A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Craftster is for freely sharing how to make things! Don't post pics of things you sell in hopes of getting some sales or we'll have to bust out the LIMBO stick on you! Wink
Total Members: 297,520
Currently Running With Scissors:
673 Guests and 24 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 18
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Diamond and Smocked Baby Blanket KAL!  (Read 18533 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

linda63pt
« Reply #60 on: June 07, 2007 07:06:18 PM »

All the blankets are beautiful!  I'm hoping to make one soon, for I am also making baby blankets for all those pregnant friends this year.  I was wondering how much yarn people have been using?  Is the pattern
recommendations pretty reliable? 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
JennBabe
« Reply #61 on: June 07, 2007 08:39:48 PM »

I am using Lion Brand BabySoft, and I have just finished the first skein.  I'm sure that two skeins will be enough.  Each skein is approximately 459 yards. Hope that helps!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

herekitty
« Reply #62 on: June 07, 2007 09:15:01 PM »

I haven't had much time to work on this, but it's a long weekend here so I'm hoping to get a good chunk of it done.  Here's a progress shot...

It's not a very clear photo sorry, I had to use the flash because it's dark, wintry weather here in Sydney for a change
THIS ROCKS   Logged
WIPs

The WIPs Phenomenon

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: June 07, 2007 09:15:20 PM »

That's a really pretty green. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

100 Themes ATC: 1/100 Grin
fishie
she of the sea

perfecting neuroticism since 1984

View Profile WWW
« Reply #64 on: June 08, 2007 03:28:24 AM »

All the blankets are beautiful!  I'm hoping to make one soon, for I am also making baby blankets for all those pregnant friends this year.  I was wondering how much yarn people have been using?  Is the pattern
recommendations pretty reliable? 

I believe the pattern calls for 13 or 14g of yarn, so I bought three skeins of 5g Bernat Softee baby for each blanket, but only ended up using two (and not even ALL of the two!)  I was using size 6 needles, like recommended for the pattern.  Maybe my yarn weight was a little different than the recommended yarn?  Or maybe acrylic is just lighter than wool!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

If it lives in the water or flies in the air, I'm in love with it. In New Zealand I saw a flying fish and almost wet myself.

Blog!
Etsy!
Wists!
Nashira
« Reply #65 on: June 08, 2007 09:35:06 AM »

Fishie: Your speed knitting is something to be reckoned with! I'm completely in awe!  Grin
They look beautiful... I bet you can't wait to see them tucked around their new little owners! Makes me wish I had a reason to knit another one... maybe I'll do just that and put it in my hope chest (yeah, I'm old fashioned like that). Wink

linda63pt: When I bought my yarn I basically just eyeballed it. I figured the reliability of a pattern from the 50's was possibly in question - just things like needle consistency and yarn weight... just figure on how much you need, and buy slightly more... that way you're not boned if you get near the end and realize you need just a leeetle bit more.

herekitty: OMG! The colour of your blankie is SO like mine I'm having flashbacks! What kind of yarn is it? It's looking awesome!  Cheesy

THIS ROCKS   Logged
jess83
« Reply #66 on: June 08, 2007 09:54:56 AM »

hehehe...herekitty, that green is almost identical to mine too! I won't post a picture since, well, I can't yet, and I'm pretty much at the same place as you.

Linda63pt, I'm using Knit Picks Swish Superwash in Dublin (110 yards/50 grams) on size 8 circs. I bought 12 skeins, but I also decided to add on more stitches than what the original pattern called for. I should end up with a 36" x 36" blanket (I hope!).
THIS ROCKS   Logged
herekitty
« Reply #67 on: June 09, 2007 12:51:40 AM »

herekitty: OMG! The colour of your blankie is SO like mine I'm having flashbacks! What kind of yarn is it? It's looking awesome!  Cheesy

Thanks Nashira, it reminds me of the colour of yours too, which I'm very happy about!  Especially as I got the yarn from ebay...and you never know if the colours are going to be what you expect when you buy online.
The yarn is 100% merino, dk weight from ebay seller yarn treehouse.  It's lovely and soft.  Only problem is it said it was machine washable in the auction listing, but the label says it's not...oh well. 

THIS ROCKS   Logged
kaela
« Reply #68 on: June 15, 2007 08:09:06 AM »

WIP shot:

I'm not very far along but I'm hoping to get much further this weekend.  Plus, I have now finished the other baby blanket I was working on (which I will post in completed projects just as soon as i can get a decent picture). 

BTW, linda36pt: the pattern is very reliable.  I had to rip back once but that was all about me not doing the yo on purl stitches correctly.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

linda63pt
« Reply #69 on: June 15, 2007 06:06:56 PM »

kaela,  I love the color. 
Everyone, thank you for your input on the amount of yarn.  I'm hoping to cast on soon.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 18 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How To Make Turkey Stuffing
How to Make Pepper Crusted New York Steak
How to Cook White Beans
How to Make Cheese Souffle
How to make Salmon 1-2-3
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Seed Packet Gifts
Cooking: Honey Month
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...