A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: If you see a project that you think is awesome and deserves to be a featured project, you can click the THIS ROCKS button to nominate it!
Total Members: 297,217
Currently Running With Scissors:
588 Guests and 26 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Another trashy novel wallet = fun! *TUTORIAL is here to stay!*  (Read 68493 times)
Tags for this thread: wallet , book , recycled , tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

barbolot
Tutorial Contributor

A dead thing can go with the stream, but only a living thing can go against it.

View Profile WWW
« on: April 30, 2007 07:59:21 PM »

***This tutorial is back and here to stay!***
I want to apologize for removing it the first time, but someone was really nasty about it, so I felt that I had to take it off.  But I later realized that so many people (especially craftsters) have shared so freely with me, so I should also return the favor, and the people who want to be ugly can just be ugly. Tongue  

This basic wallet was not my idea... the original link does not work (but here it is anyway.)  The original design was flawed, and the wallets ripped the first time you opened them.  I changed the design, and made them much, much stronger.  My own wallet is over 1 1/2 years in use now, and still going strong.  Not bad, huh?  I hope you enjoy these.   And I don't mind if you sell wallets from this design, but please don't sell my tutorial. Have fun!

Here are my first ones:

A more recent batch:

***And now, for the TUTORIAL!***

Gather your supplies:

**paperback (or other paper media) that measures at least 4 inches wide, and 7 inches long
**scrap paper for template (cut to 4" X 7")
**cardstock for interior
**scissors
**ruler
**packing tape (or other strong tape)
**glue (optional)
**pen or pencil
**snaps (I prefer heavy-duty)
**snap fastening tool (optional -- many snaps contain the tool)
**hammer
**clear vinyl -- available on the bolt and in many remnant bins at fabric stores or even Wal-Mart
**thread
**tissue paper (optional, but recommended)
**sewing machine (recommended, but not necessary if you like to hand sew)

Make template and cut pieces:

**Cut a template measuring 4" X 7" from scrap paper.
**Fold template in half across the middle.  You will now have 3.5" on each side.
**Fold ends of template in 1" on each end... these will be the pockets.  When those ends are folded in, the wallet should measure 2.5".  See pic above for help.... I know I don't explain that part very well.

**Using your template, cut out your cardstock interior piece.
**Fold cardstock interior the same way you folded the template.  Set aside.
**Now, cut a piece of vinyl slightly larger than the template.  Set aside.
**Using your template, place it on your paperback bookcover where you think you will want to cut.  Make sure a crease does not cover a face, or major design element.  If it does, don't worry.  There are ways around that, as I'll explain in the next step.......

Adjusting for creases or too-short covers:

**I don't have an action shot of this step, but I do have a finished example.  It's easy to figure out, and I'll try to explain.....
**In this picture, the center crease would have been right across Jack London's face, ruining the design.  I needed to shift the design down a bit, but the cover would then be about 1.5 inches too short.  You'll need to basically extend the cover a bit with some extra cardstock!

**I just took a piece of scrap cardstock about 2" long, and 4" wide.  Place that scrap piece on the back of the book cover on the too-short end.  Glue the scrap piece to the bookcover, and then reinforce that part with a small bit of packing tape. (*Elmer's purple glue stick works great!)  Let it dry a few minutes.

**Now, you can cut out your cover using the template.  
**Fold cover just like the template.

Place cardstock interior inside cover:

**Make some folding adjustments to the interior if you need to to get them to fit.  It's OK (and normal) if the interior doesn't fit exactly inside the cover.  Don't worry -- that will be trimmed later.

Reinforce:

**Place a small piece of packing tape (about 1" square) in the center of each end of cardstock and paperback cover.  Make sure you put the tape on the back side of the cover! Wink

Place vinyl:

**Place the vinyl on the cover and interior.  Place paperclips on each end, on both sides.  Don't use pins.

Adjust all layers:

**Just press and work the vinyl (it can be stubborn) and line up the long edges of the cover and interior, and make sure the pockets will fold and lie fairly flat when you close the wallet.

Mark snap placement:

**Using your pen or pencil, lightly press/mark the spot for the snaps on each pocket.  It will be in the center of each pocket... 1/2" from the cut edge, and 2" from either side as in the picture above.

Place snaps:

**UNFOLD the wallet, but keep the clips in place, and lay the wallet flat.  Don't shift the papers and vinyl around, or it won't fold back up like you had it.
**Place your snaps on your pen/pencil marks according to the instructions that came with them.  The business ends of the snaps will be facing up, towards the cover side, not facing the interior side.  I hope that makes sense.
**I love the heavy-duty snaps (and they don't tear the paper, miraculously, because of the extra packing tape reinforcements!!)  I have also used smaller and decorative snaps, and they work fine, too... they're just a bit harder to set, and mess up a lot more often during placement.

