A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Did you know you can view all images posted by a member? Learn how here!
Total Members: 302,565
Currently Running With Scissors:
555 Guests and 8 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Woven magazine purse  (Read 7836 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

TheLizardQueen
« on: April 30, 2007 11:09:19 AM »

I want to make a tote bag out of magazines or some other garbage, but i have a problem. I don't know how to attach 2 sets of strips together. If I only use the one set of strips, it's too small. The Ecoist makes these rather large portfolio sized bags, and I can't figure out how they do it using candy wrappers.

I know I can't really explain myself that well, but any advice would really help me.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
akehurstm
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2007 12:44:13 PM »

I hope someone has an answer, cause I'd love to know.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

lwright311
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2007 01:22:24 PM »

There is a woven magazine purse tutorial on here somewhere but I couldnt find the link.  I make lots of woven magazine purses and sell them.

For mine the size of the tote depends on the size of the pages.  For example, I made a beach bag out of a road atlas and it was about 30" wide by 24" tall by 6" deep but most are made of magazine pages and are about 11" wide by 9" tall by 4 " deep.

What I do is tear out and fold the magazine pages to make long narrow strips.  I cover these with clear shipping tape. Then I tape some end to end to make up the front, bottom and back.  Then I cut some into 4" lengths and tape the 4" lengths to each end of a whole one for the front and sides.  I then weave them all together to form a "T".  While weaving, I secure as much as neccessary with the shipping tape.  When finished I cover the whole back with tape, section by section  so that it will still fold easily into a purse shape.  Next, I use the T to cut out the fabric lining.  I sew a pocket to the upper center if the T and then sew the T into a purse shape.  I use grosgrain ribbon or clear vinyl for the handles and attach them to the lining.  Next, I tape the T into a purse shape, put a piece of cardboard (cut to size)in the bottom forsupport.  Then I sew the lining into the bag.  If the stitches look a little sloppy on the outside,  I will either sew a thin ribbon over it or glue on some trim (I use Jewel It).  

Here's a pic.  Hope this helps.

http://pic40.picturetrail.com/VOL365/7873888/14829514/223400756.jpg

http://pic40.picturetrail.com/VOL365/7873888/14829514/224782597.jpg
THIS ROCKS   Logged
craftADDchick
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2007 01:38:41 PM »

I just got a Paper FX Dream Weaver, which contains a bunch of gadgets for weaving paper strips together (and are supposed to make the job easier). I got it on eBay because I couldn't find it in the US. But, it does have directions for how to make bigger sheets out of smaller sections. I haven't tried it yet, and I have so much on my plate for the next couple of days that I won't get to it until the weekend (unless I miraculously have a chance tonight).

If nobody has an answer posted by then, I can try it and take some pics as I go. I'd scan in the directions, but I don't know if that's allowed.

Hmmmm...the more I type, the more I want to try it now...couldn't hurt to go and test it out right now, I suppose...can you see why the ADD is in my username?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The choices you make today determine the choices you will have tomorrow.

51/50: 50+ Crochet Wash Cloth Along- Finally!!! Now for the + part Smiley
NerdyCrochetGal
Nerdy Weirdo with Yarn Skills

I am not ignoring you... I am counting stitches...

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2007 01:53:14 PM »

Your purses are super nifty.. Although, I still think I am a little confused.. Then again I am highly visual so a lot of times when people explain things to me, even if its something incredibly simple, if I can't see it being done, it goes over my head.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

HOOKER PRIDE!!!
laura1121
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2007 01:56:13 PM »

http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=153167.0;topicseen

try there! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
KittenClaws_and_PuppyToes
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2007 01:59:46 PM »

Hi, This is actually my first post.
I  have been searching too but have not found exact instructions but this is what I learned so far.
The bag is weaved 1 strip at a time, in a circle the size you want the bag's circumference to be.  Then the circle strips are sewn together, using what I don't know.  I would think you can weave heavy thread or yarn through the center of the strips and  it should not show on the front or the back.  The method is based on Mexican paper weaving and also considered "Tramp Art"  and "Prison art"  This link
http://housewife.splinder.com/archive/2005-03 has an article about George Vargas, known for his "George's Chip Bags" and the picture looks like he is sewing the strips together.  The article is about little more then half way down the page and is dated 11/03/2005.

I would give the sewing a try myself but have the flu and hiding under the blankets with my laptop until I can surface again.

Hope some of this helps!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ultconsumer
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2007 02:31:00 PM »

Here is a site with some info, too.
http://iwannanewbag.blogspot.com/2007/04/purses-made-from-candy-wrappers-etc.html
I'm trying to figure it out, too, but I can't put it all together.  I keep thinking there's got to be a way to put it all together without sewing it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Debra
I would be interested in doing personal swaps.
ISO:  skulls, skeletons, pirate stuff.
IHA or can make:  Waldorf doll making supplies, diaper making supplies, altoid tins, stuffies like ugly dolls, wool roving/needle felting

I have a wist, I have a wist!! 
www.wists.com/ultconsumer
craftADDchick
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2007 03:15:32 PM »

Well, I went and tried joining together two sections of woven paper strips, and was documenting the steps- it isn't hard, but it needs a bit of photo assistance- and I was essentially two steps away from completion when the battery on the camera died. And I was so close!!

I can't even pull off the pics that I have so far...Grrr... Angry

So, as soon as the battery is charged, I'll take a break from whatever it is that I'm working on and I finish the pics and post them, unless someone else posts what you need...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The choices you make today determine the choices you will have tomorrow.

51/50: 50+ Crochet Wash Cloth Along- Finally!!! Now for the + part Smiley
ultconsumer
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2007 10:16:21 AM »

Lookie what I found!!

http://www.thriftyfun.com/tf451164.tip.html

This seems to explain how to get more than one row of weaving.  I need to eat some more bars so I can try it out. Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Debra
I would be interested in doing personal swaps.
ISO:  skulls, skeletons, pirate stuff.
IHA or can make:  Waldorf doll making supplies, diaper making supplies, altoid tins, stuffies like ugly dolls, wool roving/needle felting

I have a wist, I have a wist!! 
www.wists.com/ultconsumer
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Crochet a 5 Stitch Ruffle Border
How to Crochet a 4 Inch Hole Christmas Tree Skirt Part 2/3
How to Crochet a 5 Chain Ruffle Border
How to Crochet a 4 Inch Hole Christmas Tree Skirt Part 3/3
How to Crochet a 5 Inch Hole Christmas Tree Skirt Part 1/3
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...