A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: If you see a project that you think is awesome and deserves to be a featured project, you can click the THIS ROCKS button to nominate it!
Total Members: 302,549
Currently Running With Scissors:
756 Guests and 32 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: HELP!!! NEED A DRESS FOR COSPLAYING AS CHI FROM CHOBITS & AM TOTALLY LOST.  (Read 1136 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

SexyVixen
« on: April 29, 2007 11:44:29 PM »

I am going to my first ever convention on May 25th. I can't sew and don't really have anyone that can help me make a dress. I have a few ideas of the style dress I would like but was wondering if anyone had some ideas I could use that would look really nice for this character. I want the dress to be a light pink and have been told that sateen, silk, poplin, and raton are good fabrics to use for the kind of dress I would like. What do you think?? I want the dress to not have a petticoat but for the dress to not be just straight down like maybe have a circle skirt bottom to the dress. I have pictures of the kind of style I want and also a dress that I would have worn which would have been perfect if only it was a size bigger.

to see it just type in this im sure you can figure it out its a photobucket link ... image H T T P image photobucket dot com slash albums slash v 202 slash darkone_696 slash other % 20pics slash possibledress dot jpg image

To see ideas on what other outfits she wears check it out on google.com just type in Chi Chobits or you can go to youtube and watch the anime... there are a few really simple dresses there that I would like to have. I need this made before May 25th....anyone know anyone in Hamilton that can make dresses really well that don't cost an arm and a leg? Average price to have a dress made and average time like can they make it in a week or two and how much for some fabric?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
staciart

Old, but not rotten...yet.

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2007 11:52:49 AM »

I'm replying so you don't feel you've being ignored. Cheesy  I'm so sorry I have no help for you, though Sad  lol, as a matter of fact, I need a dictionary to know what you're asking - there are soooooo many things I don't know about, sl I will go google now. Best of luck to you!!  Cheesy

THIS ROCKS   Logged
SexyVixen
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2007 11:59:14 AM »

I'm replying so you don't feel you've being ignored. Cheesy  I'm so sorry I have no help for you, though Sad  lol, as a matter of fact, I need a dictionary to know what you're asking - there are soooooo many things I don't know about, sl I will go google now. Best of luck to you!!  Cheesy

Wow thanks!!! Nice to see someone is at least trying to help me out here even if you know nothing about this stuff like I don't. You need a dictionary to know what I am asking??? If your confused about things like what a circle skirt is etc just google it both web and images and you can see what I mean.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
marypoppins

Duct Tape Rules!!!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2007 12:05:57 PM »

Don't have any suggestions about places to go in your area.  But the price will all depend on how complicated your dress is, how fast you need it, if you provide all the materials or if they would have to buy the material.  You need to find some good pictures of the front and back of the dress that you want to have so that the person can have a clear idea of what you want.

You might try asking at a local dry cleaners.  They can sometimes suggest someone that does alterations and custom sewing.

Or a bridal shop.

Good luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Don't call it trash...I can make something with it!!!
SexyVixen
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2007 12:34:02 PM »

Don't have any suggestions about places to go in your area.  But the price will all depend on how complicated your dress is, how fast you need it, if you provide all the materials or if they would have to buy the material.  You need to find some good pictures of the front and back of the dress that you want to have so that the person can have a clear idea of what you want.

You might try asking at a local dry cleaners.  They can sometimes suggest someone that does alterations and custom sewing.

Or a bridal shop.

Good luck!

Thanks!!! I figured that if I was having the dress made for me that I would have to buy all the fabric. I think I am about a size 11 dress. I would want it to be in light pink material and a little bit of black material maybe some lace. The dress should probably be made out of poplin, or rayon and the lining would be of sateen. I hope to have a dress that goes just before the knees and has a circle skirt bottom or something that will puff out without needing a petticoat etc.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
staciart

Old, but not rotten...yet.

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2007 10:35:10 AM »

LOL! Nah, I know what a circle skirt is, it is the COSPLAYING AS CHI FROM CHOBITS part...

OH OH OH!  Got it now!   Verrrry cute!  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Boffcat
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2007 12:01:20 PM »

Would it be possible to enlarge your existing ebay costume? It seems that'd be the simplest thing to do with a deadline looming, and a dressmaker should be able to turn that around much more quickly (and cheaply) than making a costume from scratch. Depending on how much too small it is it might just be a case of letting out a couple of seams and altering a dart or two. If bigger alterations are needed then you're getting into murky adding-extra-fabric territory, but if this is done carefully it should still come out well.