Trim pocket ends:
**I don't have a photo of this step, and apparently I forgot to do it on this wallet, but trim the excess overhang of vinyl and cardstock interior to be even with the cover on the pocket ends.

Refold, and replace paperclips:

**Refold the wallet, and replace the clips on each end, but this time, clip the pocket to the rest of the wallet, like it will look when it's sewn.

Sew:

**Sew along the long edge of the wallet, very close to the edge (about 1/8".)  Be sure to remove clips as you come to them!
**Repeat for the other edge.
**Tie off thread on each end.
**Trim any excess vinyl or paper along the sewn edges now.

HELPFUL TIP FOR SEWING VINYL:
**If you're blessed with a rolling foot or teflon foot, definitely break it out for this project.  
**Otherwise, use a scrap piece of tissue paper (or the paper that the vinyl is usually wrapped in)... about 1" wide and 8" long... and place it along the long edge before you sew, and hold it in place with those paperclips.  
**Sew through all layers -- even the tissue paper -- as described in the previous step.
**When you are finished, just tear off the tissue paper.  It will come off clean and very easily!

Finished!

Other tips:
**When fitting the cover to the interior cardstock, it's much easier to make folding adjustments to the cardstock interior than to refold the cover, and it's much less noticeable!
**Old book covers and papers get brittle and soft with age.  BEFORE you fold them (as they will just break into pieces) cover the entire backside with packing tape.  The paper may still crack when you fold it, but it won't show or fall apart.

(I apologize if some of my directions are weirdly worded.  Please feel free to ask more questions if you need to!)

Now let's see those wallets!  

******  UPDATE with a couple more ideas/tips....  *******

I forgot to mention that you aren't limited to just working with paperback covers, although that's how I started.  You can use any artwork, as long as it measures 4" X 7".  It also helps if it is printed on cardstock, or at least fused/glued to cardstock to make it sturdy enough to function as a wallet.  I've made wallets for people using their original photographs, artwork or company logos, then had them printed (with their written permission, of course) at the copy shop onto cardstock.  [/i]  How cute would a wallet be with your kiddos or pets on them?!?  I made up some wallets for my brother awhile back, who is an amazing tattoo artist. . . .  

Have fun! Smiley
« Last Edit: July 23, 2009 07:08:17 PM by barbolot » THIS ROCKS   Logged

OpheliasLily
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2007 08:23:11 PM »

They are great! Could you please post a tut? The site you recommended is "currently disabled". I really need a wallet and would love to try this out!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
BeatnikChick
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2007 08:23:46 PM »

JACK!!!!!  DIG IT!  =)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Human rights are for EVERYONE.  Did you know that Aung San Suu Kyi had been released from house arrest in Burma? Many other prisoners of conscience are still being detained.  Please research this topic... Amnesty International needs your help.
averij
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2007 07:32:51 AM »

Great! I love love love these...and I'm a trashy novel addict myself...candlelight historical novels. I could totally use some of my 100+ covers to make these, if the tute is back soon Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Becca Kae
/./././.

Hey - Hi

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2007 08:06:55 AM »

I like that! Cheesy I'm not much for romance novels. But I do love agatha christie books, they would work too.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Keptastic
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2007 10:08:13 AM »

YAY!!  There's the one I carry (on the top!)  I love it Barbs!! Grin  Its the perfect size for cash, business cards, credit cards etc. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Truth does not change according to our ability to stomach it. ~ Flannery O'Connor
enakitty
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2007 02:03:21 PM »

very cool!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

WizardGlick
Save the Texas Prarie Chickens

Greener seems to fall beneath your feet.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2007 02:09:59 PM »

"This rocks" button activate!

I must try this soon. And by soon I mean I'm already ripping up books.  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
barbolot
Tutorial Contributor

A dead thing can go with the stream, but only a living thing can go against it.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2007 05:44:29 PM »

"This rocks" button activate!

I must try this soon. And by soon I mean I'm already ripping up books.  Grin

Can't wait to see what you come up with!  
Here's a few more I made:

« Last Edit: December 18, 2010 01:52:19 AM by MareMare - Reason: to fix coding issue » THIS ROCKS   Logged

enakitty
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2007 10:53:43 AM »

can't wait to try this!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make Homemade Pumpkin Puree
New York Cheesecake Recipe
Weeknight Beef Stir Fry Recipe
Homemade Apple Pie Recipe
Maple French Toast Recipe
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Molded Hot Glue
More Amazing Matchboxes
Meatless Monday: Pumpkin Spice Latte

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...