fun, bring some joy to everyone, play some music that makes you move, watch you shake your body and groove, bob your head to the beat and rock steady, Let me know when your ready, burn some herb and get irie.." - Outlaw Nation
creativemama
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2007 09:56:51 PM »

I've seen both the flannel blankets and the rag quilts given as new born gifts, so they both should be safe to give.

Good Luck!

Nisha

« Last Edit: May 26, 2007 06:43:37 AM by jMi » THIS ROCKS   Logged
lighthematch
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2007 10:01:50 PM »

You could sew a custom boppy pillow (for nursing) or a smaller boppy-esque pillow with small loops of ribbon for hooking toys to (an example, because I can't describe it well: http://shopboppy.com/shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=4&products_id=84&zenid=7073dfedaac681c7df4d1ac83276c9ae

for playtime when the baby is a little older. 

I made one for my daughter and was very new at sewing but found it easy to do. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man.
vintagedolz
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2007 11:42:26 AM »

I was wondering the same thing about the rag quilt.  I was so excited when I found a pattern for one because I had never seen one before.  I have a friend who's having a baby girl and she would LOVE this, but I'm thinking about a newborn laying on that fringe and wondering if it would be irritating.  Has anyone had any complaints about that?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Adetten
Jen the Jew

You got to pick up every stitch

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2007 09:45:12 PM »

I've actually found out a way to solve that, I talk to my sewing teacher who made one for her daughter when she was born and on one side, she just used a large piece of fabric, so its only frayed on one side.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"What about simple people like you and me, All we wanna do is have some fun, bring some joy to everyone, play some music that makes you move, watch you shake your body and groove, bob your head to the beat and rock steady, Let me know when your ready, burn some herb and get irie.." - Outlaw Nation
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Meet Author Sandra Brown
Davy Rothbart Reveals Who He Admires Most
Meet Author Amy Wechsler
Authors Reveal Their Favorites
Meet Author Philip Smith
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Decoupaged Table Top
August 20, 2014 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Faux Cross Stitch Sweatshirt

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...