Good luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Who would have thought - I have a blog!
SexyVixen
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2007 04:39:51 PM »

Would it be possible to enlarge your existing ebay costume? It seems that'd be the simplest thing to do with a deadline looming, and a dressmaker should be able to turn that around much more quickly (and cheaply) than making a costume from scratch. Depending on how much too small it is it might just be a case of letting out a couple of seams and altering a dart or two. If bigger alterations are needed then you're getting into murky adding-extra-fabric territory, but if this is done carefully it should still come out well.

Good luck!

Ha no I wish. The outfit was made to small and cant be fixed and I dont have time to order a outfit. I have already asked about if it can be fixed and it cant.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Kyttyee

Riding on a shooting star...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2007 06:17:22 AM »

Yay Chii cosplayers!! I don't have suggestions about where to go in your area either, but is your current situation that you know of at least one person who does sewing but charges a lot, or that you don't know of anyone at all?  If you don't know of anyone at all, you could try marypoppins' suggestion.  Once you've found somebody, then you could discuss relative pricing/difficulty/speed of either making a new dress or altering the one you already have.  I think if it's just one size too small, it might be able to be altered.

Also, how complicated of a dress are you thinking of?  As in, is it more like Chii's dresses from the manga (which are ridiculously complicated) or from the anime?  Some of her anime dresses are fairly simple, and as this is your first con, maybe you could settle for a pretty, but not as complicated dress?  Then it would be faster to make and probably cost less to make too.  I couldn't get your picture to work.  Could you just like go to the picture page, and then cut and paste the URL?

As for how much fabric...  Well, I looked at the fabric suggestions for a pattern I have that's sort of the same shape as Chii's dresses, and it calls for about 3 yards of dress material and 1 yard of lining material for the biggest size my pattern goes up to (42" bust).
THIS ROCKS   Logged

On ne voit bien qu'avec le coeur.  L'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux.

Papillon de Nuit | Artfire | Etsy
SexyVixen
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2007 10:03:59 AM »

Yay Chii cosplayers!! I don't have suggestions about where to go in your area either, but is your current situation that you know of at least one person who does sewing but charges a lot, or that you don't know of anyone at all?  If you don't know of anyone at all, you could try marypoppins' suggestion.  Once you've found somebody, then you could discuss relative pricing/difficulty/speed of either making a new dress or altering the one you already have.  I think if it's just one size too small, it might be able to be altered.

Also, how complicated of a dress are you thinking of?  As in, is it more like Chii's dresses from the manga (which are ridiculously complicated) or from the anime?  Some of her anime dresses are fairly simple, and as this is your first con, maybe you could settle for a pretty, but not as complicated dress?  Then it would be faster to make and probably cost less to make too.  I couldn't get your picture to work.  Could you just like go to the picture page, and then cut and paste the URL?

As for how much fabric...  Well, I looked at the fabric suggestions for a pattern I have that's sort of the same shape as Chii's dresses, and it calls for about 3 yards of dress material and 1 yard of lining material for the biggest size my pattern goes up to (42" bust).

Unless my mom knows of someone that can sew and have the time for it which knowing my luck she wont or they wont have the time as afar as I know I dont know anyone that can sew. What is Marypoppins?? I don't have a dress to be altered I need one made from scratch. The last outfit that I was going to wear as her outfit was made to small and it cannot be fixed I have already asked. I could email you the pictures but I cant seem to find that pictyure online I have been looking and the dress idea I want to have made isnt that complicated at all but I cant find a pattern for it and I have tried online as well as actually going out and looking. That busy you mentioned would be a little big on me. I dont have a petticoat so I guess I will have to make the dress bottom be something like a circle skirt so it poofs out a little and isnt just a straight bottom cut dress. I want the dress to be a light pink with a little black in it... Any suggestions on fabric or anything else?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Pull Off the Menswear Look
7 Most Unforgettable Gowns From the Oscars
Oscar Dresses That Made History
The Most Talked About Oscars Dresses Of All Time
3 Best Trends From London Fashion Week!
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...